PDA

View Full Version : Dont We call ourselves intellegent fans and not Flubbie Loser


KVinc
08-27-2001, 03:29 PM
why is it i am always hearing trade Frank thomas the best hitter Chicago has even seen. Do we want to trade someone who is basically the only great great player associated with the sox minus Shoeless and Nellie. Carlton fisk is not associated with us and Billy Pierce is always overlooked. If Frank thomas were to retire right now he would be first ballot, but yet i always hear us call him the big skirt or boo him like on opening day. How can you boo the organizations greatest player he along with changing faces has been the one constant who has consistantly got us in the playoffs or at least a competitive team. in Franks regine as a full time player(that began in 91) we have been at least .500 or better or in contention for the divison title 8 out of 10 years(spanning from 91 to 2000). We have won the division three times with Frank. And as much as people like to call Jose the team leader, he isnt he is the spiritual leader he can fire the team up when he steals or base or hits a home run but Frank is the person who invites the team to his house and has a party and talks to the guys and tells them what they have to do to win.

I dont understand in Chicago why a guy like Frank thomas is more respected outside of his hometown. But yet we embrace Sammy Sosa a very good home run hitter and run producer, but still will never be the hitter Big Frank is and will continue to be.

idseer
08-27-2001, 04:10 PM
first .. being a great hitter doesn't make him untradable

and second .. you can boo him because you may not LIKE him or at least his personality as it comes across in the media

oldcomiskey
08-27-2001, 04:24 PM
His personality is none of your buisness---Look at Dick Allen--all he did was save the franchise

Bmr31
08-27-2001, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
His personality is none of your buisness---Look at Dick Allen--all he did was save the franchise


His personality is our business. We are paying customers. If customers dont like the employees, the employee needs to either get better, or move on.

oldcomiskey
08-27-2001, 06:14 PM
this is not high school so forget the nieve stuff---you are not paying customers and Frank aint gonna wait no tables

Bmr31
08-27-2001, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
this is not high school so forget the nieve stuff---you are not paying customers and Frank aint gonna wait no tables

Gee and i thought there was an actual reason our attendance is weak! :)

Bmr31
08-27-2001, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
this is not high school so forget the nieve stuff---you are not paying customers and Frank aint gonna wait no tables

OC do you even actually think before you speak or write? Just curious.

ma-gaga
08-27-2001, 06:35 PM
:pee take this OC
:pee take this BMR
Take this to the Parking Lot...

(sorry, but i found a new tag)

MarqSox
08-27-2001, 06:37 PM
Anybody else see the irony in misspelling "intelligent?"

Dadawg_77
08-27-2001, 06:39 PM
Look I really don't care if the guy is big a hole or not, if the Sox needed to pick up Ty Cobb, Joey Bell, Dave Kingman and some of teh other big jerks in the history of baseball to win the World Series. I say "welecome to the team". I pay for good quatily WINNING baseball. The players being nice guys is a nice touch but winning is everything in pro sports.

Plus, Frank isn't close being a big jerk when it comes to the guys above. Question how many of you ever asked or tried to find out what your coworkers make? (doesn't really work for union employees) Its taboo in a workplace for a reason, employers don't want you to have the info. If you knew that Joe Blow in cube 123NE is doing the same work you're doing but making two thousand $ or $5 /hr more, you may get jealous, but you would ask for a raise thus increasing the employer's cost. What happens in baseball everyone knows what everyone else is making, now the dollar amounts are lot bigger, but the same concept applies here. Frank had natural human reaction and became jealous this off season of other top of the line Major Leaguers making ton more money then him. True, he lost sight of the fact he is making millions of dollars why the most of the team and his fans only make thousands of dollars.

Look I try of people complaining about players attitudes. Lets face it, the only and I mean the only thing that matters in pro sports is at the end of the game is it a W or a L. If Sosa was on the Sox still and Sox were winning we would love the hop and skip routine, but he is on the hated northside so we hate.

Also doesn't everyon forget the fact durring his two down year he had years most major leaguers would kill for. Plus he was playing hurt both year, wasn't a bone spur a size of walnut removed from his ankle before last year.So if you want to rip Thomas for lack of production in the playoff or two years a go thats one thing but please stop getting on him because of his attitude "problem."

idseer
08-27-2001, 07:11 PM
His personality is none of your buisness
_______________________________


for that matter neither are his hit's rbi's or anything else!

i was giving a simple answer to a simple question.

...... BONEHEAD!

Kilroy
08-27-2001, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Look I really don't care if the guy is big a hole or not, if the Sox needed to pick up Ty Cobb, Joey Bell, Dave Kingman and some of teh other big jerks in the history of baseball to win the World Series. I say "welecome to the team"...


Man oh man. This reads like plagerism of posts I made many times on many message boards. Like arguments I had over beers in the bowling alley. I've said all these things a hundred times.

I fear that there are very few of us that actually get it. Its all relative. Most people get blinded by the fact that these players make millions and should be plum happy with it. Yes and no. While its true they make more money than the average guy can comprehend, that doesn't mean they don't feel slighted when a lesser player gets more. Plenty of people forget that there's someone out there that can't comprehend the 30, 40, and 50 thousand dollar salaries that they may be making.

And sure there's players that come out and say that's the way it goes or you signed the contract, live with it, but don't believe that crap for a second. They may never b!tch about it, but they are still pissed.

Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Frank had natural human reaction and became jealous this off season of other top of the line Major Leaguers making ton more money then him.

One of the ultimate hypocrisies. We expect our sports heroes to be normal everyday down to earth guys in every way except when it comes to money. Then they are supposed to be humble and just smile. If a guy thinks he's underpaid, they all start yakking about how he won't be able to eat on 10 mil. When the truth is some of those same people make 75 or 80k (and I am thinking of a particular person even tho I know hes not the only one) and they are pissed because some new guy got 5-8k more and does half the work and does it crappily to boot. That is called a double standard.

oldcomiskey
08-28-2001, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31


OC do you even actually think before you speak or write? Just curious.

yes I do but apparently you dont---after all I wasnt the one who said Frank had to be a saint to play ball--and I didnt pick Billy Koch and his 4 ERA over Foulke either

idseer
08-28-2001, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey


yes I do but apparently you dont---after all I wasnt the one who said Frank had to be a saint to play ball--and I didnt pick Billy Koch and his 4 ERA over Foulke either

nobody said frank had to be a saint to play ball. typical smokescreen post , o.c.
the only question was a persons right not to like him. you tried to say how we feel about him is none of our business.

i'll repeat what someone else here said ... do you ever think before you post?

oldcomiskey
08-28-2001, 04:49 PM
the man owes you nothing when he steps off the field---when hes on the field yes thats a different story---I sippose you didnt want the Bulls to get Rodman because he was a troblemaker--16 boards a night aint nothing to sneeze at--and neither is the numbers that Frank puts up every year

idseer
08-28-2001, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
the man owes you nothing when he steps off the field---when hes on the field yes thats a different story---I sippose you didnt want the Bulls to get Rodman because he was a troblemaker--16 boards a night aint nothing to sneeze at--and neither is the numbers that Frank puts up every year

you STILL don't get it! i never said i didn't want him! (tho last year i wanted to see him traded for some serious pitching or an infield)
it would be stupid to trade him now as his value would be down. for $10M he's a bargain ... assuming he can still hit!

i was answering a question. maybe you should go back and look at the initial post!!!

oldcomiskey
08-28-2001, 05:02 PM
I want impying that at all---all Im saying is Frank is human--he has had troubles before--and will again... But he still owes the fan nothing outside of his performance on the field--ie--actual playing--autographs--whatever==and you are right--trading him would be a huge mistake

ma-gaga
08-28-2001, 05:21 PM
I don't know. I always assumed that it was part of a baseball players job to make himself available to the fans. Fans are the backbone of the sport, if the player decides that he doesn't need to acknowledge them, there will be a backlash.

oldcomiskey
08-28-2001, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
I don't know. I always assumed that it was part of a baseball players job to make himself available to the fans. Fans are the backbone of the sport, if the player decides that he doesn't need to acknowledge them, there will be a backlash.

precisely my point as long as its ON THE FIELD---dont be bothering him at home or in a restauant or a hotel....just let him play ball

Dadawg_77
08-28-2001, 05:55 PM
And there has been a backlash. o

BTW Rule Number One in making trades: You do not trade a Hall of Famer in his/her prime. And Frank is in his prime age range, 28-35. It will always come back to bite you in the ass. I only way I even consider trading Frank is we got another Hall of Famer in his prime back and you know what we won't. How many HOF 2B and SS are out there right now, I can think of 4 off top of head, and none of them are heading at time soon.

idseer
08-28-2001, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
And there has been a backlash. o

BTW Rule Number One in making trades: You do not trade a Hall of Famer in his/her prime. And Frank is in his prime age range, 28-35. It will always come back to bite you in the ass. I only way I even consider trading Frank is we got another Hall of Famer in his prime back and you know what we won't. How many HOF 2B and SS are out there right now, I can think of 4 off top of head, and none of them are heading at time soon.

rules are made to be broken (or some such pithy old saying)

as i said earlier i wouldn't trade him now. everyone would be afraid to offer full value. but after last season i would have. IMO he would not have been worth more and i'm thinking the sox could have filled a couple very big voids ... a top starting pitcher, and a (fill in the blank) ______ (SS,CF,Catcher) plus. i believe some team would have jumped at the chance to take thomas on at $10M for the next, what, 4/5 years? in other words i think his best value to the team would be as trade bait.

my concern about thomas is that at his age, 300 lbs will slow him down faster than a smaller player. i'm afraid we'll eventually have him hanging around our necks, not able to do much other than dh, hit 20-25 hr's and drive in 65 runs, his massive legs will bother him, he'll get injured more easily, etc!
again, to me the time to get rid of him was last year. and it's not cause i don't like thomas. it's because i think it would have been best for the team.
as for dh, i will be surprised if konerko or lee will be more productive as dh's, if not next year, the year after.