PDA

View Full Version : the myriad reasons we can't win a one -run game

soxruleEP
09-04-2003, 08:06 AM
. . . Although they are related to Manuel:

1. Why did Scott Sullivan face Ortiz after walking Ramirez?

Answer: because the idiot Manuel did not have anyone warmed up except Marte and he didn't want to use MArte to face only one leftie hitter. So he roles the dice and loses again.

Why not warm up Wunsch and Gordon, then bring in Kelly to get Ortiz and then Gordon to face the succession of righties coming up. You still have Marte for the 9th.

2. Why was Rowand the best option to pich run for Frank?

Answer: because the idiot Manuel used Willie as a defensive replacement for Carl. This was a good move except it should have been Rowand--the better outfielder and the better hitter.

If Harris's main value to the team is his tremendous speed, why not preserve him on the bench to pinch run? If Frank got on, it was an absolute to pinch run for him. And Harris would have been in there on Mag's hit. [BTW--it took a PERFECT throw from Garciaparra to get him.]

The idiot Manuel cannot think ahead. I sat in the stands last night and said all these things during the game to my daughter and brother-in-law. These are not second guesses. If I--as a fan who "doesn't understand baseball and can't understand what [they're] trying to do"--can see these things developing, why can't the idiot Manuel and his coaches see it?

Please don't say that Manuel was ejected by then and he didn't make those decisions. We didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday.

ssang
09-04-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by soxruleEP

Answer: because the idiot Manuel did not have anyone warmed up except Marte and he didn't want to use MArte to face only one leftie hitter. So he roles the dice and loses again.

Why not warm up Wunsch and Gordon, then bring in Kelly to get Ortiz and then Gordon to face the succession of righties coming up. You still have Marte for the 9th.

2. Why was Rowand the best option to pich run for Frank?

Answer: because the idiot Manuel used Willie as a defensive replacement for Carl. This was a good move except it should have been Rowand--the better outfielder and the better hitter.

If Harris's main value to the team is his tremendous speed, why not preserve him on the bench to pinch run? If Frank got on, it was an absolute to pinch run for him. And Harris would have been in there on Mag's hit. [BTW--it took a PERFECT throw from Garciaparra to get him.]

The idiot Manuel cannot think ahead. I sat in the stands last night and said all these things during the game to my daughter and brother-in-law. These are not second guesses. If I--as a fan who "doesn't understand baseball and can't understand what [they're] trying to do"--can see these things developing, why can't the idiot Manuel and his coaches see it?

Please don't say that Manuel was ejected by then and he didn't make those decisions. We didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday.

I agree whole-heartedly! We cannot and will not win this division with Manuel. I would be shocked if the Sox end up beating ou t the Twins and or the Royals

jeremyb1
09-04-2003, 03:33 PM

You know what would be even better than going back to see where we gave up home runs in the game and finding ways to avoid them and then blame Manuel for not making that move? What if Manuel would've been smart enough to go back in time to when David Ortiz was a young boy and convince him not to become a baseball player. Guess what, then Ortiz would've hit zero home runs last night and we definately would've won.

voodoochile
09-04-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
You know what would be even better than going back to see where we gave up home runs in the game and finding ways to avoid them and then blame Manuel for not making that move? What if Manuel would've been smart enough to go back in time to when David Ortiz was a young boy and convince him not to become a baseball player. Guess what, then Ortiz would've hit zero home runs last night and we definately would've won.

Just curious is anything ever Manuel's fault? Maybe some of us take the blaming Manuel thing to an extreme, but do you think Jerry has made any mistakes at all this year?

VeeckAsInWreck
09-04-2003, 03:41 PM
face it, last nights game is in the books. It is very easy now to say we shoulda, coulda, and woulda.
Unless one of you owns a DeLorian and can make it go back in time to last night's game, then I can see your point in discussing this further.

:)

Bring on the Tribe and let's go from there!

bobj4400
09-04-2003, 03:41 PM

Criticizing the manager for not bringing in a lefty to face Ortiz (not once, but twice) is not that much of a stretch. I said it as I sat in my seat last night and everyone around me completely agreed. This was BEFORE the homerun each time.

soxruleEP
09-04-2003, 04:59 PM

Try actually reading the post and seeing what it says--this is not second guessing. It is further proof that Manuel can't handle the team.

It wouldn't have takena genius to bring a lefthander to face Ortiz--epecially since Marte was warmed up already.

I guess worrying about that is absurd at this point. It is a well established fact and we have him until the end of the season.

jeremyb1
09-08-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Just curious is anything ever Manuel's fault? Maybe some of us take the blaming Manuel thing to an extreme, but do you think Jerry has made any mistakes at all this year?

Is anything ever not Manuel's fault? I think Manuel makes plenty of mistakes, he's probably a mediocre manager at best. However, the extreme viewpoints held by 98% of the people that post on this board force me to become more of a Manuel apologizer than I would be in a neutral setting. Sometimes I'm forced to play devil's advocate to a certain extent because most of the time even if I agree with the bottom line, the logic used to reach that point or the outrage expressed by those complaining sickens me.

fquaye149
09-08-2003, 09:13 AM
[BTW--it took a PERFECT throw from Garciaparra to get him.]

to get him. by 8 steps.