PDA

View Full Version : Classic Farmerism in today's paper

KingXerxes
09-06-2003, 10:34 AM
Bill Jauss (a reporter who's day has come and gone about 30 years ago) has a little blurb in today's Trib that is headlined :

Sox can hit lefties, just can't beat them

It talks about how well the White Sox are hitting for average against lefties (.332) but have only a 20-20 record this year. He then asks,

"Why haven't the Sox done better?"

Here was Ed Farmer's explanation:

:farmer

"A lot of the lefties we faced threw soft or changed speeds. That can keep a team from bunching hits. For example, Frank, Ordonez and Konerko might each go 1-for-3. That's .333. But each gets hits in a different inning, so the hits don't produce any runs."

Is this what really passes for knowledge? This guy is Gomer Pyle with a microphone. It's not even endearing anymore - by offering up claptrap like his explanation he offends any White Sox fan with even a lick of knowledge about the game. Think about his answer, it could be used any one of four ways to explain why the White Sox are doing what they're are doing.

1. They change speeds and that forces us to have our hits scattered through out the game (We'll call this Farmer's Rule #1)

2. They change speeds and that enables us to get to them in certain innings and bunch hits together. (Call this Farmer's Rule #2 in case we win the next 15 in a row off lefties)

3. They don't change speeds and that forces certain batters to adjust at different times which scatters out hits through out the game (Farmer's Rule #3)

4. They don't change speeds and that gives us the ability to bunch out hits together. (Farmer 's Rule #4)

Remember those old Mad magazines where they had a script and a bunch of nouns and verbs which you could just drop in and make sentences? He must have a baseball edition up in the booth.

There - now I feel better and I'lll go out and mow the lawn.

longshot7
09-06-2003, 03:55 PM
nice, man, nice!

duke of dorwood
09-06-2003, 04:02 PM
That old St Rita logic

FJA
09-06-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
Bill Jauss (a reporter who's day has come and gone about 30 years ago) has a little blurb in today's Trib that is headlined :

Sox can hit lefties, just can't beat them

It talks about how well the White Sox are hitting for average against lefties (.332) but have only a 20-20 record this year. He then asks,

"Why haven't the Sox done better?"

Here was Ed Farmer's explanation:

"A lot of the lefties we faced threw soft or changed speeds. That can keep a team from bunching hits. For example, Frank, Ordonez and Konerko might each go 1-for-3. That's .333. But each gets hits in a different inning, so the hits don't produce any runs."

Is this what really passes for knowledge? This guy is Gomer Pyle with a microphone. It's not even endearing anymore - by offering up claptrap like his explanation he offends any White Sox fan with even a lick of knowledge about the game. Think about his answer, it could be used any one of four ways to explain why the White Sox are doing what they're are doing.

1. They change speeds and that forces us to have our hits scattered through out the game (We'll call this Farmer's Rule #1)

2. They change speeds and that enables us to get to them in certain innings and bunch hits together. (Call this Farmer's Rule #2 in case we win the next 15 in a row off lefties)

3. They don't change speeds and that forces certain batters to adjust at different times which scatters out hits through out the game (Farmer's Rule #3)

4. They don't change speeds and that gives us the ability to bunch out hits together. (Farmer 's Rule #4)

Remember those old Mad magazines where they had a script and a bunch of nouns and verbs which you could just drop in and make sentences? He must have a baseball edition up in the booth.

There - now I feel better and I'lll go out and mow the lawn.

LOL. Great post.

Huisj
09-06-2003, 08:14 PM
ok, go tear him to shreds for it, but it really does sort of make some sense. i'm not saying the sox should use it as an excuse for not hitting lefties, but if a guy keeps everyone off balance a lot, i can see how it would be hard to bunch hits together because he won't pitch in a same pattern to each guy in an inning, and he'll keep hitters off balance not only within each at bat, but also from batter to batter.

KingXerxes
09-07-2003, 11:29 AM
I realize that his explanation makes sense, but don't the other three explanations make sense also? Look if having "insight and knowledge" is simply a matter of building up hypothetical theories - then get me a microphone - I'm ready to go.

Changing speeds and keeping hitters off balance is Pitching 101. I can't think of very few pitchers who throw every pitch at the same speed - particularly junk balling lefties.

Let me offer up a theory:

"Well you see Jauss, we've faced predominantly junk throwing lefties - as most of them are these days. Because this team is so dependant on home runs in order to generate offense it's hard to really dig in when in the back of your mind you're going to get some sort of breaking ball served up. Yeah we're hitting them well for average, but I think the power numbers - those which the White Sox need to score - are probably way down against portsiders. We haven't played station to station baseball all that much this year"

Now is this true? I have no idea, but at least it's verifiable by looking at the stats for the year. Unlike Farmer's "wisdom".

hose
09-07-2003, 05:57 PM

"King I'll tell you how speed effects the game. I'm in LA and I think our game with the Padres is a 1:05 start, ah no, it turns out to be a 12:15 start . I drive as fast as I can , but I'm stuck in traffic and averaging 30 mph. I make it to the clubhouse at 11:05.

Pat Corrales is having a closed door meeting with the club. I walk in 5 minutes late and Pat just shakes his head, ah thats not good.

Corrales tells me it is going to cost me $100 for every minute I was late. The following Monday when we get back in Philly Corrales is let go.

I bumped into Pat a couple of years later and he mentioned that he thinks I still owe him $500 , ah no."

KingXerxes
09-07-2003, 11:05 PM

"Well I see that this guy King Xerxes is at it again talking about changing speeds and such and let me tell you that you have to change speeds constantly...in life, not just baseball. When I say speed I mean that as a matter of velocity which if you combine with mass (not the kind you go to on Sunday - or on Wednesdays like I used to go to at St. Rita that would be Mass) will equal momentum, not the speed that you take to stay awake, although I guess you could change that as well, although I don't know if you need to. So as you can see when a pitcher throws with less speed, the ball has less momentum as a result of less velocity - so I guess it's all a matter of momentum assuming that all baseballs have equal mass,...not exactly equal mass though because I'm sure that there are some slight differences within some sort of specification which is laid out by Major League Baseball. So if all baseballs weigh about the same...."

:hawk

"Mercy........Blue Moon Odom........yessir....he threw a heavy fastball. He would just stare at you, hunker down and throw the heaviest fastball I've ever seen. All you could do was beat it into the ground."

:rooney

"Wait a minute. Are you conteding that Blue Moon Odom actually had the ability to make a baseball physically weigh more, or are you just using it as a figure of speech."

"Rooney let me tell you because I've been around this game for the past sixty years, when Blue Moon Odom was finished warming up in the bullpen, if they made the mistake of letting him use the same ball for his twenty five or so warmup pitches - it would weigh over 2,600 lbs. It would take the entire A's bullpen to roll the ball over to a special place in the bullpen where Charlie Finley had a bottomless pit constructed so they could roll the ball down the pit.

:rooney

"This is ridiculous."

"Wow Hawk a 2,600 lbs. fastball! That must have been really hard to hit, and expensive too because back then a pound was worth about $4 so if my math is correct it would take almost $10,000 to hit that ball."

"Yessir.......Blue Moon Odom.....threw the heaviest and most expensive pitches ever."

:DJ

"You can of course prove this."

"Well DJ, you see the problem is that all of these balls are now falling down the bottomless pit in Oakland, so no I can't really prove it."

KingXerxes
09-07-2003, 11:11 PM

"Gee Hawk, can we go see the bottomless pit the next time we're in Oakland? Huh? Can we? Huh? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?"

"Well ya see there Ed, here's the problem. Mr. Charlie O. Finley took the location of the bottomless pit with him to the grave. There's no way anyone will ever find it..............Charlie Finley........mercy.....I loved that man."

:DJ

"But he ran you off of Kansas City saying that you were the biggest clubhouse poison he'd ever seen."

"Yessir - Charlie Finley - I'm telling you DJ that he was better than any other owner - not just in baseball but in all of sports at faking a trade in order to blah blah blah blah.........."

Vsahajpal
09-08-2003, 02:02 AM
http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/roll.gif

LOL! That was great, King.

hold2dibber
09-08-2003, 09:52 AM
The people in my office think I'm going insane; hysterical belly-laughing at 8:45 a.m. on Monday morning is not really the norm around here. Thanks KingX.