PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 9/4


Hangar18
09-04-2003, 10:48 AM
Since this topic came up in another thread, and I jokingly Mocked the Media for going HogWild, and how the cubs would get Front and Back Page today (boy was I ever right) I decided to give some of us who are "lurkers" here, a "snapshot" of what has fueled my anger for many years. This is just from todays Cub-Times.

10 Cub Stories Including both FRONT & BACK page Pictures
5 Sox Stories nice piece on Thomas by cubfan Couch.
one story is about the 83 team.

mandmandm
09-04-2003, 10:58 AM
What do you expect? Cubs come back from a huge deficit. Sox play dead against a potential playoff contender two days in a row . Cubs gain on St. Louis. Sox lose ground to both Minnesota and KC. Sox lose soul possesion of first. Can't even get 20,000 to show up at the Cell. Manager and 3rd base coach are idiots. Quite frankly I am glad I do not have to read a bunch of material on the Sox after a lackluster performance the last two days.

CHISOXFAN13
09-04-2003, 11:10 AM
I aree. Who the hell wants to read 10 stories about that loss.

Hangar18
09-04-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by mandmandm
What do you expect? Cubs come back from a huge deficit. Sox play dead against a potential playoff contender two days in a row . Cubs gain on St. Louis. Sox lose ground to both Minnesota and KC. Sox lose soul possesion of first. Can't even get 20,000 to show up at the Cell. Manager and 3rd base coach are idiots. Quite frankly I am glad I do not have to read a bunch of material on the Sox after a lackluster performance the last two days.

I see your point, and its a good one, BUT what about the Huge Comeback on SUNDAY & it being Loiazas 18th W ? all the sox got was a nice backpage article, but was the news of the day?
The Cub games dominated once inside. The Fact is.....were talking about fanbases and attracting the Casual Fan. the cubs seem to have this locked up, lock stock and barrel. The only way to ReGain this "base", would be for HUGE AMOUNTS OF AIRTIME/MEDIA ATTENTION. that simply will NOT HAPPEN with the Media Going Hog Wild over the cubs. The Media are OFFICIALLY in the "SHOCK AND AWE" phase. Any extra reporters are being sent to Wrigley, All extra Cameras/trucks are being sent there. Its a Business, so Every Station/Paper is Trying to OUTDO each other for Coverage, and will all be at the SOX EXPENSE. We can only hope for a 5 gm losing streak up north....but history shows, once the Media are in this phase, they will not Let Up til the season ends for fear their Competitor/Rivals will stay and outdo them. Were in big big trouble folks. The sox arent helping by LOSING right now.

Viva Magglio
09-04-2003, 11:23 AM
Answer me this. When we swept Minnesota at home and when we swept Kansas City on the road, did the media go as "ga-ga" as they have with the Cubs winning the first three of four from the Cardinals?

Hangar18
09-04-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Answer me this. When we swept Minnesota at home and when we swept Kansas City on the road, did the media go as "ga-ga" as they have with the Cubs winning the first three of four from the Cardinals?

Excellent Point. What were seeing from the Media Right NOW, is something I havnt seen since the Bulls were winning all their Championships. hell, this is outdoing the 98 cub team. Its so dang noticable, I dont know how these guys live with themselves. Its so apparent how they prefer one team over another. This is partly the sox fault for again, letting this coverage run amok

Iwritecode
09-04-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I see your point, and its a good one, BUT what about the Huge Comeback on SUNDAY & it being Loiazas 18th W ? all the sox got was a nice backpage article, but was the news of the day?
The Cub games dominated once inside. The Fact is.....were talking about fanbases and attracting the Casual Fan. the cubs seem to have this locked up, lock stock and barrel. The only way to ReGain this "base", would be for HUGE AMOUNTS OF AIRTIME/MEDIA ATTENTION. that simply will NOT HAPPEN with the Media Going Hog Wild over the cubs. The Media are OFFICIALLY in the "SHOCK AND AWE" phase. Any extra reporters are being sent to Wrigley, All extra Cameras/trucks are being sent there. Its a Business, so Every Station/Paper is Trying to OUTDO each other for Coverage, and will all be at the SOX EXPENSE. We can only hope for a 5 gm losing streak up north....but history shows, once the Media are in this phase, they will not Let Up til the season ends for fear their Competitor/Rivals will stay and outdo them. Were in big big trouble folks. The sox arent helping by LOSING right now.

Don't forget, one of Chicago's largest "media" owns the Cubs,

Soxboyrob
09-04-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Answer me this. When we swept Minnesota at home and when we swept Kansas City on the road, did the media go as "ga-ga" as they have with the Cubs winning the first three of four from the Cardinals?

Considering that the Cubs are outdrawing the Sox lately by almost a 2 to 1 margin, even though each team is equally in the thick of a pennant race, maybe the newsmedia figures that the proportional interest in the two teams might be relative to the attendance. It's just a theory. Frankly, I don't care about media coverage. I'm just sick to my stomach about the fact that the Sox are losing games that they should have won. If the Cubs are vastly outdrawing the Sox, then I can't bring myself to take issue w/ them getting more attention in the news. Just win some damn games, Sox!!

harwar
09-04-2003, 12:30 PM
This is just the beginning.latent fans all over the country will be crawling out of their prospective hiding places proudly wear their cub colors while proclaiming how they are 3rd generation cub fans.The Cardinal pitching staff is a joke and the Astros are inconsistant so i don't see how the cubs can miss the playoffs.
I have already stopped listening to the Chicago radio stations(save the White Sox games)and i don't bother with those daily biased rags they call newspapers.
If the cubs do make the post-season,then we will see such a hugh and cry across the land that hasn't been seen since the glory days of old,and its going to be then that i will be glad that i live up here on lake wisconsin,because i wouldn't be able to take it.

voodoochile
09-04-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by harwar
This is just the beginning.latent fans all over the country will be crawling out of their prospective hiding places proudly wear their cub colors while proclaiming how they are 3rd generation cub fans.The Cardinal pitching staff is a joke and the Astros are inconsistant so i don't see how the cubs can miss the playoffs.
I have already stopped listening to the Chicago radio stations(save the White Sox games)and i don't bother with those daily biased rags they call newspapers.
If the cubs do make the post-season,then we will see such a hugh and cry across the land that hasn't been seen since the glory days of old,and its going to be then that i will be glad that i live up here on lake wisconsin,because i wouldn't be able to take it.

Let them make the playoffs, who cares. They will go 3 and out again. That offense won't cut the mustard in the playoffs. Teams will pitch around Sosa and it will be all over.

hose
09-04-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Since this topic came up in another thread, and I jokingly Mocked the Media for going HogWild, and how the cubs would get Front and Back Page today (boy was I ever right) I decided to give some of us who are "lurkers" here, a "snapshot" of what has fueled my anger for many years. This is just from todays Cub-Times.

10 Cub Stories Including both FRONT & BACK page Pictures
5 Sox Stories nice piece on Thomas by cubfan Couch.
one story is about the 83 team.


Hangar I posted a column by John Kass who is the Tribune's feature writer and I assume syndicated through out the country.

I made sure to post part of the article because some people don't know how to get past the registration.

Either I'm on a lot of ignore bottons or people don't want to acknowledge someone from the media WHO IS a Sox fan.

FJA
09-04-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
Considering that the Cubs are outdrawing the Sox lately by almost a 2 to 1 margin, even though each team is equally in the thick of a pennant race, maybe the newsmedia figures that the proportional interest in the two teams might be relative to the attendance.

I agree ... just finished Al Franken's new book, which obviously has nothing to do with baseball, but some of his talk about the media does, IMO. About a liberal or conservative media bias in the media, he says that it is negligible ... I think the same really applies to the Sox and Cubs. I don't think the media dons their Cubbie Blue and roots for the Cubs over the Sox. At least not most of it.

But some of the other "more important media biases" Franken brings up, also apply in this Cubs/Sox situation:

1) Pack mentality: The media sees that there are more people at the Flubs game. So, if the Tribune has ten stories about the Cubs, the Sun-Times sees that it is important to newspaper readers that the Cubs are widely covered. The attendance figures confirm that. So the Sun-Times will add a few stories. (And it works both ways if the Sun-Times reports something first.) If Channel 7 does a segment on the Cubs that is widely mentioned on sports talk radio, etc., Channel 5 will counter with one of their own. If Channel 2 sends Jay Levine to Wrigley Field, you sure as hell better believe Channels 5 and 7 will make sure they also have correspondents there. You can't lose the Cub fan viewership, since the attendance figures and media coverage say they are your largest viewing audience. Over the long haul, it produces a snowball effect, where everyone is reporting Cubs first, because it is the status quo. You have to remember, all these organizations are competitors trying to out-do each other.

Could it change to where the Sox are the top story? It could, but as long as the Tribune owns the Cubs, I doubt it. The Tribune, as a business, will always hype the Cubs more. And since the Chicago Tribune is more or less seen as the most respectable media in the city, they lead the "pack."

2) Profit motive: This one's easy. If you're a non-baseball fan, who would you rather read about: Sammy Sosa and Dusty Baker, or Frank Thomas and Jerry Manuel. Say what you want about Dusty and Sham-Me, and I hate them, but they have more character and charisma to the non-baseball fan than Frank and JM. Really, that's who you're trying to attract to your sports section--new readers, people who wouldn't normally read it--because fans have preconceptions and are probably going to read everything baseball-related anyway. Quite simply, Dusty and Sham-Me sell more newspapers than Frank and JM (for the same reason they sell more tickets to games): They are more interesting to outsiders. Of course the media isn't going to slight the Cubs. The Cubs make them money, especially with advertisers.

3) The Don't-Offend-the-Conglomerate-That-Owns-Us bias: I honestly think this is the lesser of the three biases, because the Tribune more often than not gives the Sox a fair shake. But it's there in their coverage of the Cubs: Exaggerated when it's good, downplayed when it's bad. (Hence, "lovable losers" ... few in the media are surprised or angry when the Cubs play badly.) Because the Tribune is a well-regarded media in Chicago, this catches on in the pack mentality, and the cycle continues ...

Really, all I care about is the Sox winning. If the Sox win, the papers don't even have to report it, for all I care ... as long as they're winning. If the media wants to cover the Cubs, then let them. It is at least interesting, I think, to point out what is going on. Because one the Sox win the World Series, I think there will be a serious identity crisis. :D: