PDA

View Full Version : Put my money where my mouth is...

voodoochile
08-27-2001, 09:26 AM
Offered two friends 3-1 on $100 that the Sox would win the Series by the end of 2006...

Soxboyrob
08-27-2001, 09:50 AM
I'm not clear on your bet....are you paying 3-1 if they don't win it or are they paying you 3-1 if the Sox do win it? I might like to get in on that action.

voodoochile
08-27-2001, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
I'm not clear on your bet....are you paying 3-1 if they don't win it or are they paying you 3-1 if the Sox do win it? I might like to get in on that action.

No, unfortunately they are a couple of flubbie fan wusses. I initially said. "In the next 5 years the Sox will win the Series." I wasn't including this year in my thinking but they made a big technical point about it and so I had to offer some odds to get 2006 inluded. So, I will win $100 from each of them sometime in the next 5+ years. It was strictly a trashtalking macho bet between friends, so no one else can get any of the action... We ain't Vegas...

:)

ma-gaga
08-27-2001, 10:20 AM
Whoops, he beat me to it. Well, no guessing allowed then.

Good luck VD!!!

Paulwny
08-27-2001, 10:31 AM
I know 2 guys in Chi:1 sox fan 1 cub fan, who have a bet on who'll win the WS first. They add to the pot every year since they were in their teens. The pot has grown so large that they had to open a bank acc. They now feel that one of their great-great grandchildren will finally win the $$$ and retire early.

Soxboyrob
08-27-2001, 10:38 AM
If I were you, I'd go to Vegas and hedge that Sox/World Series bet. I certainly don't trust that a team that is run by Reiny is gonna have a very good chance to win a world series. Smart money ought to be bet against our Sox, not on them. The best thing about betting against them is that if they lose, we bettors win. If they win, we don't really mind losing the money anyway.

ma-gaga
08-27-2001, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

flubbie fan wusses

so I had to offer some odds to get 2006 inluded

never have truer words been spoken.

voodoochile
08-27-2001, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
If I were you, I'd go to Vegas and hedge that Sox/World Series bet. I certainly don't trust that a team that is run by Reiny is gonna have a very good chance to win a world series. Smart money ought to be bet against our Sox, not on them. The best thing about betting against them is that if they lose, we bettors win. If they win, we don't really mind losing the money anyway.

NO HEDGING!!! HEDGING IS FOR WUSSES!!! I don't want to jinx the bet. I firmly believe this bet to be a good one and I won't back off of it in any way. I will be a whopping $200 richer in the next 5+ years. I will probably blow it on a good bottle of Champagne. Heck if things go right for the Sox and they sign Boomer and he has a monster year (as does Frank) I may win this sucker next year, though my money is on 2003, 2004 and 2005 being the prime years.

GO SOX!!! WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS BEFORE 2007!!!

Procol Harum
08-27-2001, 11:18 AM

I may win this sucker next year, though my money is on 2003, 2004 and 2005 being the prime years.

May it be so, although Soxboyrob makes a good point in noting that the brooding presence of Reinsdorf really puts a crimp in this possibility!! But hey, if we win the Series next year--I'll buy everybody on WSI a churro come opening week 2003. :)

CLR01
08-27-2001, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum

May it be so, although Soxboyrob makes a good point in noting that the brooding presence of Reinsdorf really puts a crimp in this possibility!!

"Hey don't forget about me. Ill get in on that bet and i will give you 10-1 odds.

:KW

Soxboyrob
08-27-2001, 11:40 AM
I may win this sucker next year, though my money is on 2003, 2004 and 2005 being the prime years.

My fear about those years is that our roster may potentially be clogged w/ a pouting and skills-diminishing Frank Thomas, a still not living up to his potential Ray Durham, a still trying to learn to hit Crede and a still walking everyone and their brother Garland. Ya see what being a Sox fan all of these years has done to me? It's made me into a sourpuss and cynical bastard!

voodoochile
08-27-2001, 12:06 PM
Ya see what being a Sox fan all of these years has done to me? It's made me into a sourpuss and cynical bastard!

Deep breath... pause... deep breath... pause...

Easy there. Who's to say Frank won't come back and tear the cover off the ball and Ray won't get his OBP back up to where his career numbers are? You can be a cynic, but keep the faith... That's what being a FAN is all about. Hope springs eternal...

Heck, even after Nelson and the rest of the mighty Mariners bullpen conspired to keep the Sox down yesterday and Ichiro etal folded like little girls with the bases loaded and 1 out in the bottom of the ninth, the Sox aren't dead this year. Here you are worried about the next 5 years being bad because two of the Sox most regular all stars will somehow drag the team down... It's been a tough year, but come on...

I honestly have never understood what everyone hates about Ray... And that Thomas guy... he stinks (heavy use of sarcasm here, for the humorless amongst us).

That's not cynacism, Roy, it's depression...

try :prozac

Bmr31
08-27-2001, 12:42 PM
Offered two friends 3-1 on $100 that the Sox would win the Series by the end of 2006...

voodoo will you go 100 with me too?

FarWestChicago
08-27-2001, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31

Wow, I thought you had only given up on this season. You've already cashed it in for 2002-2006 (of course, there may not be a 2002)? That's pretty pessimistic even for a Sox fan.

voodoochile
08-27-2001, 01:17 PM

For you and you alone sure... it's a bet... pessamist...

Bmr31
08-27-2001, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago

Wow, I thought you had only given up on this season. You've already cashed it in for 2002-2006 (of course, there may not be a 2002)? That's pretty pessimistic even for a Sox fan.

3-1 odds and they have to WIN the world series? On a odds basis alone, id take that bet anyday. Betting and being a fan, are not related.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-27-2001, 01:19 PM

He's got 84 years worth of futility backing him up. Plus five years isn't a lot of time given that only 4 A.L. teams even make the playoffs and only one of them MIGHT win the series any given year.

If Bmr wants to play the odds he ought to go to Vegas. Of course they've already rigged the game against their customers so "Know the Angles" Bmr is probably too bright to bring much cash.

FarWestChicago
08-27-2001, 01:21 PM
If Bmr wants to play the odds he ought to go to Vegas. Of course they've already rigged the game against their customers so "Know the Angles" Bmr is probably too bright to bring much cash.

Bmr cleans Vegas out on free drinks every time he goes. He probably bets $20 and drinks $100 every time he sits down. :)

Bmr31
08-27-2001, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

He's got 84 years worth of futility backing him up. Plus five years isn't a lot of time given that only 4 A.L. teams even make the playoffs and only one of them MIGHT win the series any given year.

only a fool bets. But when this fool bets, he doesnt allow his emotions to play a part. In my heart, i know the sox will win a ring soon, i just wouldnt bet on it.

FarWestChicago
08-27-2001, 01:24 PM

3-1 odds and they have to WIN the world series? On a odds basis alone, id take that bet anyday. Betting and being a fan, are not related.

If you bet against the Sox you have a conflict of interest. What's more important, the $100 or the Sox winning?

Bmr31
08-27-2001, 01:25 PM

If you bet against the Sox you have a conflict of interest. What's more important, the $100 or the Sox winning?

you know the answer to that....

Bmr31
08-27-2001, 01:26 PM

Thats like asking whats more important, love or sex. Does it mean id turn down sex? :)

FarWestChicago
08-27-2001, 01:31 PM

you know the answer to that....

Yeah, but you haven't responded to the free drinks comment yet.

Bmr31
08-27-2001, 01:36 PM

Yeah, but you haven't responded to the free drinks comment yet.

i think drank a LOT of free beer last time i was out there lol