PDA

View Full Version : superstitious bullcrap

Gumshoe
09-05-2003, 10:26 AM
I'm so sick of Chicago fans and their reliance on this thing called "luck" that has caused us so much anguish, or the fact that because we are the Sox we have an innated disadvantage. Even Morrissey today started talking about Baker sprinkling stupid dust over the field acting like something is magical in a comeback. Well, I wonder if luck will have played a factor in them winning once they realize that they don't make the playoffs this year?

For the love of God, people, if the Sox or Cubs are good enough, they'll make it.

The Sox will. Sorry, Cubbies ... one more year

Gumshoe

alohafri
09-05-2003, 11:42 AM
Just in case, me and Aloha have been lighting a St. Jude candle before Sox games. :smile:

As far as superstition goes, many many baseball players are very superstitious--watch what a lot of them do--I think it's Loiza who blesses himself when he takes the mound--Konerko has this weird ritual with his batting gloves when he's up to bat, etc. etc.
It's only natural for the fans to be a little superstitious too.

As Mr. Aloha is fond of saying:
"Is it wrong?"

(Mrs. Aloha)

Paulwny
09-05-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by alohafri
Just in case, me and Aloha have been lighting a St. Jude candle before Sox games. :smile:

In 59, knowing I was a sox fan, a Franciscan Teacher in HS handed me a St Jude card. He noticed I was puzzled and then explained to me that he had read a article about the sox. The article was about Aparicio bringing from Venezula a statue of St Jude to Chicago and that it was kept in the sox clubhouse. He also told me that this maybe the only way the sox could beat his yankees.
I honestly don't know if he was lying to me about the article.
I've kept the card all these years and think the "luck" was depleted in 59.

For those of you who are non- catholic, St Jude is the Patron St. of "Hopeless Cases".