PDA

View Full Version : TSN Story On Sox

Lip Man 1
09-05-2003, 10:26 PM
Ken Rosenthal has a story in The Sporting News this week entitled, "Doing a lot more with a lot less." It looks at three teams who could have quit and didn't the Royals, Expos and White Sox (Some company the Sox keep eh?)

Thought you might enjoy some of the comments and quotes.

"We're out to change a mind set."-- Ken Williams

"Williams remains hellbent on improving the perception of his team in Chicago." --Rosenthal

"The team remains an enigma. Manager Jerry Manuel probably would be gone if he didn't have a contract for 2004. Williams concedes that 'once or twice' he has been almost completely fed up. 'There are times,' he says, 'when I can get on the same roller coaster as out fans.'-- Rosenthal and Williams

"A rival GM scoffs at the White Sox saying their talent is so superior to the Royals' and Twins', the race should be 'a runaway.'" --Rosenthal.

"Williams believes that if his team plays deep into the postseason, the ensuing increase in ticket sales will enable him to re-sign the players and 'roll it over' for next season and beyond. Maybe he's dreaming but at least he's not defeatist. the expected quitters are putting up a fight." --Rosenthal

Interesting perception on that last line isn't it? "Expected quitters..." that's the legacy of the White Sox under current ownership apparently.

Also here's a Williams comment talking about the Royals..."Every day I look up and go ugh they did it again..." I guess he's saying that again tonight.

22 games left and to win the division the Sox have to win 14 more....can they do it?????

Lip

THE_HOOTER
09-05-2003, 10:30 PM
I think it will take more than 14 wins.

MRKARNO
09-05-2003, 10:47 PM
I figure they need 10 from the royals and twins, 4 from boston and new york and 1 more from cleveland at minimum. if we swept the indians and took 11 from the royals and twins, I think we'd be in very great position to win the division