PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Manuel...I'VE FRIKKIN HAD ENOUGH!

captain54
09-04-2003, 02:59 PM
This man is one man vibe killer, a pariah, and has ****ed this season up more than we will ever realize....

in the last week:

1) inexcusable decision to throw the last game of the Yankee Series
2)has Scott Sullivan pitch to Sox killer Ortiz with a left hander warming up in the bullpen....
3)pulls Everett for Harris way too early, making Everetts bat unavailable for a crucial situation and allowing Aaron Rowand to run for Thomas late in the game as opposed to the speedier Harris...

for every good move, there are 5 or 6 ill planned, unsuccessful moves that blow up in his face...

it takes all the fun out of it for me.....watching a crucial, tight Sox game these days is like waiting for the other shoe to drop, waiting for the next failed Manuel move.....

true, there were a lot of chances to score in the Wed nite Boston game....however, hitting is cyclical, its going to come and go....you could say that Boston had chances to score to and didnt so its a wash....

anything less than a World Championship and Manuel isnt launched might be the final straw for me as a die hard Sox fan...

Hokiesox
09-04-2003, 03:41 PM
:firejerry

If you're not a die-hard sox fan, what will you be? If you're going to root for a Chicago team, you just have to accept the fact that ownership/management is horrible! Look at all the teams, who is any good? NOBODY! Why? the owners are cheap and don't care! Look, Ted Leonsis (owner of the Washington Capitals) gets a standing-o everywhere he goes in DC. Daniel Snyder (owner of the Potomac tidal basin Indigenous peoples) has deep pocketbooks that he opens for the 'skins. I'd love for JR to sell, but who really thinks that will happen? Even in the darkest days of being a White Sox fan,

:thankgod

KingXerxes
09-04-2003, 03:52 PM
While I don't think Manuel is to blame for the fact that we haven't run away with the division, I have to admit that last night - in the post-game media session, he really pulled a stupid stunt.

When asked if he had any comment on Bruce Kimm sending Rowand in with what would have been the winning run, Manuel responded with something like,

"That would be a good question to ask him................sure, using hindsight it was a bad call to send him in.......................but hey I've been out there coaching third and sometimes it's not easy."

It was a pathetic knee jerk response on Manuel's part, and then as his answer droned on and on he started covering for his initial finger pointing. The correct response would have been,

"Hey - Give Boston credit, they made a great play, and Bruce did exactly what I thought he should have done......good aggressive baseball."

And then if you want to read the riot act to Kimm you do so in the privacy of your office. Manuel was just pathetic last night in the post-game.

MetalliSox
09-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Wasn't Manuel tossed before the Ortiz homer/Harris placement?

FarmerAndy
09-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip

When a manager gets tossed, he can still call the shots from his office. They have telephones and intercoms in the dugout.

voodoochile
09-04-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
When a manager gets tossed, he can still call the shots from his office. They have telephones and intercoms in the dugout.

And if he isn't doing that stuff than it is one more reason to fire him...

pudge
09-04-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes

"Hey - Give Boston credit, they made a great play, and Bruce did exactly what I thought he should have done......good aggressive baseball."

And then if you want to read the riot act to Kimm you do so in the privacy of your office. Manuel was just pathetic last night in the post-game.

Great point right there. JM is an idiot. I don't think Kimm should have been read the riot - he made the right call considering Harris was due up next.

voodoochile
09-04-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Great point right there. JM is an idiot. I don't think Kimm should have been read the riot - he made the right call considering Harris was due up next.

You keep acting like that was the only option. What about a pinch hitter?

Kimm made a horrible decision and he made it late to boot. Why shouldn't he be held accountable for that fact?

PaleHoseGeorge
09-04-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
While I don't think Manuel is to blame for the fact that we haven't run away with the division, I have to admit that last night - in the post-game media session, he really pulled a stupid stunt.

When asked if he had any comment on Bruce Kimm sending Rowand in with what would have been the winning run, Manuel responded with something like,

"That would be a good question to ask him................sure, using hindsight it was a bad call to send him in.......................but hey I've been out there coaching third and sometimes it's not easy."

It was a pathetic knee jerk response on Manuel's part, and then as his answer droned on and on he started covering for his initial finger pointing. The correct response would have been,

The next tactful comment that Jerry Manuel utters in his post-game comments will also be his first. Your quotes here along with the ones Lip gave are especially interesting. He seems to be absolving himself of everything happening around him. If the team loses, it's *they* who failed , not we. If Kimm makes a lousy decision to send home Rowand, it's *his* problem, not mine.

Call me crazy, but the man sounds like he knows the axe is about to fall. I'm guessing it happens the day after the Sox are eliminated. That's soon enough for me.

soxtalker
09-04-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Call me crazy, but the man sounds like he knows the axe is about to fall. I'm guessing it happens the day after the Sox are eliminated. That's soon enough for me.

I must admit that I haven't been paying much attention lately to what JM says to the media. However, earlier in the year -- just before they beat the Cubs and started to play well -- I had been listening to his statements, and it struck me then that he sounded like someone who both expected the axe to fall and, possibly, almost welcomed it.

OEO Magglio
09-04-2003, 10:30 PM
He wasn't tossed yet, he was tossed in the bottom of the 8th, and those moves were in the top of the 8th.

gosox41
09-05-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
You keep acting like that was the only option. What about a pinch hitter?

Kimm made a horrible decision and he made it late to boot. Why shouldn't he be held accountable for that fact?

I think Kimm made a good decision. I mean he had to watch the last 2 games where the Sox have failed to score after having RISP and less then 2 outs. It makes no sense to keep watching this team fail away. I have no problem with Kimm sending him.

If you want to blame anyone, blame the hitters for not putting the game away earlier. Blame JM for pulling Frank. I don't believe in ever taking out the team's best hitter for a PR. If Frank were on base, they never would have sent him around to try and score.

If the Sox executed better then this issue would be a non-issue.

Bob

KingXerxes
09-05-2003, 11:26 AM
In either case as far as Bruce Kimm goes, the matter should be handled in private - not in the media.

Jerry Manuel has taken on a very Dave Wannstadt-like demeanor in that he doesn't seem to hold himself accountable in the least anymore.

The nagging question I have is "Why?". Was Manuel always like this, or is this organization dragging him under? He doesn't seem like he even wants to be out there as the White Sox manager anymore, and I can't figure out if it's him or his environment. I personally think it's a bit of both, that he's simply burnt out on jumping through the hoops that Reinsdorf and Williams are always putting in front of him.

Gumshoe
09-05-2003, 01:03 PM
Manuel is bad, but there is only one goal:

get to the playoffs

And the Sox are in that position. Manuel hasn't really done anything terrible lately (the Buehrle thing was totally overrated, although Wright not Cotts should have been the starter, but it was KW who forced his hand to make the Koch trade try to look good -- another story, another time)

Other than that, the team has played well during the 2nd half. You have to give a bit of credit to Manuel for that. His patience with the pitchers will keep our starters more fresh. He has little clue with the bullpen, but he has gotten better. And to be quite honest, ALL manager are criticized b/c of their handling of the pen, b/c inevitably they will lose a game in a situation where a reliever doesn't come up big.

We smoked MIN and KC the last few times with Manuel, and I don't see why that should change. Provided our pitching stays as I think it will, I have to think the hitting will be OK enough for us to win. No one knows the future. We'll make the playoffs if I had to bet, though. We'll see what happens.

Gumshoe

LASOXFAN
09-05-2003, 01:22 PM
Have you read this indictment?

Morrisey article (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-030830morrissey,1,4054362.column?coll=cs-columnists-navigation)