PDA

View Full Version : The Cleveland Indians...

MarkEdward
09-07-2003, 10:48 AM
If one were to ask me who would be the next dominating team in the AL Central, I'd probably have to go with the Indians. Mark Shapiro has done a heck of a job with that team. They still need to find some pitching, but they seem to have a great core of young hitters: Vic Martinez, Travis Hafner, Ben Broussard, Brandon Phillips, Jody Gerut, Coco Crisp, Milton Bradley (if he can get his head on straight), and I'm not even mentioning the talent in the minors (Grady Sizemore, Brad Snyder, Michael Aubrey). If everything works out for them (low number of injuries, etc.), the Toons could be a very good in the next few years.

Anyway, just some observations from a Sox fan in Cleveland...

MRKARNO
09-07-2003, 10:50 AM
Hasn't cleveland dominated the AL central enough in recent years???

doublem23
09-07-2003, 03:00 PM
If there's any reason to be happy in Cleveland, it's that pitching staff. Didn't they come into the weekend with the third-best team ERA in the American League?

I agree... Cleveland looks to be most ready to be the new powerhouse in the division... Again.

spanishwhite
09-07-2003, 07:07 PM
I don't think any one team will dominate anytime soon.

Cleveland looks like they are about to join the fun with
us Minny and KC.

KC has a very good young hitting team and Gobble, Grienke, and Hernandez are good young pitchers on the rise.

Minny is minny alot of position talent, with a couple of good looking pitchers in the minors.

Depending who Minny and we resign or keep I see KC rising to the top in the next couple of years with Cleveland, us, and Minny rotating division titles.

TornLabrum
09-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by spanishwhite
I don't think any one team will dominate anytime soon.

Cleveland looks like they are about to join the fun with
us Minny and KC.

KC has a very good young hitting team and Gobble, Grienke, and Hernandez are good young pitchers on the rise.

Minny is minny alot of position talent, with a couple of good looking pitchers in the minors.

Depending who Minny and we resign or keep I see KC rising to the top in the next couple of years with Cleveland, us, and Minny rotating division titles.

You are assuming, of course, that we don't go into rebuilding mode after this season and ditch Alomar, Everett, Colon, Ordonez (who has a big raise coming to him in 2004), Thomas, etc. for minor league talent.

:reinsy

"If more of you had come out to the ball park this year, I wouldn't have to make budget cuts at the expense of high salaried players."

:jerry

"Does this mean I'll be able to help mold young talent again?"

"Yes, son, it does."

"Then I have just one request."

"Name it."

"You'll be needing a pitching coach who can work with young arms."

:nardi

"Hey! I'm your man!"

SoxxoS
09-07-2003, 07:35 PM
We were supposed to be currently dominating with all that young talent we stockpiled in the late 90's...and all those great young arms.

There are too many ? marks to say who is going to "dominate" in any sport at any one time.

MRKARNO
09-07-2003, 07:39 PM
As far as I'm concerned, we're not poised for the future as it stands. The relief staff might all be gone except for billy koch next year unless they actively want to stay (I'd love to see Gordon and Marte back). Colon's gone for sure so KW needs to get another starter, maybe not as high profile. He should also go after a SS and a 2B and maybe a CF if our prospects dont appear to be the answer long term and C if Olivo doesnt pan out. Otherwise I dont see us winning the division in the future

Brian26
09-07-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
If one were to ask me who would be the next dominating team in the AL Central, I'd probably have to go with the Indians.

Agreed. I was just thinking about this the other day. The potentially scary part is that the team is young at every position, as the rebuilding process wasn't half-hearted. Give them a few years, and with some luck they might be pretty good.

delben91
09-07-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
As far as I'm concerned, we're not poised for the future as it stands. The relief staff might all be gone except for billy koch next year unless they actively want to stay (I'd love to see Gordon and Marte back). Colon's gone for sure so KW needs to get another starter, maybe not as high profile. He should also go after a SS and a 2B and maybe a CF if our prospects dont appear to be the answer long term and C if Olivo doesnt pan out. Otherwise I dont see us winning the division in the future

I thought Marte was still under contract. And I don't think you have to worry too much about Olivo behind the plate, I think he's as advertised. That may be around .275 with 15 HRs and outstanding defense and that outrageous arm, but that's plenty if you ask me. Crede and Konerko are back at the corners, as if Frank at DH I'd imagine. Lee and likely Ordonez will return as well.

In centerfield I don't want to see Rowand, so maybe give Borchard (if healthy) and Reed a shot at it? Or go get one in the offseason.

In the rotation, we've got Loaiza, Buerhle, Garland, and then combinations of Wright, Rauch, Cotts, et al, and any free agents that might be brought in.

SS and 2B need to be plugged, but if the Sox make the playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised to see Robbie resigned.

The bullpen, they have Koch, Sullivan's got an option I believe, Wunsch, and then some holes.

The cupboard is less stocked than this year, but not what I'd call Tigers-west.

Just my two cents.

lowesox
09-07-2003, 10:52 PM
Great post. Cleveland will be the team to beat. Especially with some of those good young arms in the pen.

...But we'll be rebuilding by that point.

SoxxoS
09-07-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Great post. Cleveland will be the team to beat. Especially with some of those good young arms in the pen.

...But we'll be rebuilding by that point.

Yeah, until 6 of 12 pitchers have torn labrums and it takes two year to get them back, but by then your young talent wants to get paid, you have to let players go and you are back a square one.