PDA

View Full Version : Frank Speaks

RKMeibalane
09-04-2003, 09:12 PM
Frank Thomas Talks About a Championship (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030904&content_id=511472&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha)

There is no doubt in my mind that this man wants to win. None whatsoever.

voodoochile
09-04-2003, 10:46 PM
NO WAY! The Sox had something positive to say about Frank? I AM BLOWN AWAY!

Honestly, I find that amazing. They even talk about his contract status and how if he doesn't take his option the Sox will have to make a decision on whether to take theirs. And this on top of the part about him being an MVP candidate and desiring to finish his career in Chicago. You think someone finally noticed all those standing O's Frank was getting when he got his 400th HR and 2,000th hit? Maybe someone finally heard the cheers cascading down from the stand every night and loud applause whenever the big man comes up to bat.

Ball's in your court, now, JR and you served it to yourself...

:reinsy
"Um, what we meant to write was that - while Frank is having a solid if unspectacular season, the determination to bring him back will be made based on fan attendance. So if you folks want Frank back, you better come out to the park. Anyone who thinks we can compete financially with LA for Frank's services is crazy..."

:KW
(whispering)"pssst.... pssst... JR... We hold an $8 million option on Frank for next season."

:reinsy
"We do? Oh crap who told the fans that? We did? On our what? Website? We have one of those? Is it too late to fire the story writer and publisher? Is this microphone on? It is... oh crap... er... I mean... We like Frank... Has anyone noticed what a crappy job Jerry Manuel is doing? I now turn you over to Hawk for further analysis.." (smiles warmly like in above picture)

:hawk
"He Gone!"

Jjav829
09-04-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Frank Thomas Talks About a Championship (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030904&content_id=511472&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha)

There is no doubt in my mind that this man wants to win. None whatsoever.

So, there are players that you doubt actually want to win? To quote my favorite NFL head coach "But this is the greatest thing about sports -- you play to win the game . Hello? You don't play to just play it. When you start telling me it doesn't matter, then retire, get out, because it matters. " :smile:

voodoochile
09-04-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
So, there are players that you doubt actually want to win? To quote my favorite NFL head coach "But this is the greatest thing about sports -- you play to win the game . Hello? You don't play to just play it. When you start telling me it doesn't matter, then retire, get out, because it matters. " :smile:

Happens all the time. Guys like Ryan Leaf are in it just for the money. Same could be said for Palmeiro who chose to stay with a last place team rather than leave his cushy lifestyle and play in a pennant race.

Daver
09-04-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829

Do you honestly beleive that Manny Ramirez wants to win?

Or is he just collecting a sizeable paycheck?

Jjav829
09-04-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Happens all the time. Guys like Ryan Leaf are in it just for the money. Same could be said for Palmeiro who chose to stay with a last place team rather than leave his cushy lifestyle and play in a pennant race.

Originally posted by Daver

Ok, ok. I just wanted to quote Herm Edwards. :D:

But anyways, I think everyone wants to win. Some don't want it as much as others, but I think deep down inside guys like Manny Ramirez or whatever other examples you want to bring up do want to win. Maybe they don't express it as much but I think everyone who plays a sport wants to be able to experience that ultimate goal. Some just want it more than others and it shows.

Dadawg_77
09-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Daver

Yes but for the Yankees

Bisco Stu
09-05-2003, 03:42 AM
Who ever doubted for a nanosecond Frank's will to win???

He's the greatest player in franchise history and all the negative crap surrounding him is essentially a microcosm of the media's treatment of the White Sox as a whole.

This year Frank will lead the White Sox to their 3rd postseason during his career. Can't recall too many other White Sox who've been a part of that.

Try NONE.

(Unless I'm forgetting someone who was on the 06, 17 & 19 teams).

Bisco Stu
09-05-2003, 03:44 AM
Also, we had the 4th best record in MLB in the 90's (behind Atl, Clev and the Skanks).

No, no World Series, but that's JR's fault, certainly not Frank's.

TommyJohn
09-05-2003, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu

No, no World Series, but that's JR's fault, certainly not Frank's.

?????? JR lost the 1993 playoffs to Toronto single-handedly??????

voodoochile
09-05-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by TommyJohn
?????? JR lost the 1993 playoffs to Toronto single-handedly??????

No, but he was a driving force in getting the end of the '94 season canceled...

RKMeibalane
09-05-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
Who ever doubted for a nanosecond Frank's will to win???

Unfortunately, a lot of people have questioned his desire to win. A certain member of the Chicago media comes to mind...

:moron

"Frank wants to win? Maybe at checkers, but he doesn't care about baseball."

My earlier post was a subtle jab directed at some of Frank's detractors, since there are several media people who visit this site.

Nellie_Fox
09-05-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Unfortunately, a lot of people have questioned his desire to win. bc2k?

MarqSox
09-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
NO WAY! The Sox had something positive to say about Frank? I AM BLOWN AWAY!

Honestly, I find that amazing. They even talk about his contract status and how if he doesn't take his option the Sox will have to make a decision on whether to take theirs. And this on top of the part about him being an MVP candidate and desiring to finish his career in Chicago. You think someone finally noticed all those standing O's Frank was getting when he got his 400th HR and 2,000th hit? Maybe someone finally heard the cheers cascading down from the stand every night and loud applause whenever the big man comes up to bat.

Actually, I think the following statement has more to do with the article's "frankness," pun intended.
This story was not subject to approval by Major League Baseball or its clubs.

voodoochile
09-05-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Actually, I think the following statement has more to do with the article's "frankness," pun intended.

This story was not subject to approval by Major League Baseball or its clubs.

They still posted it on their website. I find that amazing.