PDA

View Full Version : Cataclysmic Friday

Viva Magglio
09-04-2003, 06:22 PM
Friday night could very well be the worst night in White Sox history if:

1) We lose to Cleveland,
2) Minnesota beats Texas putting us out of first place one game behind the Twins,
3) Kansas City beats Anaheim putting us into third place behind the Royals,
4) St. Louis continues to suck and loses to Cincinnati,
5) Houston loses to San Diego, and
6) Cubs beat Milwaukee, not only leap into first place based on #5 but also take first place in the "Chicago League" based on #1.

Things could not be worse, can they. :whiner:

Hullett_Fan
09-04-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

1) We lose to Cleveland,
2) Minnesota beats Texas putting us out of first place one game behind the Twins,
6) Cubs beat Milwaukee, not only leap into first place based on #5 but also take first place in the "Chicago League" based on #1.

That could very well happen, but it's not unexpected due to Sox blowing many winable games earlier this year. Plus, Cubs are showing more heart. They go down 6 and come back...I feel like game is over if we go down 2 runs early in game.

Sox need to take 5 of 7 from Twins and 5 of 7 from Royals in order to win this division. Royals and Twins do not have has many difficult opponents this last 20 or so games of the year.

voodoochile
09-04-2003, 06:27 PM

1) We lose to Cleveland,

Oh shut up...

Man, don't you guys ever get tired of dwelling on the purely negative? What happens if the Sox win? OHMIGAWD! WHAT WILL WE WHINE ABOUT?

Foulke You
09-04-2003, 06:29 PM
How about this:

Sox throttle Cleveland. Twins and Royals lose. Cards and Astros win while the streaking Brew Crew beats the Cubs with a grand slam from Royce Clayton. After all September and being out of the race is "Choice Time" :D:

voodoochile
09-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
How about this:

Sox throttle Cleveland. Twins and Royals lose. Cards and Astros win while the streaking Brew Crew beats the Cubs with a grand slam from Royce Clayton. After all September and being out of the race is "Choice Time" :D:

Thank you. The amount of threads about purely negative POSSIBILITIES just wears he out after a while. Ones like this that have no warning about it being a nightmare (as opposed to a pipedream) are frustrating because before an optimist like me can find out that it is pure speculation with NO BASIS in fact I am sucked into someone elses delusions...

Still tied for first, GO SOX!

Viva Magglio
09-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Oh shut up...

Man, don't you guys ever get tired of dwelling on the purely negative? What happens if the Sox win? OHMIGAWD! WHAT WILL WE WHINE ABOUT?

We're Sox fans. What do you expect?

MRKARNO
09-04-2003, 06:33 PM
Friday night could very well be the worst night in White Sox history

OK, this is the absolute worst case scenario. I figure that each event has a the following probability of happening

1). 30%
2) 60%
3) 60%
4) 35%
5) 50%
6) 55%

Then there is only a 1 in 10 chance of this happening. If you assume 50% for each event, then there is a 15% chance of this happening. COnsidering all that has been happening of late, you could probably alter the numbers to make it an even lower probability of this happening tomorrow.

Even if this does happen, the sox could come back as easily as the cubs could fall apart

And the worst moment in sox history was when the black sox scandal was revealed and unless the sox lose to the cubs in the series, nothing this year could be worse than that.

voodoochile
09-04-2003, 06:34 PM

That is no excuse. This is just plain negativity running rampant. You are projecting your fears onto the team. Yeah, they have struggled, but come on.

I'm done. Talk about whatever you want to, but IMO...

:threadsucks

MRKARNO
09-04-2003, 06:35 PM

I agree with that times three

GoSox2K3
09-05-2003, 12:27 AM

1) We lose to Cleveland,

....if this happens, maybe Reinsdorf can profit from this by selling cyanide pills to us at the Cell's ticket windows. I'll be first in line if the Cubs make the playoffs and we don't.

In the meantime, let's not totally hit the panic button after 3 bad days. The way our luck has been going since the new month started, I admit I half expect the above nightmare scenario to happen. But, let's keep a positive attitude going into that Minn. series next week.

captain54
09-05-2003, 01:01 AM

I think its just amazing that the Sox are in the position they are in considering the horsebleep way the team was hitting early on and the moron for manager that we have......I never expected the Sox to be in it in September, so you could also say no matter what happens its the best it could possibly be......to be actually in a pennant race....

However, I personally think that there are some things that will come back to haunt the Sox down the stretch....like the idiotic manager or the lack of consistent hitting......

just remember that the Sox were 8 1/2 games out at one point and now its September 5 and they're neck and neck with two other teams....so just try to enjoy it....

WhiteSox = Life
09-05-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by captain54
I think its just amazing that the Sox are in the position they are in considering the horsebleep way the team was hitting early on and the moron for manager that we have......I never expected the Sox to be in it in September, so you could also say no matter what happens its the best it could possibly be......to be actually in a pennant race....

However, I personally think that there are some things that will come back to haunt the Sox down the stretch....like the idiotic manager or the lack of consistent hitting......

just remember that the Sox were 8 1/2 games out at one point and now its September 5 and they're neck and neck with two other teams....so just try to enjoy it....

2003 Chicago White Sox: A Season of High Ups and Low Downs

I can only hope that it's nothing but up from here.

:gulp:

VeeckAsInWreck
09-05-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
2003 Chicago White Sox: A Season of High Ups and Low Downs

I can only hope that it's nothing but up from here.

:gulp:

How about this:

2003 WHITE SOX: THE RIDE
Coming To A Theme Park Near You!
Disclaimer: Pregnant Women and Schizophrenic Sox fans should consult a Dr. before riding.

hold2dibber
09-05-2003, 08:56 AM

1) We lose to Cleveland,

Yeah, and maybe a giant meteor will hit the earth and send it careening off its orbit, catapulting the entire planet into the far reaches of space and turning the whole planet into a giant frozen tundra of suffering and death.

hold2dibber
09-05-2003, 08:59 AM

1) We lose to Cleveland,

Oh yeah - and even if every single one of those things did happen tonight, it wouldn't even come CLOSE to being the "worst night in White Sox history." Wouldn't even rank in the top 100.

Hangar18
09-05-2003, 09:27 AM
This is a very real scenario ........ anyone see the Front cover of
the CubTimes yesterday? had a picture of the cubs Celebrating, and the caption "Hey Chicago, got Pennant Fever yet?"

faneidde
09-05-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
OK, this is the absolute worst case scenario. I figure that each event has a the following probability of happening

1). 30%
2) 60%
3) 60%
4) 35%
5) 50%
6) 55%

Then there is only a 1 in 10 chance of this happening. If you assume 50% for each event, then there is a 15% chance of this happening. COnsidering all that has been happening of late, you could probably alter the numbers to make it an even lower probability of this happening tomorrow.

Even if this does happen, the sox could come back as easily as the cubs could fall apart

And the worst moment in sox history was when the black sox scandal was revealed and unless the sox lose to the cubs in the series, nothing this year could be worse than that.

Your math is a little off. If you use your percentages, the odds of all 6 things happening is .9504%

If you assume everything has a 50% chance of happening, the odds are 1.5625%. The things you learn in college...

thepaulbowski
09-05-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by faneidde
Your math is a little off. If you use your percentages, the odds of all 6 things happening is .9504%

If you assume everything has a 50% chance of happening, the odds are 1.5625%. The things you learn in college...

You must have paid attention in statistics class....I know I didn't. I was too busy :gulp: or recovering from :gulp: or thinking about :gulp:

daveb816
09-05-2003, 10:11 AM
Gee, nothing like positive thinking to start the day out.

hose
09-05-2003, 10:26 AM

1) We lose to Cleveland,

Hey Viva :"DON"T TAKE THE CAR YOU"LL KILL YOURSELF" :D:

chosk8
09-05-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
That could very well happen, but it's not unexpected due to Sox blowing many winable games earlier this year. Plus, Cubs are showing more heart. They go down 6 and come back...I feel like game is over if we go down 2 runs early in game.

Sox need to take 5 of 7 from Twins and 5 of 7 from Royals in order to win this division. Royals and Twins do not have has many difficult opponents this last 20 or so games of the year.

I hate to agree, but I do. The Cubs are showing some heart and winning despite their manager , imagine that.

Not looking past the Indians, but lets hope the Sox do the same against a division rival with whom we are battling with for the division title.

Hokiesox
09-05-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Yeah, and maybe a giant meteor will hit the earth and send it careening off its orbit, catapulting the entire planet into the far reaches of space and turning the whole planet into a giant frozen tundra of suffering and death.

Funny you should mention that...
A new asteroid found earlier this week is reported to be on a course to impact the Earth on March 21, 2014. It's big enough to be the force of 200 hiroshima bombs. The calculations are only preliminary thus far...but, HEY! LET TONIGHT PLAY OUT PEOPLE!

Viva Magglio
09-05-2003, 10:47 AM

You mean the whole planet would become Green Bay, Wisconsin?

TDog
09-05-2003, 12:59 PM

I hear you. Some say the glass is half full. Some say it's half empty. I dropped the glass while watching the Sox blow a 7-1 in a loss to the A's on an August Friday night in 1970. The shards got into the carpet, and I've been stepping on them ever since.

voodoochile
09-05-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by TDog
I hear you. Some say the glass is half full. Some say it's half empty. I dropped the glass while watching the Sox blow a 7-1 in a loss to the A's on an August Friday night in 1970. The shards got into the carpet, and I've been stepping on them ever since.

Maybe you need a Kirby vacuum cleaner. Talk to Xil, he can help you out. Better yet, if you are still using the same carpet since 1970, call Empire... :)

JohnJeter
09-05-2003, 01:18 PM
I'll play along. Let's say all of those things actually happen (er, not the asteroid). We get one day of Trib saturation- now there's something new.

The following day, the opposite of all those things happen and we're right back where we started from. . .thus creating the possibility of a "Cataclysmic Sunday" thread.

Hokiesox
09-05-2003, 02:11 PM
Maybe you need a Kirby vacuum cleaner. Talk to Xil, he can help you out. Better yet, if you are still using the same carpet since 1970, call Empire... :)

I thought parking lot conversations stayed in the parking lot. Where's a mod when you need one to move posts over to the lot? :)

faneidde
09-05-2003, 02:24 PM
I would but I can never remeber their number.

pudge
09-05-2003, 07:21 PM
If all of this does come true, I say we hold Viva personally responsible!

TornLabrum
09-05-2003, 07:48 PM
Oh yeah - and even if every single one of those things did happen tonight, it wouldn't even come CLOSE to being the "worst night in White Sox history." Wouldn't even rank in the top 100.

The worst night in White Sox history was that twi-night doubleheader in '67 in KC when the A's, managed by Luke Appling (for cryin' out loud) swept them and knocked them out of the race (with an assist from the Senators).

TDog
09-06-2003, 12:03 AM

Thanks for appreciating the metaphor.

Viva Magglio
09-06-2003, 12:47 AM
1) We won and remain in first place, :D:
2) Minnesota won but could not take sole possession of first per No. 1, :smile:
3) Kansas City won but only lost ground since yesterday per their loss to Arizona yesterday, :smile:
4) St. Louis indeed continues to suck and has fallen further behind in the NL Central, :whiner:
5) Houston holds onto first in the NL Central by beating the pesky Padres, :smile:
6) Cubs won but failed to take first in the NL Central and Chicago League, :smile:

ChiSox21
09-06-2003, 12:56 AM
Yea the Cardinals do suck, what the hell is going on

ode to veeck
09-06-2003, 01:11 AM
It's big enough to be the force of 200 hiroshima bombs

Actually I think it was more like 200 million Hiroshima bombs. 200 Hiroshima bombs might not even be big enought to take ot Mt Fuji or cause a nuclear winter, but 200 million might not leave anything but cockraoches and bacteria to inherit the planet ... or in layman's terms there could still be Cubs fans after its all said and done with :redneck

VeeckAsInWreck
09-06-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
200 million might not leave anything but cockraoches and bacteria to inherit the planet ... or in layman's terms there could still be Cubs fans after its all said and done with :redneck

That is an insult to cockroaches and bacteria everywhere! :D:

soxwon
09-06-2003, 02:21 AM
not sure about this but i read someone said if we win 5 of 7 from kc and minn all we have to do is win 1 from all the other series we play-doesnt sound right to me but thats what i read.

jabrch
09-06-2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by soxwon
not sure about this but i read someone said if we win 5 of 7 from kc and minn all we have to do is win 1 from all the other series we play-doesnt sound right to me but thats what i read.

That's almost mathematically true...

22 games remaining
14 vs Minn and KC

If we win 5 of 7 twice, 10 games left...

Win 1 of 3 each of the other three series and we have a total of 13 wins and 9 losses in the remaining 22 games.

In order for Minnesota to beat us, they would have to win 12 of their remaining 15 games vs Tex, Clev and Detroit. Not likely, but certainly mathematically possible.

For KC to beat us, I believe they would have to win an astonishing 14 of 16 vs Anaheim, Cleveland and Detroit. Also unlikely, but not mathematically outrageous.

Here is an equally interesting stat...Had we, early in July, won the three series vs TB, Detroit and Clev instead of losing 7 of 9 games, we would be 4 games in front of Minnesota and 5.5 up over KC. Our Magic number would be 16.

5 of 7 is a great goal for those series. Frankly, I'd even take 4 of 7. We can't afford to lose either of them. Another option is to set a goal of not losing any series. If we win 2 of 3 or 3 of 4 in every series the rest of the way, the division is ours.

Either way, let's take care of business ourselves. We can not trust Detrioit, Cleveland, Anaheim and Texas to do our dirty work for us anymore. We put ourselves in this position...only we can get ourselves out of it.

Go White Sox!

Viva Magglio
09-06-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox21
Yea the Cardinals do suck, what the hell is going on

Cardinal bullpen too sucky.

bobj4400
09-06-2003, 09:07 AM
Cardinal bullpen too sucky.

Too Fasseroey

jabrch