PDA

View Full Version : DJ Aluminum Bat Comment

soxtalker
09-06-2003, 03:29 PM
I caught a comment by DJ on the Fox broadcast that I hadn't heard / seen before. They were talking about Frank not having hit a HR for over a week, and DJ thought that he started having some trouble when MLB prohibitted him from using the aluminum bat in practice. DJ thought that the aluminum bat gave Frank more confidence. Have any of you heard of this?

I remember that there was a thread or two dealing with the aluminum bat issue at the time, but it would have been too soon to discuss the impact on Frank's hitting.

RKMeibalane
09-06-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
I caught a comment by DJ on the Fox broadcast that I hadn't heard / seen before. They were talking about Frank not having hit a HR for over a week, and DJ thought that he started having some trouble when MLB prohibitted him from using the aluminum bat in practice. DJ thought that the aluminum bat gave Frank more confidence. Have any of you heard of this?

I remember that there was a thread or two dealing with the aluminum bat issue at the time, but it would have been too soon to discuss the impact on Frank's hitting.

Frank said the aluminum bat allowed him to go up to the plate and just react to what the pitcher threw, as opposed to trying to out-think the pitcher, which appears to be his problem right now.

He just missed a home run earlier today, so I don't think there is anything mechanically wrong with his swing. I do think, however, that he doesn't feel as comfortable at the plate, so he's not seeing the ball as well.

Rocklive99
09-06-2003, 04:29 PM
Sure, Frank can't take BP with an aluminum bat, but on the other side of the town, they can use corked bats during BP

soxtalker
09-06-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Rocklive99
Sure, Frank can't take BP with an aluminum bat, but on the other side of the town, they can use corked bats during BP

This was a common sentiment in the one or two threads that discussed the issue at the time that the ruling came down from MLB. Someone pointed out that a little girl had been injured in the stands a day or two before that in Yankee Stadium during batting practice.

RKMeibalane
09-06-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
This was a common sentiment in the one or two threads that discussed the issue at the time that the ruling came down from MLB. Someone pointed out that a little girl had been injured in the stands a day or two before that in Yankee Stadium during batting practice.

What happened to that girl was sad and unfortunate, but there is no guarantee that banning aluminum bats will prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future.

The way I see it, if a player wants to try something to make himself better, then more power to him. I understand what MLB is doing. After all, they have to look at other issues besides the playing side of things. But if they're going to ban Frank's aluminum bat, then I don't want to see Sosa screwing around with his corked bat.

I suppose that's what pisses me off the most. This has double-standard written all over it, with the Sox getting the shaft again.

BTW, I don't see what's wrong with Frank being allowed to use the aluminum bat at home. Sox BP isn't open to the public, so the chances of something happening are slim to none.

RichH55
09-06-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
What happened to that girl was sad and unfortunate, but there is no guarantee that banning aluminum bats will prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future.

The way I see it, if a player wants to try something to make himself better, then more power to him. I understand what MLB is doing. After all, they have to look at other issues besides the playing side of things. But if they're going to ban Frank's aluminum bat, then I don't want to see Sosa screwing around with his corked bat.

I suppose that's what pisses me off the most. This has double-standard written all over it, with the Sox getting the shaft again.

BTW, I don't see what's wrong with Frank being allowed to use the aluminum bat at home. Sox BP isn't open to the public, so the chances of something happening are slim to none.

Plus, if one of the negatives of using a corked bat in batting practice is "accidental" use in a game, its pretty hard to put the same issue on aluminum....People can pretty much see that;)

jabrch
09-06-2003, 06:40 PM
but it is not a valid excuse. Frank's bat speed is no slower than before. The aluminum was just a timing mechanism. As far as the girl at Yankee stadium, had that ball been hit with a wood bat, she still would have gotten hurt. That's the Yankees playing mind games....nothing more - nothing less. It shoudln't bother Frank. If he wants to take BP with Aluminum, he can do it early in the day or away from the stadium. (I know he has a cage in his house, so he can do it there on days we have home games)

Either way, I hope I don't hear that as an excuse.

ShoelessFred
09-06-2003, 07:56 PM
don't the sox have batting cages under the seats? i don't see why frank can't use the aluminum bat there.