PDA

View Full Version : Marte and Gordon pitch 3 days in a row...

Tragg
09-07-2003, 09:05 PM
with leads (at least when Gordon was in) of 2, 3 and 4 runs. Now while I realize that every game is important, the goal is to still win the division.

And Gordon and Marte cannot pitch every day.

So why not rest at least one of them WITH A FOUR RUN LEAD, when you may need them tomorrow with a 1 run lead?

inta
09-07-2003, 09:07 PM
check the pitch counts for those guys the past 2 days.

Brian26
09-07-2003, 09:15 PM
I think Gordon and Marte could pitch an inning everyday at this point. They're both gamers, and this is crunch time.

Keep in mind, if this thing is still close in the last week, every pitcher on the staff will be available at any time.

Unlike other points in the season, this is when you have to worry about TODAY and not tomorrow. Every game is important, and you have to worry about winning these like they're the 7th game of the World Series. Worry about tomorrow when it comes. If you lose today, tomorrow may not matter.

MRKARNO
09-07-2003, 09:22 PM
This is not the time to worry about burning out players. We need to get there and once we clinch we can rest the players

kempsted
09-08-2003, 08:55 AM
It was stupid yesterday. 7-3 lead - Why use Gordon. DJ says "He's just in to get some work." :?: What a tool.

Kilroy
09-08-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by kempsted
It was stupid yesterday. 7-3 lead - Why use Gordon. DJ says "He's just in to get some work." :?: What a tool.

Gordon started warming up when it was 5-3. That's a save situation. By the time he came in Konerko had added 2 more for the home team. Not only that, but tonight, the Sox are sending Colon who will likely go 8, and almost always has a shot at going the full 9. I have no problem with JM managing to win the game they were playing, and turning his attention to the next game after the job was done.

hold2dibber
09-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Gordon and Marte threw very few pitches this weekend, despite pitching in all 3 games. Nonetheless, I would have been in favor of giving the 9th yesterday to Koch or Pantiaqua or someone else. I've also been surprised by the lack of IPs that Wunsch has been getting. I do not understand why JM doesn't use him a little more frequently. He has been absolutely lights out this year.

TraderTim
09-08-2003, 10:20 AM
With 20 games or thereabouts to go...I think JM is getting the troops into the feel of how they will be used in the playoffs.

These guys are very capable of pitching at the level they are being used for an extended stretch. And they'll be used that way in the playoffs. There's a rhythm they need to get used to.

Forkit!

inta
09-08-2003, 10:49 AM
not to defend manuel (i feel dirty now), but something also can be said about keeping a team psychology.
those guys knowing they helped contribute to a sweep can only help them mentally.