PDA

View Full Version : For a combined...

MarkEdward
09-04-2003, 12:51 PM
6.7 million bucks, we are paying Paul Konerko and Brian Daubach to produce an average .745 OPS. Meanwhile, for $1.25 million, David Ortiz has a .977 OPS for the other Sox.

You know, some of those sabermetric concepts ain't that bad (like not overpaying for talent that can easily be found elsewhere)...

Still bitter at JCU...

MarqSox
09-04-2003, 01:17 PM
Yeah, but let's not even talk about what a steal we're getting with Loaiza and Buerhle at a combined $1 million ...

gosox41
09-04-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
6.7 million bucks, we are paying Paul Konerko and Brian Daubach to produce an average .745 OPS. Meanwhile, for $1.25 million, David Ortiz has a .977 OPS for the other Sox.

You know, some of those sabermetric concepts ain't that bad (like not overpaying for talent that can easily be found elsewhere)...

Still bitter at JCU...

Signing Konerko for as much money as the Sox did is almost as bad a move as the Billy Koch trade (keeping in mind I first mentioned this the day PK was signed.)

I'm glad the Sox have $14 mill. of crap on the roster for next season.

Bob

soxtalker
09-04-2003, 03:22 PM
I'm just about finished with Moneyball, and, while I'm sure that Billy Beane has his own modifications of sabermetrics, I'll use that as a guide. From what I saw last night, the Sox organization must not have a philosophy that is at all consistent with sabermetrics. Consistently, batters came up and swung at the first pitch. It seemed like working the count was not even a part of their thought process.

So, while you are right to question the Konerko and Daubach decisions, this is symptom of a deeper issue.

gosox41
09-05-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
I'm just about finished with Moneyball, and, while I'm sure that Billy Beane has his own modifications of sabermetrics, I'll use that as a guide. From what I saw last night, the Sox organization must not have a philosophy that is at all consistent with sabermetrics. Consistently, batters came up and swung at the first pitch. It seemed like working the count was not even a part of their thought process.

So, while you are right to question the Konerko and Daubach decisions, this is symptom of a deeper issue.

I think I'll apply Miguel Tejada's nickname to Carlos Lee. CLee is "Mr. Swing at Everything"

What happened to all the progress he was making last season when he had more BB's then K's? He took a step back. Sure he's been hot, but it seems like when the pressure is on it's a guarantee that he's hacking at the first pitch no matter what.

Bob

MarqSox
09-05-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I think I'll apply Miguel Tejada's nickname to Carlos Lee. CLee is "Mr. Swing at Everything"

What happened to all the progress he was making last season when he had more BB's then K's? He took a step back. Sure he's been hot, but it seems like when the pressure is on it's a guarantee that he's hacking at the first pitch no matter what.

Bob
Lee ALREADY has career highs in HRs and RBIs and his batting average is relatively high. I wouldn't call that a step back.

voodoochile
09-05-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by gosox41

Bob

Originally posted by MarqSox

Lee ALREADY has career highs in HRs and RBIs and his batting average is relatively high. I wouldn't call that a step back.

Hitting in front of Frank he is seeing a LOT more firtst pitch fastballs than he did hitting 5th which leads to him taking less walks, swinging at more first pitches and hitting more homeruns.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-05-2003, 12:44 PM

Yup. Just another example of how important Frank Thomas is to the Sox offense. Lee sees more fastballs because Frank is in the on-deck circle, and he is making the pitchers pay.

Is there any easier job in baseball the past 10 years than batting #2 for the Sox? Besides Lee, Jose Valentin had a feast back in '00, too.

gosox41
09-05-2003, 02:39 PM

It just seems like whenever the Sox are in a tight game in the late innings, he's out there swinging for the fences. I would love to see the breakdowns of how he hits in different situations. It helps that he's hitting in front of Frank, but it still can't hurt to take a pitch now and then.

Bob