PDA

View Full Version : next season


Hokiesox
09-04-2003, 10:31 AM
you'll probably all crucify me for talking about next season, but I don't follow contract situations and stuff like you all do.

Anyway, is there any chance the KW and JR will give this current group an ENTIRE season to play together? Pay them what they're worth? I just think if they could play together for an entire season, and if they realize the games count before July, the Sox could have the same record as NY or Boston. Just my take, and I hope KW (who has earned a good deal of respect from me for this season's moves...) does what he can to keep people around.

Lip Man 1
09-04-2003, 11:45 AM
No...keeping this club together will cost BIG money and the owner claims he doesn't have it to spend because the fans won't "support" him enough to justify spending it.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
09-04-2003, 11:48 AM
The Yankees are going to need pitching. Colon will be a free agent. And what about Loaiza? Is he locked up for next year? Any way, you do the math. As always, Steinbrenner will just spend whatever it takes to get whoever he wants.

voodoochile
09-04-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
The Yankees are going to need pitching. Colon will be a free agent. And what about Loaiza? Is he locked up for next year? Any way, you do the math. As always, Steinbrenner will just spend whatever it takes to get whoever he wants.

The Sox hold an option on Loaiza.

soxtalker
09-04-2003, 12:26 PM
I'd bet that there would still be significant changes even if the Sox won the WS and they had plenty of money to spend. If you're a GM you just can't afford to stand still, and KW has, if anything, become more aggressive over his tenure. If they don't make the playoffs or drop out very early, I'd expect even bigger changes.

LASOXFAN
09-04-2003, 12:29 PM
OK, this might be the lamest observation I've ever tried to make, but here goes.

When the cameras pan to the dugout you catch small glimpses of players mingling. I've noticed on number of occasions where Colon seems to be having a good time with this team: Loiza hopping on his back in Detroit, him coming down the bench to high five Buehrle after Valentin's dinger, stuff like that. My point is that I think he likes playing for the Sox. That might go a long way in making him want to stay. I think we'll see a new manager next year and that could help as well. I for one believe Colon will be back and that next year's rotation will be:

Loiza
Colon
Buehrle
Garland
Rauch

voodoochile
09-04-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
OK, this might be the lamest observation I've ever tried to make, but here goes.

When the cameras pan to the dugout you catch small glimpses of players mingling. I've noticed on number of occasions where Colon seems to be having a good time with this team: Loiza hopping on his back in Detroit, him coming down the bench to high five Buehrle after Valentin's dinger, stuff like that. My point is that I think he likes playing for the Sox. That might go a long way in making him want to stay. I think we'll see a new manager next year and that could help as well. I for one believe Colon will be back and that next year's rotation will be:

Loiza
Colon
Buehrle
Garland
Rauch

I like it a lot and Colon's mediocre year (by his standards) might scare off some of the top money bids he might have otherwise received.

maurice
09-04-2003, 12:42 PM
Colon and Valentin are gone.
Sullivan and/or Gordon are gone.
Konerko, Lee, and/or Everett are gone (pick one or two).

To stay within the budget he's likely to receive, KW has lined up cheaper (and probably less effective) replacements for all of them, except Valentin. Look for that to be his offseason priority. Unfortunately, the last time SS was KW's offseason priority, we got . . .

:hitless

LASOXFAN
09-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I like it a lot and Colon's mediocre year (by his standards) might scare off some of the top money bids he might have otherwise received.

Good point. He's on his way to a .500 year. Of course a good showing in the playoffs would see a rise in his stock.

CHISOXFAN13
09-04-2003, 01:14 PM
Valentin is about to reach an incentive in his contract that will autmoatically give him a guaranteed deal next season.

Unless he starts sitting, Hose will be back.

dickallen15
09-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
No...keeping this club together will cost BIG money and the owner claims he doesn't have it to spend because the fans won't "support" him enough to justify spending it.

Lip


Considering less than 21,000 show up on a beautiful night with the team in first place, and $5 tickets to be had, I tend to believe him.

whitesoxwilkes
09-04-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
Considering less than 21,000 show up on a beautiful night with the team in first place, and $5 tickets to be had, I tend to believe him.

Agreed. There's a winner on the field. What's so difficult about coming down? I hate to say it, but at this point in the year I'd rather see lemmings packing the stands than empty blue seats.

MisterB
09-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Konerko, Lee, and/or Everett are gone (pick one or two).


Konerko is going nowhere (in more ways than one), he's kind of like Jaime Navarro Lite. He isn't as horrible as Jaime was, but isn't nearly worth the money he's going to be making. Everett is likely gone. I think Lee will get an arbitration offer, but might be moved before the end of ST if Borchard or Reed knock people's socks off.

gosox41
09-04-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
No...keeping this club together will cost BIG money and the owner claims he doesn't have it to spend because the fans won't "support" him enough to justify spending it.

Lip

I don't know if I want this same club back next year. Even without JM, I have serious doubts about the way this team is built. Sure the talent level is there to have a bunch of home run hitters. But this team routinely fails to execute in the clutch and it's aggravating. With any sort of ability to do the little things, this team could have easily beat Boston. Last night's game should have been a laugher, but of course it wasn't.

Bob

soxtalker
09-04-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Colon and Valentin are gone.
Sullivan and/or Gordon are gone.
Konerko, Lee, and/or Everett are gone (pick one or two).

To stay within the budget he's likely to receive, KW has lined up cheaper (and probably less effective) replacements for all of them, except Valentin. Look for that to be his offseason priority. Unfortunately, the last time SS was KW's offseason priority, we got . . .

:hitless

I think that there's a good possibility that this or something like it will be true. Valentine does have the re-signing clause, though I've noticed that he's been sitting more often lately -- so without the playoffs, it will be close. If he doesn't hit the required number of plate appearances, maybe they can resign him for less. Or KW may go out an acquire someone (hopefully, having learned from the last time).

I can't see Everett back. And while Lee has improved significantly, he may be at the top of his trade value.