PDA

View Full Version : Julio Cruz question

chosk8
09-05-2003, 11:07 AM
Quite frequently when the name Julio Cruz is brought up, soon after most people come back with the reply "They're still paying him" or "he's still under contract". Anyone know the details of the contract he signed back in the day that would warrant these statements? I was 13 at the time he played for the Sox, so contract details was something I wasn't too concerned with. Please excuse my ignorance on this matter.

Hangar18
09-05-2003, 12:05 PM
After that "magical" season, I believe the SOX broke down and gave him like a 5 yr deal if im not mistaken. In the 1984 season, he was Paul-Konerko-First-Half HORRIBLE and they released him. Dont think he ever played again, and that was all the comments about him still being paid all those yrs afterwards...

chosk8
09-05-2003, 12:18 PM
Thanks Hangar. I posted this also also a little while ago, I think I remember you asking about this.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24054

Brian26
09-05-2003, 01:35 PM
Hangar's mostly right. They offered him a huge multi-year contract after the season. Hawk was actually the biggest cheerleader. "Got to have the Juice".

Cruz did last until 1985 though before the Sox released him. His '85 numbers were atrocious (don't even think he batted .200), and the Sox replaced him with Tim Hulett and Bryan Little.

dickallen15
09-05-2003, 01:45 PM
I think he had one of those contracts where he is paid for 20 years.

Hullett_Fan
09-05-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
...the Sox replaced him with Tim Hulett ...

:)

Mammoo
09-05-2003, 03:18 PM
I think dickallen is right. I remember it being like 15-20 years. Hey, maybe Jerry Reinsdorf is lurking. How 'bout it, Jer? Are you stll paying JC? :?:

SaltyPretzel
09-05-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
(don't even think he batted .200)

Julio was actually a .300 hitter; .150 from the left and .150 from the right.

thecell
09-05-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by SaltyPretzel
Julio was actually a .300 hitter; .150 from the left and .150 from the right.
LMAO! :gulp:

StillMissOzzie
09-07-2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Mammoo
I think dickallen is right. I remember it being like 15-20 years. Hey, maybe Jerry Reinsdorf is lurking. How 'bout it, Jer? Are you stll paying JC? :?:

Wouldn't this be just like JR? "Hey Julio, we'll pay you $1 million dollars..." (damn good money in 1985), and it turns out that the fine print says that it's $50,000 per year for 20 years.

On a more serious note, I remember reading somewhere that part of some teams' financial woes is all of the deferred money the have to pay today for players that quit playing a long time ago.

:gulp:

PaleHoseGeorge
09-07-2003, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Mammoo
I remember it being like 15-20 years. Hey, maybe Jerry Reinsdorf is lurking. How 'bout it, Jer? Are you stll paying JC? :?:

:reinsy
"Ha! How stupid do you think I am? I got Julio off my payroll after we hired our new manager back in '97, sent him to that Ford assembly plant job of Manuel's."

:)

hose
09-07-2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
On a more serious note, I remember reading somewhere that part of some teams' financial woes is all of the deferred money the have to pay today for players that quit playing a long time ago.

:gulp:

I think the Sox were very lucky that they did not get stuck with Albert Belle and his contract for longer than they did......thank you Peter Angelos.

:jaime

"I much better than Mr. Rocket"

:XL

"burp"

doogiec
09-07-2003, 09:59 AM
"Chisox Sign Cruz To 6-Year Pact" is the title of an article written by Joe Goddard in the January 16, 1984 Sporting News.

I don't have a copy of the actual article, so I don't know if there was deferred money involved, or how much.

IIRC, Cruz claimed to come down with an ailment called "turf toe" and was consistently on the DL or playing poorly because of it before the Sox released him.

TornLabrum
09-07-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by doogiec
"Chisox Sign Cruz To 6-Year Pact" is the title of an article written by Joe Goddard in the January 16, 1984 Sporting News.

I don't have a copy of the actual article, so I don't know if there was deferred money involved, or how much.

IIRC, Cruz claimed to come down with an ailment called "turf toe" and was consistently on the DL or playing poorly because of it before the Sox released him.

The Sox quit paying Cruz in 1990 when the deal was up.