PDA

View Full Version : We lose two draft choices to LSU

jklm
08-27-2001, 06:19 PM
"For Louisiana State, catcher Jonathan Zeringue (third-round pick) and outfielder Jay Mattox (fourth round) spurned offers from the White Sox.

Zeringue, out of White High in Thibodeaux, La., ranked at No. 43 on Baseball America's Top 100 draft prospects. The 6-foot-2, 210-pounder is considered a four-tool talent, lacking only receiving skills, and will have a chance to start as the Tigers lost incumbent Matt Heath. Zeringue reportedly was asking for more than $1 million, which the White Sox wouldn't meet. Thomas has a reputation for molding professional catchers at both Miami (Charles Johnson, Jorge Fabregas) and LSU (Brad Cresse).

Mattox, out of Conway (Ark.) High, figures into the outfield mix around Linden."

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/notes0827.html

Why? Alan Embree is earning $2.4M this year and I think that salary is enough to sign BOTH picks.

Randar68
08-27-2001, 06:23 PM
This is essentially what I have been reporting for weeks. 2 weeks ago, it got so bad Zeringue's agent said he doubted anything could get done due to what his client felt was "bad blood" over a lack of respect....

Wish him well, and I hope he makes JR regret his stupidity....

doublem23
08-27-2001, 09:46 PM
:reinsy
Money? For minor leaguers?