PDA

View Full Version : Thomas needs to change fast

MRKARNO
09-06-2003, 06:58 PM
It's obvious that Frank's home run binge is over and the other guys in the lineup are picking him up. I think frank needs to realize that now we need base hits from him and not just walks and homers. If we dont get those singles and doubles from him with men on, we can lose plenty a games. He needs to revert back to being the contact hitter that he can be and get a boatload of hits and hope that he can drive one out every once in a while.

I also notice that when he goes swinging early, he is much more likely to get an out than if he sits back taking the first two pitches and then fouling some off until he gets one with which he could do something. He gets a lot more hits when he sees 5 or more pitches per at bat

voodoochile
09-06-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
It's obvious that Frank's home run binge is over and the other guys in the lineup are picking him up. I think frank needs to realize that now we need base hits from him and not just walks and homers. If we dont get those singles and doubles from him with men on, we can lose plenty a games. He needs to revert back to being the contact hitter that he can be and get a boatload of hits and hope that he can drive one out every once in a while.

I also notice that when he goes swinging early, he is much more likely to get an out than if he sits back taking the first two pitches and then fouling some off until he gets one with which he could do something. He gets a lot more hits when he sees 5 or more pitches per at bat

It may be obvious to you, but not to me. All hitters are streaky. So Frank is in a bit of a funk. Nothing to worry about. He'll be fine in a couple of days...

Huisj
09-06-2003, 08:38 PM
frank is in a funk, he looked all over the place today at the plate. i was talking to a friend of mine at the game today and we were discussing franks BA and RBIs. Yeah, he drove in a lot of runs in that 12 game stretch when he was on fire, but he's not going to hit homers at that pace all the time. He's got to hit the ball other than just homers. With his BA at .260, he's not getting any hits to drive in runs right now at all, and he's never going to be a big huge RBI man again if his BA stays that low. What ever happened to the Frank Thomas of his entire career up until now that hit heck out of the ball and hit the ball often. He's big and strong enough and can drive the ball naturally enough that homers will come if he hits the ball consistently. I think that various stretches this year have shown for the most part that he can still hit for power and average at the same time (remember the tear he went on when he played first base in june-july????) and that would make the lineup much more dangerous.

A .310 hitter with 35-40 homers will drive in a lot more runs than a .260 hitter with 45-50 homers.

And it also seems that swinging for the fences yeilds much colder cold streaks than just hitting the ball naturally. He's been nothing at all since detroit last saturday.

RichH55
09-07-2003, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by Huisj
frank is in a funk, he looked all over the place today at the plate. i was talking to a friend of mine at the game today and we were discussing franks BA and RBIs. Yeah, he drove in a lot of runs in that 12 game stretch when he was on fire, but he's not going to hit homers at that pace all the time. He's got to hit the ball other than just homers. With his BA at .260, he's not getting any hits to drive in runs right now at all, and he's never going to be a big huge RBI man again if his BA stays that low. What ever happened to the Frank Thomas of his entire career up until now that hit heck out of the ball and hit the ball often. He's big and strong enough and can drive the ball naturally enough that homers will come if he hits the ball consistently. I think that various stretches this year have shown for the most part that he can still hit for power and average at the same time (remember the tear he went on when he played first base in june-july????) and that would make the lineup much more dangerous.

A .310 hitter with 35-40 homers will drive in a lot more runs than a .260 hitter with 45-50 homers.

And it also seems that swinging for the fences yeilds much colder cold streaks than just hitting the ball naturally. He's been nothing at all since detroit last saturday.

Of course if the .310 hitter never walks....which I think is meant by "He needs to stop only hitting homers and walking"...then the .260 hitter with 45-50 homers and oh 130 walks is a helluva lot more productive...but hey I know batting average is king in this year we call 1914