PDA

View Full Version : Importance of Tomorows Game

ChiSox21
09-06-2003, 04:37 PM
The Sox have there 5th starter going against Clevelands 2nd best starter. JM will prolly field a tinkerer lineup. Will we win tomorow? Its gonna be tough cuz we have never faced this guy and we got wright going for us. If JM fields a tinkerer lineup and we lose i will be very pissed unless we take 3 of 4 from Minnesota then i will call it a good move cuz it rested some people for a more important series.

Reichardt
09-06-2003, 04:46 PM
Why isn't Colon pitching Sunday?

kingpin_rcs
09-06-2003, 04:49 PM
Pretty sure it's so the rotation will be set up for the Stinkys like this:

Monday - Colon
Tuesday - Buehrle
Wednesday - Garland
Thursday - Loiza

Reichardt
09-06-2003, 04:57 PM
So Colon and Beuhrle are pushed back a day because those games are more important??????? :angry:

Rocklive99
09-06-2003, 04:58 PM
I'd say every single game remaining is important, especially when you see KCs and Min schedules. Just like the 3rd game of the Yankee series was important, where im pretty sure we lost ground...

Reichardt
09-06-2003, 05:09 PM
If Colon would pitch Sunday and then stay in his normal turn in the rotation, he would pitch 5 more games finishing with the last game of the year in KC. By pushing him back a game he will only pitch 4 more games. It appears that our 5th starter will be starting 5 more games and the rest of the rotation will start only 4 games each. Little League managing. :angry:

MisterB
09-06-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Reichardt
If Colon would pitch Sunday and then stay in his normal turn in the rotation, he would pitch 5 more games finishing with the last game of the year in KC. By pushing him back a game he will only pitch 4 more games. It appears that our 5th starter will be starting 5 more games and the rest of the rotation will start only 4 games each. Little League managing. :angry:

We have one off day remaining so our #5 should get skipped one more time before the end of the season. By my count if Colon pitches every 5th day, he gets 5 more starts including the season ender in KC, Wright gets 3 more starts, and everyone else 4.

FJA
09-06-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Reichardt
So Colon and Beuhrle are pushed back a day because those games are more important??????? :angry:

Well, yes. The Twins are tied with us. If we beat the Twins, we move a game up in the standings. We automatically pad a first place lead with a win over the Twins. If we don't beat the Twins, we are not going to win this division. A win over the Indians is great, don't get me wrong, but if Minnesota wins too, we don't gain any ground.

I'm sorry to sound so condecending, but I think it's pretty obvious that our best pitchers should be pitching against Minnesota to give us the best chance to take sole possession of first place and then extend that lead.

Reichardt
09-06-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
We have one off day remaining so our #5 should get skipped one more time before the end of the season. By my count if Colon pitches every 5th day, he gets 5 more starts including the season ender in KC, Wright gets 3 more starts, and everyone else 4.

You're right. My bad.
During today's game I was thinking that it would be nice to see Colon go for the sweep and when I heard that Wright was moved ahead of him I lost it.
I still wish Jerry wouldn't make this so hard. Just put the best team out there every day and get out of the way.

Lip Man 1
09-06-2003, 11:03 PM
Here's why tomorrow's game is important....

If the Sox open the Twins series TIED with them they only have to split to maintain the lead.

If they are a GAME BEHIND the Twins when the series opens they have to win three of four to retake the lead.

At this time of the year that's a BIG difference.

and I thought I read in the past week in one of the newspapers that the 5th starter will probably only be going three more times now....of course with Manager Moron that could change.

Lip

Huisj
09-06-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Here's why tomorrow's game is important....

If the Sox open the Twins series TIED with them they only have to split to maintain the lead.

If they are a GAME BEHIND the Twins when the series opens they have to win three of four to retake the lead.

At this time of the year that's a BIG difference.

and I thought I read in the past week in one of the newspapers that the 5th starter will probably only be going three more times now....of course with Manager Moron that could change.

Lip

if their tied and they split, aren't they still tied?

inta
09-07-2003, 12:09 AM
I'd really like to see Colon start against the twinks. yes every game is important, but that series is much more important.
dan wright was money vs NY after the cotts fiasco, i have no problem giving him a chance if he can give our big four some more rest time. also while it is possible, the likelihood of the twins winning a 6th straight and sweeping the rangers is not all that likely
if we can sweep the twins again, that shaves 8 pts off our magic number... save the big guns for that series and give dan a try after his NY performance.

at least manuel didnt promise all week that colon would start sunday...

RKMeibalane
09-07-2003, 12:14 AM
Here's my lineup prediciton for tomorrow:

2B- Harris
SS- Graffanino
LF- Lee
RF- Ordonez
DH- Everett
3B- Crede
1B- Daubach
CF- Rowand
C- Olivo

:jerry

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

MRKARNO
09-07-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

2B- Harris
SS- Graffanino
LF- Lee
RF- Ordonez
DH- Everett
3B- Crede
1B- Daubach
CF- Rowand
C- Olivo

Realistically it'll be the normal lineup with alomar catching and graf in for jose

MetalliSox
09-07-2003, 12:49 AM
I'm just hoping the Wright that has been pitching out of the pen shows up and gives us a chance. No giving up 3 runs in the 1st.

MRKARNO
09-07-2003, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip
I'm just hoping the Wright that has been pitching out of the pen shows up and gives us a chance. No giving up 3 runs in the 1st.

well he didnt give up any runs when he came on in the first in relief of cotts
:)

A.T. Money
09-07-2003, 01:38 AM
You'll see the same lineup you saw in the Sat game. It's another lefty.

LASOXFAN
09-07-2003, 02:39 AM
I'll tell you why Sunday is important: the Rangers are going to win. So will the Angels. We could have a one and four game lead, respectively, on the Twins and Royals.

I'm done predicting the demise of the Royals since they've proven me wrong for five months, but if there's going to be a slide it looks like now is the time.

We take 3 of 4 from the Twins and that gives us a four game lead - not a large margin considering we have to face the Red "hot" Sox next weekend, followed by a trip to the dome. If we can somehow make it to the dome with a 2 game lead I'll be psyched.

jcw218
09-07-2003, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
I'll tell you why Sunday is important: the Rangers are going to win. So will the Angels. We could have a one and four game lead, respectively, on the Twins and Royals. [...] We take 3 of 4 from the Twins and that gives us a four game lead [...]

Taking 3 of 4 from the twins would give us a 3 game lead. For example

Game 1: Sox win - 2 game lead
Game 2: Twins win - 1 game lead
Game 3: Sox win - 2 game lead
Game 4: Sox win - 3 game lead

for the Sox to win 3 of 4 and exit with a 4 game lead, the twins would need to enter the series down 2 games.

DrCrawdad
09-07-2003, 08:50 AM
The Sox should today regardless of who the Sox start. Wright did well out of the pen last time. Hopefully Wright will pitch a good game, keep the Sox in the game. If I were the manager Wright would be given a very short rope today, can't afford to let the game get out of reach.

The Cleveland starter is a AAA guy. IIRC the Cleveland AAA team is Buffalo and they're in the same league as the Charlotte Knights. So if I were the manager I'd perhaps do some tinkering and start Aaron Miles, if he'd hit the Cleveland starter in AAA.

gosox41
09-07-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

2B- Harris
SS- Graffanino
LF- Lee
RF- Ordonez
DH- Everett
3B- Crede
1B- Daubach
CF- Rowand
C- Olivo

Knowing JM he'll use Sun. as a time to get Miles and Burke some action.

Bob

DrCrawdad
09-07-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
Knowing JM he'll use Sun. as a time to get Miles and Burke some action.

Bob

If Miles and Burke have faced C. Lee, the Cleveland starter, in AAA then it might not be a bad idea given how the Sox can't hit pitchers that they haven't seen before.

If Miles and Burke have hit C. Lee before, then I'm all for the tinkering.

TornLabrum
09-07-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
The Sox should today regardless of who the Sox start. Wright did well out of the pen last time. Hopefully Wright will pitch a good game, keep the Sox in the game. If I were the manager Wright would be given a very short rope today, can't afford to let the game get out of reach.

The Cleveland starter is a AAA guy. IIRC the Cleveland AAA team is Buffalo and they're in the same league as the Charlotte Knights. So if I were the manager I'd perhaps do some tinkering and start Aaron Miles, if he'd hit the Cleveland starter in AAA.

Wright has done well coming out of the pen. When he starts, the first inning is usually the killer if he has a bad outing.

Since they're starting a AAA pitcher, that's an almost guaranteed loss if we run true to form.

True to form scenario: Wright gets shelled in the first and AAA pitcher throws a 3-hit shutout.

Lip Man 1
09-07-2003, 01:53 PM
I'm still waiting for somebody from the "5th starter doesn't matter" camp to come on this thread.

The 5th starter DOES matter doesn't it? Having one would give the Sox a tremendous leg up on the compitition through the season even though you really don't need one in the post season.

Lip

FJA
09-07-2003, 02:48 PM
I'm still waiting for somebody from the "5th starter doesn't matter" camp to come on this thread.

The 5th starter DOES matter doesn't it? Having one would give the Sox a tremendous leg up on the compitition through the season even though you really don't need one in the post season.

Lip

It's not that a 5th starter doesn't matter (I'm sure as hell not in that camp), but rather that most teams have to live without a top tier 5th starter. Having one would give the Sox a tremendous leg up on the competition, but when our ace gives up two hits and we still lose, our problem isn't really the 5th starter. When you have four quality starters like we do, you should be able to take a chance with the fifth guy. Unfortunately, we wasted great performances from Mark Buehrle and Bartolo Colon this week, and we don't have the luxury of just "taking a chance" on Wright. He has to perform like a good starter. Dan Wright has shown out of the pen that he can be effective, and he's shown in the past that he can also be an effective starter. It hasn't worked out this year as a starter, but if he brings his good stuff, he gives the Sox a chance to win, and that's all you can ask out of your 5th starter.

MRKARNO
09-07-2003, 05:17 PM
Danny Wright did what we needed him to do today, keep us in the ballgame so that the offense could win it

dougs78
09-07-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Danny Wright did what we needed him to do today, keep us in the ballgame so that the offense could win it

Yep, and thats all you can really ask from a 5th starter. Nice work Danny.

delben91
09-07-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
Yep, and thats all you can really ask from a 5th starter. Nice work Danny.

Something I really like about today's start by Wright...

5 IP, 1 BB.

A much better ratio than he's shown in his other starts this season.

LASOXFAN
09-08-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by jcw218
Taking 3 of 4 from the twins would give us a 3 game lead. For example

Game 1: Sox win - 2 game lead
Game 2: Twins win - 1 game lead
Game 3: Sox win - 2 game lead
Game 4: Sox win - 3 game lead

for the Sox to win 3 of 4 and exit with a 4 game lead, the twins would need to enter the series down 2 games.

Thanks for that explanation, but I don't think you read my post correctly. Look again. :smile:

LASOXFAN
09-08-2003, 12:31 AM

Lip

His name is Danny Wright.

Maybe this year was the kick in the ass that Wright needed. He's been through hell with injuries and demotions. He sounds very humbled by it all and probably has a far greater sense of appreciation for pitching in the bigs, especially as a starter.

He was terrific today, no doubt about it. In fact, all of our pitchers are really playing solid. It's been so long that we've been out of a game that you forget how bad it used to be. These guys give hitters a chance every time, and that's all anyone can ask for.