PDA

View Full Version : The Problem with Manuel...

Tragg
09-03-2003, 09:28 PM
isn't just his boneheaded moves, his short sided thinking, his virtual REFUSAL to pinch hit (Willie needs that game on the line experience - just idiotic and Manuel put himself into that fix) - much of that, arguably is second guessing.
But when does he make an INSPIRED move? The best we can hope for from him is no mistakes on any game day. He's like an attorney that the firm won't let out of the law library because he has no real creative thinking power - not partner material and it's obvious at the beginning.

Manuel is a professional manager at the highest level in the game in the world. It shouldn't be US second guessing him - he should be wooing us with his brilliance.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-03-2003, 09:30 PM
One possible defense for Manuel: he did get kicked out earlier in the game. Of course most managers are in the tunnel directing all the action through the bench coach. Manuel probably thinks it's against the rules or something.

:jerry
"Nah. I took an early nap."

Tragg
09-03-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
One possible defense for Manuel: he did get kicked out earlier in the game. Of course most managers are in the tunnel directing all the action through the bench coach. Manuel probably thinks it's against the rules or something.

:jerry
"Nah. I took an early nap."

Then my mistake - I didn't get away from work and turn it on until the throw out a home and the harris at bat.
It probably wasn't his fault, but DO SOMETHING, Jerry!

RKMeibalane
09-03-2003, 09:38 PM
Am I the only one who thinks it was a mistake to have Rowand pinch-run for Frank in the ninth? That has always bothered me. Yes, Frank is slow, but I always worry about not having him around for the extra innings.

We saw a situation similar to this tonight with Harris coming up in a clutch situation. Again, I realize that Harris was brought on as a defensive replacement, but there are certain things that he just can't do... such as hit the ball out of the infield.

Poor situational hitting, bad coaching, and a lack of intensity are going to be the bane of this team.

CHISOXFAN13
09-03-2003, 09:44 PM
I know many of you dislike Aaron Miles, but IMO, I would have rather seen him pinch run in that situation.

If you aren't going to use the guy for situations like that, then there is no reason for him to even be here.

WhiteSox = Life
09-03-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Poor situational hitting, bad coaching, and a lack of intensity are going to be the bane of this team.

Going to be? It's been so innumerable times this season already.

:(:

RKMeibalane
09-03-2003, 09:47 PM
Here's to hoping that Jeremy Reed arrives sooner than expected, so the ongoing drama in centerfield will come to an end. I am sick and tired of seeing Everett struggle to run down fly balls, and I am even more tired of seeing Willie Harris standing in the batter's box. There are some things that just don't mix. Oil and water come to mind, but so does Wille Harris and baseball bat.

MarkEdward
09-03-2003, 09:49 PM
Am I the only one who thinks it was a mistake to have Rowand pinch-run for Frank in the ninth? That has always bothered me. Yes, Frank is slow, but I always worry about not having him around for the extra innings.

Well, can't blame Manuel for that gaffe. He was already thrown out of the game by then...

RKMeibalane
09-03-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Well, can't blame Manuel for that gaffe. He was already thrown out of the game by then...

I don't blame Manuel for that. The coaching staff in general needs to stop removing key offensive players from close games.

Daver
09-04-2003, 02:19 AM
Here's to hoping that Jeremy Reed arrives sooner than expected, so the ongoing drama in centerfield will come to an end. I am sick and tired of seeing Everett struggle to run down fly balls, and I am even more tired of seeing Willie Harris standing in the batter's box. There are some things that just don't mix. Oil and water come to mind, but so does Wille Harris and baseball bat.

Reed is a left fielder,as a converted infielder that does not possess Willie Harris he would not be a real good choice for center field.

34 Inch Stick
09-04-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
I know many of you dislike Aaron Miles, but IMO, I would have rather seen him pinch run in that situation.

If you aren't going to use the guy for situations like that, then there is no reason for him to even be here.

I knew the loss of Josh Paul would come back to haunt us.

maurice
09-04-2003, 11:18 AM
I doubt Miles, Reed, or (cough) Paul are faster than Rowand, though Harris certainly is. It would have been nice to be able to use our designated pinch runner in a key pinch running situation.

CubKiller
09-04-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by maurice
...It would have been nice to be able to use our designated pinch runner in a key pinch running situation.

Yeah, no kidding...and if Rowand went in to play center instead of Harris, which should always be the case but almost never is (thanks to you know who), Harris coulda pinch ran and scored on that play.