PDA

View Full Version : 83 jerseys

sandknit
09-06-2003, 10:10 PM
So, does anyone know what the Sox are going to be doing with the jerseys they wore today? Other teams that have worn turn back the clock jerseys have auctioned them off on MLB Auctions, although I do remember seeing some TBTC jerseys at Sox Fest/Garage Sale. Any info is appreciated.

LongLiveFisk
09-07-2003, 10:41 AM
I haven't heard anything but I was pretty impressed that they went all out on the ones the guys wore yesterday. They even had the 50-yr-patch honoring the first all-star game and I'm not sure if the same patch also honored the all-star game the same year ('83) when the Sox hosted or if they had a different patch on the other sleeve for that. Very cool!

Also, if they can remake the jerseys exactly as they were back then, with the names on the back, why is it when you want to buy one, it only has the number 72 on the back but not "FISK"? I don't get that at all.

kingpin_rcs
09-07-2003, 11:11 AM
I would imagine that Carlton Fisk has certian rights surrounding the name "Fisk". This is, he would get a piece of the sale - if he even gave his permission to use it at all.

I doubt, however, the he (or anyone else) can have rights to a number like "72". A simple number is in the public domain. So you can sell as many jerseys you want with 72 and you need not ask his permission.

LongLiveFisk
09-07-2003, 11:51 AM
I figured it might be something like that...

I wonder if you can special order one for that. I mean, I ordered a current Sox jersey and had his name and number put on it, and I doubt under these circumstances they get anything for it. But I don't know all the specifics. To be fair though, all the replicas from Mitchell & Ness are like that, so maybe it's just a M&N thing.