PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 9/5

Hangar18
09-05-2003, 03:10 PM
taking a random look at the Media is Saying/Writing/Selling to us, I chose to look at the CubTimes. Now Yes, I understand, the SOX were Off, but they should still be good for one story. I was stunned by the Results

9 Cub Stories
1 Sox Story

1 Mariottio Story about Cubs & Sox and why there are "more" cub fans than sox fans and Robbie Alomars views. Can someone please Inform Mr. Mariotti that he simply need look at his own Newspapers Coverage of the blue team, to see WHY THERE ARE (real/perceived) MORE CUB FANS THAN SOX FANS, IS because they KEEP SHOVING THEM DOWN OUR THROATS. What is the Visiting Japanese Businessman Supposed to THINK ??

MRKARNO
09-05-2003, 03:27 PM
I think media coverage is great, but not by Mariotti. I dont know why they let him talk about the sox. He's so biased it's ridiculous. Let him keep writing cubs stuff and let whoever else write about the sox

Hangar18
09-05-2003, 03:55 PM
Let the Record Show, that in Mariottis column, he takes the 3rd Person appproach in regards to how the MEDIA treats the whitesox and the medias seemingly Giddy and totally unprofessional stance regarding cub coverage. He does Realize hes part of that Yellow Unprofessional Group himself doesnt he? Whats he trying to do? Be the Lone Maverick Columnist in Chicago with INTEGRITY? Able to write an unbiased article, simply for the sake of reporting NEWS and not PROPOGANDA ? Is he/they able to SEPARATE THEMSELVES FROM THE STORY? what is most TELLING (and DISTURBING) is his "outing" of a Channel 2 Reporter during a Wrigley post game conference, in which the Reporter asked him, when he was "cued", to say "Lets bury the Cubs and White Sox hats in Lincoln Park finally". Ive said it many many many times here, there and Everywhere, There IS A MEDIA SLANT TOWARDS THE CUBS and its sickening

thepaulbowski
09-05-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
taking a random look at the Media is Saying/Writing/Selling to us, I chose to look at the CubTimes. Now Yes, I understand, the SOX were Off, but they should still be good for one story. I was stunned by the Results

9 Cub Stories
1 Sox Story

1 Mariottio Story about Cubs & Sox and why there are "more" cub fans than sox fans and Robbie Alomars views. Can someone please Inform Mr. Mariotti that he simply need look at his own Newspapers Coverage of the blue team, to see WHY THERE ARE (real/perceived) MORE CUB FANS THAN SOX FANS, IS because they KEEP SHOVING THEM DOWN OUR THROATS. What is the Visiting Japanese Businessman Supposed to THINK ??

Psstt....The Sox didn't play yesterday. The Cubs did and took 4 out of 5 from their division rival. What should they write about, the Sox charity golf outing and what they had for lunch?

So, it's the media's fault there are twice as many people at Cubs' games compared to Sox games. Everyday somebody post one of these threads complaing about the media. GET OVER IT. IF more people went to Sox games, they would be more relevant. The only people to blame here are the Sox fans. I'm tired of hearing about JR did this or didn't do that, JM did that, the upper deck is too steep, many Sox fans don't have the money, etc. As the saying goes, excuses are like ******* (VC EDIT: Please don't circumvent the language filgers), everbody has them. If people would go the park there wouldn't be this perceived bias.

It's no wonder people refere to us Sox fans as bitter & whiners.

Hangar18
09-05-2003, 05:09 PM
Paul, you didnt read my disclaimer.....and hell yeah, why didnt they do a story on the SOX 1983 reunion Dinner? If this was the 84 cubs, CLTV (cub lovers television) wouldve had a Live Remote Truck there. Both papers wouldve had full color-pullout stories. Mind you, the cubtimes did a little piece on the 1983 team, but that was the only soxrelated story. We got cubfluff today on why Zambrano is a religious player (newsflash, he isnt the first) This wasnt as big a series as the Media made it out to be. ALL OF THEIR SERIES are BIG

voodoochile
09-05-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
IF more people went to Sox games, they would be more relevant. The only people to blame here are the Sox fans. I'm tired of hearing about JR did this or didn't do that, JM did that, the upper deck is too steep, many Sox fans don't have the money, etc. ...If people would go the park there wouldn't be this perceived bias.

I agree with the part about the media. We fans spend too much time worrying about it, IMO. However, the reason there are less people attending Sox games now than there were before is because of the current ownerships horrible job of marketing the team and the absolutely abysmal way they have handled PR.

Add in things like the WFT, tearing down old Comiskey, alienating HOF players, being a force in canceling the WS and being proud of it, blaming the fans themselves for the lack of money spent to retain key players and bring in new ones, etc. The list goes on and on.

The management team has put themselves in this hole and until this season they have done very little to correct the issue. If you are claiming that Sox fans are the problem (as you seem to be) then you are crazy. Everyone on this site attends games as often as finances, proximity to the park and time allow them too - there aren't any slackers here.

Sox management doesn't have a good record of taking care of the fans or going out of their way to field genuine WS caliber teams. Under these circumstances isn't it a little understandable that some fans feel the team doesn't give a crap about them and thus won't put their money where their hearts are?