PDA

View Full Version : Three-way tie

MarqSox
09-04-2003, 12:30 PM
If the season ends in a three-way tie, the team with the best records against the other two gets first choice of either playing two home games or one road game. Normally I would say this is a no-brainer, but given the huge disparity between the Sox' home and road records, maybe it's not so clear cut ...

As of now, the Sox would be the team to choose, as they own a 7-5 record against both the Twins and the Royals.

Iwritecode
09-04-2003, 12:43 PM
I picked the one game on the road. It's really a matter of choosing the lesser of two evils. By taking the one game on the road, the other two teams get to beat up each other first, then have to play a second game while the Sox get extra rest.

I know the Sox haven't played that well on the road but that might give them a slight advantage. Plus, if they throw Loazia out there, they can win just about anywhere. The only problem with that is it might mess up the post-season rotation... Unless they started Colon and Burly in games 1 & 2... Ugh, too much thinking...

BTW, would both games be played on the same day? Meaning the team that took 2 home games would have to play a double-header???

MarqSox
09-04-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I picked the one game on the road. It's really a matter of choosing the lesser of two evils. By taking the one game on the road, the other two teams get to beat up each other first, then have to play a second game while the Sox get extra rest.

I know the Sox haven't played that well on the road but that might give them a slight advantage. Plus, if they throw Loazia out there, they can win just about anywhere. The only problem with that is it might mess up the post-season rotation... Unless they started Colon and Burly in games 1 & 2... Ugh, too much thinking...

BTW, would both games be played on the same day? Meaning the team that took 2 home games would have to play a double-header???
No, they would be spread over two days, just in case the road team in game 1 won, they'd have to move up there. So, if the Twins won in Kansas City, we'd have to play at the Metrodome the next night <shudder>

But, at least our guys would be fresh, and we'd have all of our pitchers available.

CHISOXFAN13
09-04-2003, 12:49 PM
I voted for the two home games but after giving it some thought, I'd much rather play the one game on the road.

I know you have to get there first, but if we did win two games at home, we'd have to play the next day on the road with a worn-out pitching staff.