PDA

View Full Version : 83 players~up close must read!

mike squires
09-06-2003, 01:07 AM
After a day at Lincoln Park Zoo my wife and soon to be mother parked our car in lot C. We tailgated, I had water and a yogurt. She chewed on crushed ice. (Hey, our partying days are over.)

I brought along my Old Comiskey seat plate just in case we ran into a player or two. While we were waiting in line to get in a guy said he had just gotten Bannister and Pacioreck's autograph. DAMN! I said. When the gates opened I rushed to my favorite spot to watch BP, down the right field line. I usually come home with a BP ball. My wife said, "It looks like some guys are signging over by the Sox dugout. I don't even know why but I had to think about it. "Do you want a BP ball or 83 players autographs?" That was enough to convince me. I "ran" over to the guys signing. It was beautiful. They were all over the place! I first got Britt Burns to sign my seat. He looked good. I must admit that performance he gave in Game 4 crossed my mind. I almost wanted to hug him or give him a pat on the shoulder to comfort him. After that I honestly don't know who was next. They all seemed obliged to sign. Lamar Hoyt (seemed quiet, not sure I would have recognized him for some reason) but accommodating enough. Dybzinski (very nice guy and probably the most social of them all, next to Pacioreck) Dybber told us all, "make sure you cheer when they announce my name to drown out all the boos." One lady said why would we boo you. I think we all knew what Jerry meant! Tonight, noone booed. One by one my seat began filling up...Mike Squires, Dennis Lamp, Rudy Law, Vance Law, Bannister, Buddah Hill, Pacorieck...I couldn't believe it.

The only guys I didn't get were Koosman (didn't even really acknowledge anyone) Hairston (spent most of his time talking to a guy by the cage) hickey (I don't know why but I just didn't want his, I should have, but for some reason I don't associate him with the 83 squad) Stegman (for the same reason as Hickey) and Cruz (for some reason I totally didn't recognize him!) I thought I heard someone say Aurrlio Rodrigues so I just kind of tuned him out. It didn't even occur to me until after I had found my seat that he was deceased. Had the chance to get the Juice and I blew it.

Once I sat down, I honestly forgot the Sox of today were in a divisonal race. I could have left and had been satisfied!!! The sox win was icing on the cake...Here is a few interesting or funny comments i heard the players say.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Pacioreck--Guys, these autographs aren't worth very much now and 5 years from now....they it'll be less than than that!

Mike Squires--After telling him I use his name as an alias on the WhiteSox Interactive sight replied, "I don't know if that is a good or bad thing." It's a good thing I replied.

Kittle--This one is kind of a long story...A few months ago I sent Ron an e-mail just letting him know how much he means to me and the city of Chicago. I told him some stories and autograph stories from the past and also asked him about his charitable work. I threw in there that I work at Cunningham Children's Home. That same day he sent one back asking me out to dinner, that he would be in Schamburg doing radio and we could have dinner in the Stadium club. Thinking he was thinking that I was some big money making executive replied telling him I would not be able to donate alot of money. He replied back apologizing and the dinner invitation was supposed to be to an elderly lady of a friend of his. I sent one back saying no sweat...

Anyway, I asked Kitty tonight? Do you still want to do dinner some night? He said, "I don't even have time to have dinner with my wife." I told him I had sent him an e-mail...and he said I know, I know and acknowledged some of the detail of the e-mail. I said, I thought you sent one back about the old lady just so I wouldn't feel bad, Then he gave a light punch to the shoulder and said, "and yo sent one back with a nice letter and I really appreciated it." Very very cool.

Dybby seemed very very excited about my old comiskey chair back. He said someone had sent one to him.

Vance Law inquired about the chair as well...he said the Sox sent him two seats and he has them in his garage...

Tom P. said, "I think I hit this seat."

Lamp was a nice guy as well.

One dude, the guy with big white hair (are you on this sight) he had Richard sign like 18 of his cards. I've seen this guy at Soxfest as well. Kitty said he remembered him from the old days but that his hair was black back then...

The Bull was nowhere to be found until the introductions were made.

After the postgame show Wills was talking to Whimpy and said when Harold got up to say a few words he got choked up.

Man, I wish I could have been at Ditkas the other night. But wow, what a night. Im not going to shower tonight. I'm going to sleep with that stale beer, hot dog ballpark smell with a smile. I got alot more than I thought I would on the back of that beautiful green seat.

Thunderstruck30
09-06-2003, 01:29 AM
Will the 83 team be at the games the rest of the weekend? I have tickets for Sunday and Id like to meet them.

mike squires
09-06-2003, 01:33 AM
I know for sure they will be there tomorrow for introductions. Pacioreck said they'd be there all weekend. The guy next to me had an 83 style helmet (those plastic ones we had when we were kids) he had the players sign them in silver sharpie. Very Nice!!! I think you could probably get one at grand stand. Tonight most of them stood around the cage talking and didn't seem to mind signing at all...except for Koozman. He's the oldest os the bunch, and to me seemed the most crankiest.

emaholic
09-06-2003, 01:39 AM
My dad went to high school and played ball with Kevin Hickey and they talked for a few minutes. That was pretty cool.

Bisco Stu
09-06-2003, 02:13 AM
Good stories. Ah, the '83 Sox, the team that finally gave us post-modern fans (born in the 60's or 70's) the post-season on da Sout Sahiiiiide.

TornLabrum
09-06-2003, 07:52 AM
Kevin Hickey was interviewed on Ch. 11 a week or so ago along with Bill Jauss of the Cubune and some nay-sayer who thinks neither the Cubs nor the Sox will make the playoffs. I think he said he is now working at a lumber yard in Bourbonnais.

hold2dibber
09-06-2003, 09:38 AM
Oh man, I can't tell you how badly I wish I could hit a couple games this weekend. I love that '83 team - I was 16 years old at the time and the '83 team is what turned me from a Sox fan to a Sox lunatic-die-hard.

Just thinking about Mike Squires, up on the roof of old Comiskey the day after they clinched, raising the flag gets me weepy eyed. (But not as weepy eyed as I get thinking about Jerry D. getting caught between 2nd and 3rd in game 4 of the ALCS!)