PDA

View Full Version : David Wells

Tree
08-27-2001, 09:18 AM
It is said that David Wells wants to stay on the southside. I am wondering if that would not be too bad an idea. Think about it. It would solve the questions of the starters next year. And he says he is willing to do an incentive laden deal instead of the 10 million dollar option. I think its worth the gamble.

Think of this rotation.

Wells
Buerhle
Garland
Parque
(Wright, K. Wells, Biddle, Lowe......etc)

Makes our rotation a little scarier

Soxboyrob
08-27-2001, 09:41 AM
It would sure make sense to make a play for him w/ an incentive-laden contract. I've heard that he feels indebted to the Sox for his poor season and still has something to prove. We ought to bag out on his option, pay him the $1.5M, and then try to re-sign him for a couple of mill plus some incentives that might take him into the $7-$8M range if he's successful. We really need some experience on this staff.

Randar68
08-27-2001, 09:57 AM
It would sure make sense to make a play for him w/ an incentive-laden contract. I've heard that he feels indebted to the Sox for his poor season and still has something to prove. We ought to bag out on his option, pay him the $1.5M, and then try to re-sign him for a couple of mill plus some incentives that might take him into the $7-$8M range if he's successful. We really need some experience on this staff.

Couldn't agree more, Soxboy!

CLR01
08-27-2001, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
I've heard that he feels indebted to the Sox for his poor season and still has something to prove. We ought to bag out on his option, pay him the $1.5M, and then try to re-sign him for a couple of mill plus some incentives that might take him into the $7-$8M range if he's successful.

Only problem is, will NY be looking into signing him, for how much, and will this supposed indebted feeling he has outwiegh his desire to play in NY again? Also i would even take the deal as high as 10-15 million range if he can win 18+ and finish in the top 3 in Cy Young voting.

Fisk Fan
08-27-2001, 11:00 AM
As I've said before, look what Wells has done for Mark Buehrle. He could do the same for some of the other young pitchers, while solidifying a young rotation. He might be a re-born player after this surgery, and win 20 games again!?!

oldcomiskey
08-27-2001, 04:31 PM
Boomer wnated to go to a team to beat the Yankees--look for the Red Sawx to make a push if we let him go

Daver
08-27-2001, 05:13 PM
Parque will probably not be in the rotation next year.

KVinc
08-27-2001, 05:27 PM
i'd say a base salary of maybe 2 million and if hes able to pitch 28 games his salary should escalate up to five, if he can win at least 12 plus games salary should be 7 million, and if he can finish in the top five for cy young 10 million and if he is able to finish the season injury free 12 million

Randar68
08-27-2001, 05:33 PM
i'd say a base salary of maybe 2 million and if hes able to pitch 28 games his salary should escalate up to five, if he can win at least 12 plus games salary should be 7 million, and if he can finish in the top five for cy young 10 million and if he is able to finish the season injury free 12 million

Well, I think it would actually take a whole lot less than this. Considering the 1+ million dollar buyout. The rumors were that the Ynks were only going to offer a minor league contract, so I think incentives that COULD reach 6-7 million, with the buyout would be near his 2000 salary...

ihatethecubs
08-27-2001, 08:24 PM
he said he "wants to stick it to the yankees more than any other team" because they "ruined his dream." that was before the season and now theres talk of him going to NY again, but if hes with the sox next year its worth the chance. he needs to be healthy and he hopefully can do what he was supposed to and he needs to learn to field bunts. i bought a david wells jersey at soxfest then i had the letters and number taken off of it by june. maybe it was a mistake

Daver
08-27-2001, 09:02 PM
Can we include language in that contract that makes him push away from the dinner table?

With all this off time I am sure he is ballooning up nicely.

Try some carrotts Dave.