PDA

View Full Version : To anyone who asked what the problem was with only hitting HRs.

jabrch
09-04-2003, 07:41 PM
I am still sick about Tuesday night. 3 times we had a runner on 2nd with less than 2 out and we FAILED to score him. Twice were on leadoff doubles. I am absolutely tired of not being able to get the ball down or to hit a sac fly or to somehow advance a runner.

I still am on the bandwaggon. I NEVER GOT OFF SINCE BIRTH. But I don't see us winning a world series this season because we are so fundamentally weak.

soxtalker
09-04-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
I am still sick about Tuesday night. 3 times we had a runner on 2nd with less than 2 out and we FAILED to score him. Twice were on leadoff doubles. I am absolutely tired of not being able to get the ball down or to hit a sac fly or to somehow advance a runner.

I still am on the bandwaggon. I NEVER GOT OFF SINCE BIRTH. But I don't see us winning a world series this season because we are so fundamentally weak.

Agreed! HR's are great; they give you the chance to get back runs in a hurry. But on offense, it is the toal runs you score that is important, and it really helps if you can diversify your attack.

pudge
09-04-2003, 08:02 PM
The game has changed a lot, and with this still being very much a homerun era, the dingers help... but in play-off ball, you gotta make the most of your chances. I will be SHOCKED to see this Sox team go deep in October, if they even reach October. I won't mind being shocked, though.

JRIG
09-04-2003, 08:33 PM
If you're looking to the Boston series as an example of why only hitting home runs won't win you ballgames, look somewhere else. In case you didn't notice, Boston scored 6 of its 7 runs in the series off the home run. No "manufacturing" to be found and they still won both games.

RKMeibalane
09-04-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
If you're looking to the Boston series as an example of why only hitting home runs won't win you ballgames, look somewhere else. In case you didn't notice, Boston scored 6 of its 7 runs in the series off the home run. No "manufacturing" to be found and they still won both games.

You are correct. Boston hit the homeruns this time around. The Sox didn't. The Sox haven't been right offenisvely since the Yankees series, when Manuel ****ed everything up again by starting Cotts. The offense tried to come back in that game, but things didn't work out.