PDA

View Full Version : Make the 83 uni's the norm?

inta
09-07-2003, 11:50 AM
Would anyone else like to see the chisox make the old mid-80's uniforms the normal/everyday uniform for the sox?
I have no problems with the current sox uni's (except the sleeveless jerseys - peeyew). but i always loved the old 80's uniforms.

bringing back such unique uniforms could also bring in more fans for the sox. i see so many kids wearing the old school hats nowadays, and hip hop artists on mtv wearing the old jerseys....
it's quite the trend, and it's not like you're bringing back something ridiculous like the flat top pirates caps.

TornLabrum
09-07-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by inta
Would anyone else like to see the chisox make the old mid-80's uniforms the normal/everyday uniform for the sox?
I have no problems with the current sox uni's (except the sleeveless jerseys - peeyew). but i always loved the old 80's uniforms.

bringing back such unique uniforms could also bring in more fans for the sox. i see so many kids wearing the old school hats nowadays, and hip hop artists on mtv wearing the old jerseys....
it's quite the trend, and it's not like you're bringing back something ridiculous like the flat top pirates caps.

Those uniforms were absolutely horrible. The only worse uniform I can think of is the Astros jerseys from the same period.

doogiec
09-07-2003, 12:05 PM
No, they were ugly then and uglier now that no other team wears goofy uniforms anymore.

inta
09-07-2003, 12:08 PM
ok, i'm assuming only 20-30 somethings will agree with me.

DrCrawdad
09-07-2003, 12:08 PM

YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD...

...NO!

DrCrawdad
09-07-2003, 12:17 PM

I'm 39 yrs old, so I guess I still fall in the above age group. Those '83 uniform were great for the game yesterday but they're my least favorite Sox uniforms.

I'd take these:

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/images/Uniforms/76Jammies.jpg

Over these:

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/images/Uniforms/82DoubleKnits.jpg

soxrme
09-07-2003, 12:28 PM
I am one of the older ones and I vote no also. Just don't like them.

MarkV
09-07-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
I'm 39 yrs old, so I guess I still fall in the above age group. Those '83 uniform were great for the game yesterday but they're my least favorite Sox uniforms.

I'd take these:

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/images/Uniforms/76Jammies.jpg

Over these:

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/images/Uniforms/82DoubleKnits.jpg

Whoa! I don't know about that. Next to the old Burger King Padres uni's, the late 70's/early 80's Sox vests were the worst. The unis we have now are the best and they should be permanent like the Yankees', BoSox', and Tiggers'.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-07-2003, 12:36 PM
If we were Houston Astros fans, I would say, "Absolutely, bring those '83 uni's back!"

The fact is those uniforms were a direct rip-off of the Houston Astros uniforms of the 1970's. Even the numeral on the pant leg had been done years earlier by Houston. The reason the Sox stopped using them after only five years was because they were so dated. The design concept was already middle-aged before the Sox introduced them in 1982. Other teams (notably the Astros) had been doing similar uniform designs for over 10 years.

The Winning Ugly uniforms are great for an occasional nostalgia trip, but nothing more. I say bring them back for a 25th anniversary game in 2008. Between now and then? Furgettaboutit.

Brian26
09-07-2003, 12:38 PM
Do NOT change the current Sox uniforms ever.

The current Sox unis are the best in their maligned uniform history, and they're one of the top 3 or 4 uniforms in baseball. Both the home and road uniforms are classic and should not be altered in any way!

The '83 unis were fun to look at for one day, but that's it.

Daver
09-07-2003, 12:43 PM
Bring back the Red Pin Stripes,they'd go great with the blue seats.

Huisj
09-07-2003, 12:44 PM
current ones are the best. keep 'em!

ssang
09-07-2003, 12:44 PM
I am going to say YES! They're unique. The '83 uniform was ugly for a while but as we all know fashion makes comebacks. These uniforms are friggin' awesome now.

duke of dorwood
09-07-2003, 12:55 PM
NO NO NO-

LongLiveFisk
09-07-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Do NOT change the current Sox uniforms ever.

The current Sox unis are the best in their maligned uniform history, and they're one of the top 3 or 4 uniforms in baseball. Both the home and road uniforms are classic and should not be altered in any way!

The '83 unis were fun to look at for one day, but that's it.

Brian, you stole my thunder.

Agreed 100% :cool:

TornLabrum
09-07-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by ssang
I am going to say YES! They're unique. The '83 uniform was ugly for a while but as we all know fashion makes comebacks. These uniforms are friggin' awesome now.

That's kind of like saying disco sucked for awhile but now it's awesome. Never was, never will be.

hempsox
09-07-2003, 01:06 PM

These uniforms are great...for kids going to the mall. They are retro uniforms because !they are not worn on an everyday basis by our team! Besides if we schedule a throwback uni more than once during any year the sox are destined to lose the majority of these games.

MarqSox
09-07-2003, 02:45 PM
Opinion on 1983 uniforms: AWFUL!!!

GoSox2K3
09-07-2003, 02:48 PM
I'm age 35. Those 80s uniforms are horrible. They're only slightly better than the pajama uniforms they replaced.

The Sox have great uniforms now. I think those sleeveless unis look pretty sharp.

FJA
09-07-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Opinion on 1983 uniforms: AWFUL!!!

Opinion on 1983 uniforms: Fun for a day, a bad idea for the norm.

hsnterprize
09-07-2003, 03:44 PM
"Would anyone else like to see the chisox make the old mid-80's uniforms the normal/everyday uniform for the sox?

it's quite the trend, and it's not like you're bringing back something ridiculous like the flat top pirates caps."

No...even though I LOVE those 83 uni's, the current ones are the best in baseball. Personally, I wouldn't have minded seeing the 83 uni's every Sunday like the 1917 series winning uni's. Still...it was great to see the players in the 83 uni's again. They bring back such great joyful memories for Sox fans like me. Forgive my age (I'm only 31 years old), but I think those 83 uni's, other than the current ones, are the best uni's the Sox have worn.

Personally, I don't think bringing back the old uni's will bring more fans to teh Sox. You'll definitely will see more hip-hop fans wearing such items, and hip-hop artists wearing them in their music videos. But, you saw a lot of hip-hop stars wearing NHL jerseys in their videos in the early 90's. And yet, there aren't many black hockey fans cascading to arenas across North America, are they? I'm a hockey fan who happens to be black, but it's not because Snoop Doggy Dogg wore a makeshift Hartford Whalers sweater in one of his videos. I like hockey because of the game, as well as the tradition of the sport. I admire the Hawks for their history, but they need to seriously go on a tear to convince me their interested in winning for me to show interest in them as much as I used to again. I'll check out the Wolves more than I'll see the Hawks, and explaining why would be another thread itself.

doublem23
09-07-2003, 03:56 PM
I'm 20 and while the 83 uni's are kind of cool, they'd get old REAL FAST... Nice for a throwback every now and then, but the current jerseys are awesome. What they should wear more often are the vests... Those are nice.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-07-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
I'm 20 and while the 83 uni's are kind of cool, they'd get old REAL FAST... Nice for a throwback every now and then, but the current jerseys are awesome. What they should wear more often are the vests... Those are nice.

I'm a big fan of the vests, too. I admit I was completely wrong when I dissed the Sox back in 1999 when that style was introduced. I thought they were doing it strictly to sell more merchandise. The look has been growing on me ever since and I now think it is easily the best looking vest style of any major league team. The other Sox jerseys are classics, too. Don't screw with perfection, I say.

HawkDJ
09-07-2003, 04:50 PM
I'm only 16 but I really don't understand what's so great about those 83 unis. They are pretty ugly in my opinion. The only unis I've ever known are the current ones, and I would agree they are the best. All of the current ones are perfect.

hsnterprize
09-07-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ
I'm only 16 but I really don't understand what's so great about those 83 unis. They are pretty ugly in my opinion. The only unis I've ever known are the current ones, and I would agree they are the best. All of the current ones are perfect. You've got to understand that for many of use who were your age back in the 80's, this was the trend in uniforms not just by the Sox, but by a lot of teams. A lot of teams put a lot of flash into their uniforms, and it wasn't until the late-80's/early-90's when teh "traditional" look came back into baseball. Not to mention, those were the uniforms the Sox wore when they won Chicago's first baseball championship (granted, it was a division title, but it was more than what was happening in recent years...which was nothing). The 1983 White Sox were in a class by themselves. It's a shame they couldn't go further than the ALCS that year.

dickallen15
09-07-2003, 05:27 PM
Those 83 uni's were horrible, you'd be sick of them after one series. The current uni's are the best. Bring back the red pinstripes, and blue jerseys with the red Chicago script across the front for road games, for all weekend games. Those were the uniforms I used to wear.

hose
09-07-2003, 05:38 PM

No today , no tomorrow , and no next week.

ewokpelts
09-07-2003, 06:02 PM
the vests are gone.....they're single piece jerseys with black sleeves instead of pinstripes...i think the players weren't enamored with them...as for the 83 "old skool" jerseys......maybe on weekends, maybe once a year, but not all the time...i think the 91-now jerseys are the right look for this team.......the post war sox realy only had two real good designs, 59 and current...which btw, just so happen to mirror one another very closely....when a team changes unis a lot(like the sox did between 59-91), it's only to either sell more merch or drum up some interest in the club....which, as we all know , was hard to do back in the day, considering how much they sucked...it's a wonder that jerry didnt switch the uniforms in those "dark days" post-white flag
Gene

p.s. did anyone notice how long it took the sox to finally jump on the "let's have a 80's throwback day!" bandwagon.....gotta give him some props for not jumping headfirst into it

Procol Harum
09-07-2003, 06:12 PM
Like most people in this thread, I think the '83 unis are "cute" to see as a "throwback" to honor the '83 team but beyond that --yeeecccchhh! The three-tone home caps were the absolute worst--even back then I refused to be seen in one, opting instead for the away hats which had the red bill and a solid navy crown.

At any rate, our current unis look great and there's no need to ever change them.

Let's all pray that the day never comes when a "throwback" event highlights Reinsdorf's Dodgeresque unis of the '86-'90 period and the curly-q, "pig's tail C" caps.

TornLabrum
09-07-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Like most people in this thread, I think the '83 unis are "cute" to see as a "throwback" to honor the '83 team but beyond that --yeeecccchhh! The three-tone home caps were the absolute worst--even back then I refused to be seen in one, opting instead for the away hats which had the red bill and a solid navy crown.

At any rate, our current unis look great and there's no need to ever change them.

Let's all pray that the day never comes when a "throwback" event highlights Reinsdorf's Dodgeresque unis of the '86-'90 period and the curly-q, "pig's tail C" caps.

The home caps were the only part of that uniform I liked.

emaholic
09-07-2003, 06:22 PM
At first, I thought the '83 uniforms were ugly, but they grew on me and now I love them. But I have to agree with the majority here that the current uniforms are the best and should stay that way.

Procol Harum
09-07-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
The home caps were the only part of that uniform I liked.

Maybe it was the way all the cheap-o hats of that design looked--reminded me too much of the 1.99 hats at the local pump n' munch--you know, the multi-color ones with a foamish center panel w/ a trout on 'em or "Old Fart" or somesuch printed thereon.... :)

Paulwny
09-07-2003, 06:28 PM
Any word of the players' feelings about the uni ?

inta
09-07-2003, 07:59 PM
wow. i had no idea there'd be such overwhelming hate for the 80's uni's...

most people i know love them.
no doubt the current uniforms are great, but they'll always seem like yankee/cubs derivitives to me... pinstripes with a chest logo...

i dunno, i also like more modern looking stadiums like the cell, safeco, and skydome than i like old school looking ones like wrigley or camden...

i actually like our grey away uniforms more than the home pinstripes...

and i HATE the vest.

MRKARNO
09-07-2003, 08:09 PM
wow. i had no idea there'd be such overwhelming hate for the 80's uni's...

most people i know love them.
no doubt the current uniforms are great, but they'll always seem like yankee/cubs derivitives to me... pinstripes with a chest logo...

i dunno, i also like more modern looking stadiums like the cell, safeco, and skydome than i like old school looking ones like wrigley or camden...

i actually like our grey away uniforms more than the home pinstripes...

and i HATE the vest.

Well that's the thing about our current unis, there's nothing wrong with them. No one ever complains about them. I think we'll be keeping the current logo and unis for another 10+ years minimum

TornLabrum
09-07-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Well that's the thing about our current unis, there's nothing wrong with them. No one ever complains about them. I think we'll be keeping the current logo and unis for another 10+ years minimum

The only complaint I have about the current uniforms is that they don't wear them enough. The faux vest is okay, but I'm really tired of the black shirts. The "regular" uniform doesn't get worn nearly enough. It goes straight back to the design of Chuck Comiskey who modeled them on the Yankee pinstripes. It's a classic look.

THE_HOOTER
09-07-2003, 10:44 PM
The vest is HORRIBLE>

Stick with the White home shirt, and gray on the road. The vest and black uniforms are horrible.

soxnut
09-07-2003, 11:00 PM

NO THEY ARE NOT. AND THE FASHIONS OF TODAY ARE PRETTY NASTY AS WELL( exept for the low rise pants on women) Iwent through the bad 70's once, and don't want to see it again, as for th 80's you can bring everything besides the uniforms!! :whiner:

mike squires
09-07-2003, 11:55 PM
Man, I was unable to see the game in the Champaign area. I was so hoping ot see those 83' unis. I thought it would be on Fox but is wasn't in this area. Damn. I'm telling you though, getting all those sigs on my seat was awesome!!!!!!

39thandWallace
09-08-2003, 12:22 AM
I hate The 83 uniform. I wore a very similar jersey on my Little League team during the same span of time. Ugly polyester garbage. The only thing that makes this uniform worse is a mesh hat.

Kroozah
09-08-2003, 12:35 AM
Why not break out the shorts for a game also :D

Bring Harry Chapas out of retirement while were at it. :D

Nellie_Fox
09-08-2003, 12:56 AM
The only thing the '83 uni is good for is to remind you of why sports teams shouldn't try to be trendy with their uniforms. It was a bad idea then, and would be a worse idea now, as it would be an even shorter-lived trend.

I'm with Procol. I would not wear the home cap back then; I only had the road cap. It was ugly enough without the white front panel.

Bisco Stu
09-08-2003, 02:33 AM
This thread is a joke, like those 83 uni's.

They look like something a baseball clown would wear.

VeeckAsInWreck
09-08-2003, 02:44 AM
I like the '83 uniforms, but I could only take them on Sundays. I agree with the majority that the current uni's are the best.

P.S. The Vests rule!

LuvSox
09-08-2003, 08:52 AM
:threadsucks

davenicholson
09-08-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
I like hockey because of the game, as well as the tradition of the sport. I admire the Hawks for their history, but they need to seriously go on a tear to convince me their interested in winning for me to show interest in them as much as I used to again. I'll check out the Wolves more than I'll see the Hawks, and explaining why would be another thread itself.
I'd follow you on that thread! The few, the proud, the Blackhawks fans! If any of my fellow Sox fans start to feel bad about ownership, media coverage or lack of commitment to winning, try following the Hawks for a season or two. When spring comes and the Hawks are out of the playoffs again, Sox Park will seem like Yankee stadium.

SpringfldFan
09-08-2003, 09:11 AM
I too, like the current home uniforms. They are as good as it gets right now in the MLB. However, in 83 I loved those too, but it was a different attitude and mindset back then. Heck, most of the road uniforms were baby blue, too. Jerseys were pullovers, belts were elastic, you could actually see the socks underneath the stirrups, and the uniform fit as tightly as spandex. But that was the trend then. Not now...

Now, on todays road uniform - the all grey is acceptable, but I don't see why people like it so much. IMO it is boring, has no character, and does not resemble any road unis of the past either. At least they could extend the "C" into a tail under the "icago" with "White Sox" written inside it , similar to they way the 70's road uniforms were. The all grey they have now is bland.

Hangar18
09-08-2003, 03:50 PM

No Way. It was nice to see as a Wink to the 1980's Sox....but No Way. Our uniforms are EXCELLENT NOW. IF they brought the Vests back....that would be excellent too.

Iwritecode
09-08-2003, 03:54 PM

I'm 26 and didn't like them then either!

WhiteSoxWinner
09-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Opinion: I like the uniforms for nostalgia days, but god help us if we bring them back as the everyday uniforms.

A.T. Money
09-08-2003, 04:07 PM
Those unis were ugly. And I couldn't understand why that logo was featured as retro and not the 1917 look.

I must admit it was cool being at the game on Saturday. It made me re-live my childhood for a day. I haven't seen the CTA bus race since the old park, and it was kinda cool how they played hits from 1983. For the Sox to sweep the series was special.
I didn't mind the uniform on Saturday. I thought it looked good because you haven't seen them in 17 years. But I wouldn't want them again fulltime. No way. The current White Sox uniform ought to be the uniform forever. Someone else mentioned just like the Yanks, Red Sox, and Tigers. I agree completely.

jabrch
09-08-2003, 04:45 PM
as long as we are doing it in GRANT PARK!