PDA

View Full Version : Pitching Rotation Question

Lip Man 1
09-07-2003, 12:58 PM
The Sox stacked their rotation for the four games with the Twins and I assume that if they have to, they'll do it again for the final four games in Kansas City.

But what happens if they need to play a game on the 29th to determine who goes to the playoffs?

Certainly Manager Gandhi wouldn't pitch Danny Wright would he?

His only other option would be going with the Thursday starter on three days rest.

Neither option is exactly comforting is it? It's about now that you realize the Sox should have taken care of the 5th starter problem a LONG time ago. It's obviously coming into play in the final few weeks.

Lip

Huisj
09-07-2003, 01:26 PM
:jerry
"I heard there's a kid named cotts who pitched well last night in the minors. I'll throw him so our #1 will be ready to go with some extra rest if we make the playoffs."

MRKARNO
09-07-2003, 04:15 PM
I'd assume it'd be Buehrle on three days rest if the rotation stands as is

hold2dibber
09-08-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The Sox stacked their rotation for the four games with the Twins and I assume that if they have to, they'll do it again for the final four games in Kansas City.

But what happens if they need to play a game on the 29th to determine who goes to the playoffs?

His only other option would be going with the Thursday starter on three days rest.

Neither option is exactly comforting is it? It's about now that you realize the Sox should have taken care of the 5th starter problem a LONG time ago. It's obviously coming into play in the final few weeks.

Lip

It's obviously coming into play because ... the Sox might have a one game playoff after the season? That is, statistically speaking, a pretty unlikely occurrence, so I don't think it's accurate to say that that remote possibility makes it obvious that the 5th starter situation is coming into play.

Iwritecode
09-08-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I'd assume it'd be Buehrle on three days rest if the rotation stands as is

Actually, Burly could go on 4 days rest on the 29th if the rotation stays the way it is.

Lip

I'm not sure Jerry will be able to mess with the rotation too much throughout the rest of the year. Right now they are lined up to hav Loazia, Colon & Burly go against NY. At the same time Minny and KC are playing Cleveland and Detroit. Which series is more important, the NY series or the KC series?

I think right now they either go to a 4-man rotation, or hope that Wright can pitch well enough against Boston and KC (twice) to keep them in each game...

Lip Man 1
09-08-2003, 12:31 PM
Hold:

I seem to recall a guy named Danny Wright having to pitch yesterday and I seem to recall reading where he may get another start in Boston this weekend if the rotation set up holds.

Having to rely on Danny Wright to pitch well with three weeks left in a pennent race where every game is the difference between first and second place IS having a 5th starter spot come into play.

It should have been solved months ago so that the Sox wouldn't have to be in this position and it could have been easily solved by trading away another two or three "can't miss kids."

Lip

Dadawg_77
09-08-2003, 12:43 PM
Lip,
The thing is who was on the Market? Jeff Suppan? Kevin Appier? The difference between these guys and Danny Wright is hardly worth a avg single A ball player. Plus rumor has it that the Sox were prepared to trade for one of Zona's Big Two but the deal fell apart when Zona got back into the race. Now that would have made a major impact on the race, Jeff Suppan doesn't.

ode to veeck
09-08-2003, 12:43 PM
For what its worth, Danny Wright did his job well yesterday

Lip Man 1
09-08-2003, 12:47 PM
Ode:

He did...and he also did his job horribly for the three or four months prior to that.

The Sox shouldn't have to have had to shoot craps with Danny Wright given what's at stake.

Lip

ode to veeck
09-08-2003, 01:03 PM
Yeah, I'm nervous as hell its all going to go to pieces every time he has a start at this point

Iwritecode
09-08-2003, 01:51 PM
There was an article in either the Times or Tribune (don't remember which) that mentioned with the one more off-day Jerry could skip Wright's start in Boston but that Colon, Burly and Garland would all have to pitch on three days rest.

I'm not sure which would be better, letting Wright pitch the first game and Colon and Burly go on 4-days rest, or the above mentioned plan...

anewman35
09-08-2003, 02:08 PM
Ode:

He did...and he also did his job horribly for the three or four months prior to that.

The Sox shouldn't have to have had to shoot craps with Danny Wright given what's at stake.

Lip

Please, name me a team that has a solid, reliable, 5th starter. Sure, it would be nice to have one, but it's not like we're the only ones here. 5th starters are 5th starters for a reason, they usually aren't very good.

Lip Man 1
09-08-2003, 04:52 PM
Anew says: "Please, name me a team that has a solid, reliable, 5th starter. Sure, it would be nice to have one, but it's not like we're the only ones here. 5th starters are 5th starters for a reason, they usually aren't very good.

That's my point new, how much of an advantage would the Sox have now if there 5th starters were not 3-10 in 25 games?

I'm not saying get a twenty game winner just go out and get a guy who can win you eight to eleven games.

The Sox have had them before Koosman in 83, Sanderson in 94.

Then you have 1996 when the Sox blew a Wild Card spot because they DID NOT have one. They went like 4-15 with Mike Bertotti the "ace" with two wins.

Guys were available, the Sox ignored them. I just hope this doesn't come back to hammer them big time (It already has I guess...)

Just something to consider next season before the Sox again hope guys like Wright, Cotts, Adkins etc are going to bail them out of losing Colon AND trying to fill the 5th spot.

Lip

Randar68
09-08-2003, 04:56 PM

Lip

If ever there was a way to cry and bitch about the 5th starters spot a month before it is a one-game playoff issue, Lip will find it....

"WHAAAAAHHHH!!!! Kenny Rogers is my lover!!!!!"

BLA!

:threadsucks

MRKARNO
09-08-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Lip,
The thing is who was on the Market? Jeff Suppan? Kevin Appier? The difference between these guys and Danny Wright is hardly worth a avg single A ball player. Plus rumor has it that the Sox were prepared to trade for one of Zona's Big Two but the deal fell apart when Zona got back into the race. Now that would have made a major impact on the race, Jeff Suppan doesn't.

IIRC, we're on Curt Schilling's list of teams that he can't be traded to without approval

Tragg
09-08-2003, 10:03 PM
What I want to know is whether Garland supplants MB in the #3 spot for the playoffs. He's been extaordinarily consistent most ot the year.

RichH55
09-09-2003, 12:43 AM
Hold:

I seem to recall a guy named Danny Wright having to pitch yesterday and I seem to recall reading where he may get another start in Boston this weekend if the rotation set up holds.

Having to rely on Danny Wright to pitch well with three weeks left in a pennent race where every game is the difference between first and second place IS having a 5th starter spot come into play.

It should have been solved months ago so that the Sox wouldn't have to be in this position and it could have been easily solved by trading away another two or three "can't miss kids."

Lip

Could have always dealt C. Lee for Helling:):):) :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

RichH55
09-09-2003, 12:48 AM

Lip

I know...I mean to think only having 4 high quality starting pitchers? For Shame, and of course we aren't in first place by enough, and yeah C.Lee is having a career year, but he swings at the first pitch too much, so he is worthless.

Posters are making points like "Has Garland's recent consistency overcome Buerhle to be our 3rd starter?" To think at the start at last season that you could even fathom an arguement that Buerhle would be as good as a 4th Starter for this team is mind-blowing to me...But having to occasionally deal with Wright as a 5th(?!?!) Starter somehow negates that? Wright was expecting to be a top 4 guy for us, and now he doesn't even count as being an option for the 5th spot?

And for the series that count : Twins and KC...we will have our top guys going, right? If we wind up having to go to a playoff after getting shots at our two biggest rivals with our best case rotation, wouldn't that fall onto the players somewhat? You can only put a guy in a position to produce so many times until its his fault he doesnt produce

maurice
09-09-2003, 11:08 AM
Are you saying that you wouldn't trade Jon Garland or Carlos Lee to get a Rick Helling or Juan Carlos Pulido?!?

daveeym
09-09-2003, 04:08 PM
Williams already got us a 5th starter, he's called Loiza, too bad he had to go and save the season and become our #1. :gulp:

shane
09-09-2003, 04:17 PM
Are you saying that you wouldn't trade Jon Garland or Carlos Lee to get a Rick Helling or Juan Carlos Pulido?!?

I don't think getting rid of Carlos would be a good idea right now. Have you not been watching his defense? It's freaking amazing this season. Thank God he's been there to save Carl's jogging butt a couple of times. He also has a tendency to be the guy that gets things going when the Sox are struggling at the plate.

Randar68
09-09-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by shane
I don't think getting rid of Carlos would be a good idea right now. Have you not been watching his defense? It's freaking amazing this season. Thank God he's been there to save Carl's jogging butt a couple of times. He also has a tendency to be the guy that gets things going when the Sox are struggling at the plate.

He was being sarcastic. These are some of the things Lip has been crying about all season.