PDA

View Full Version : Will Mags win the batting title?

Bisco Stu
09-04-2003, 01:31 AM
It'd be nice to have two batting champs on the team, also a hitting crown would increase Mags' HOF chances down the line.

doublem23
09-04-2003, 01:35 AM
I don't ever see him breaking .330 (.335 generous), and EVERYONE would have to be in a Konerko-esque slump for that to win a batting title. Unfortunately for Maggs, he does everything very, very well, but nothing GREAT.

:boston
Which means we ignore him on Baseball Tonight in favor of the GREAT Bill Mueller.

Jjav829
09-04-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
I don't ever see him breaking .330 (.335 generous), and EVERYONE would have to be in a Konerko-esque slump for that to win a batting title. Unfortunately for Maggs, he does everything very, very well, but nothing GREAT.

:boston
Which means we ignore him on Baseball Tonight in favor of the GREAT Bill Mueller.

Well don't look now, but Maggs is hitting .322 which is tied for first.

34 Inch Stick
09-04-2003, 09:27 AM
A batting champion should be embarrassed that a team felt so confident in his inability to get a hit that they intentionally walked the bases loaded TWICE to get to him.

The numbers are lying this year with Maggs.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-04-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
A batting champion should be embarrassed that a team felt so confident in his inability to get a hit that they intentionally walked the bases loaded TWICE to get to him.

The numbers are lying this year with Maggs.

Magglio will never be an MVP until he proves he can consistently hit when the temperature is below 70 degrees. There are too many ballgames early and late in the year when he looks very ordinary at the plate. I would love to know how many of his double-play grounders came in cooler/cold weather.

An MVP puts together 6 full months of top-notch play. That's why Frank won two of them, and I doubt Magglio will ever achieve even one. :(:

Jerko
09-04-2003, 10:40 AM
I thought I heard Jeter had the 'inside' track since he has way fewer at bats and it's easier for his average to go up. I don't know why that same article didn't say it's also easier for it to go down too. Who knows? I just root for Mags and hope he wins it.

DrCrawdad
09-04-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
It'd be nice to have two batting champs on the team, also a hitting crown would increase Mags' HOF chances down the line.

If Maggs was to win the batting crown, fine. I'd rather have Maggs drop in BA and hit into less inning ending double plays.