PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Numbers

Lip Man 1
09-03-2003, 11:30 PM
With the Sox losing another pair of one run games, I thought I'd check to see how they are doing in "close" game situations.

I have no idea how these numbers compare to other clubs, especially divisional leaders but I can't for a minute think they rank very high.

If the Sox piss away a playoff spot, here's some reasons to explain why:

1 run games.............................. 18 - 22
When allowing 3 runs or less...... 43 - 16
When allowing 2 runs or less...... 38 - 9

That's an awful lot of losses giving up three or fewer runs.

Now some other interesting numbers (see I can be a stat freak!)

The Sox have lost THREE games 1-0
The Sox have lost SIX games 2-1

The Sox have lost TEN games this season where they took a lead into the 7th inning or later.

A bad bullpen, bad situational hitting and bad fundamentels (i.e. a losing record in one run games) adds up to one thing....no playoffs.

Lip

voodoochile
09-03-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
A bad bullpen, bad situational hitting and bad fundamentels (i.e. a losing record in one run games) adds up to one thing....no playoffs.

Lip

Not yet it doesn't. As mad as I am with these last two games, I still think this team can make it to the playoffs and be a force therein. Heck they just went toe-to-toe with a team that is tied for the WC race and any number of small things could have turned these two losses into a win. While I know that is your point, I still believe this team can win games like this.

The bullpen is as strong as at anytime in a long time. Most of those one-run losses were in the first half of the season. It has changed dramatically since they have been winning.

Lip Man 1
09-04-2003, 12:29 AM
Voodoo says: "any number of small things could have turned these two losses into a win

With respect Voodoo but they DIDN'T win did they? and these small things have been going on month after month game after game after game.

When does it end Voodoo?

When do they stop blowing games after the 7th inning? When do they stop hitting into inning killing double plays??? When does Manager Gandhi stop making decisions that kill this team??? When do they stop shooting themselves in the foot because they can't beat Detroit, Tampa bay, Cleveland and San Diego????

Lip

voodoochile
09-04-2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Voodoo says: "any number of small things could have turned these two losses into a win

With respect Voodoo but they DIDN'T win did they? and these small things have been going on month after month game after game after game.

When does it end Voodoo?

When do they stop blowing games after the 7th inning? When do they stop hitting into inning killing double plays??? When does Manager Gandhi stop making decisions that kill this team??? When do they stop shooting themselves in the foot because they can't beat Detroit, Tampa bay, Cleveland and San Diego????

Lip

When this man -----------------> :jerry is fired it may start to improve...

Lip, we are done with those teams this year, so it does NO good to rehash the past losses. Look at the bright side, the Sox can't lose to them anymore this season. Maybe not playing the dregs of the AL will bring out the greatness of the team.

:jerry
"Not while I'm around..."

kermittheefrog
09-04-2003, 03:44 AM
How about one run games are decided more by luck than skill? Especially games as close as the two Red Sox games. We lost two extremely close ones to one of the better teams in the league. It's not a big deal. We'll beat up on the Tribe this weekend.

Dan H
09-04-2003, 06:16 AM
I am not ready to push the panic button yet, but Lip has a point. Winning the close games is the sure sign of a real contender, not a team lucky to be in a weak divison.

I still think the Sox have the most talent to win the division. But should they make the playoffs, they have to execute in the late innings and do smart things like get in the man from third with less than two outs. Playoff games will be close like last night. You won't homer someone to death, and you won't win by not thinking out there.