PDA

View Full Version : steve stone

ihatethecubs
09-03-2003, 06:06 PM
after todays adorable cubbie win steve stone said "an improbable win, in an improbable season." wait... wasn't steve stone and every other idiot cub fan saying how amazingly great the cubs would be this year and how their pitching would totally dominate and they'd win 100 games? i love how cub fans say at the begining of every year how they are gonna be so great, and if they actually start doing good, its a "magical season nobody expected," and if they suck like usual, its the cute "wait 'til next year" line.

SouthSideHitman
09-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Yeah, most cubs fans don't know what the hell they think about baseball really, as long as there's beer and bikinis, it's baseball for them. But lay off Stone, I'm so glad they brought him back because he is the only cogent cubs broadcaster there. I was watching sunday's game and as chip was nattering on about "a lot of rain all of a sudden", Steve started talking about how most outfield defenses were conceeding the line and trying to block the gaps, which was pretty interesting. Unfortuantly chip had nothing intelligent to say and thus ignored Stone and said nothing intelligent.

I hate the cubs enough that I want to able to enjoy watching them lose without their commentators giving me migranes.

SouthBendSox
09-03-2003, 09:10 PM
and stone will actually be critical at times

that was a crappy line, but he's a good broadcaster

SoxFan76
09-03-2003, 10:13 PM
he definitely knows his stuff. but i cant get over his voice. him and chip might have the most annoying voices on earth. and its pretty sad that they arent the worst chicago baseball broadcasters in town. that goes to pat hughes and ronny. rooney and farmio are the best in my opinion. im a huge hawk fan, but DJ causes some points to be deducted giving rooney and farmer the edge.

but back to steve stone, i respect that he knows baseball. hes the only guy on the northside who does. but i think he OVER analyzes things. he doesnt have to call every single pitch before it happens. plus that annoying voice. no more annoying than chips boring monotone voice.

FJA
09-03-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
he definitely knows his stuff. but i cant get over his voice. him and chip might have the most annoying voices on earth. and its pretty sad that they arent the worst chicago baseball broadcasters in town. that goes to pat hughes and ronny. rooney and farmio are the best in my opinion. im a huge hawk fan, but DJ causes some points to be deducted giving rooney and farmer the edge.

but back to steve stone, i respect that he knows baseball. hes the only guy on the northside who does. but i think he OVER analyzes things. he doesnt have to call every single pitch before it happens. plus that annoying voice. no more annoying than chips boring monotone voice.

Santo and Hughes are amazingly awful.

I've heard rumors, though, that the Flubs are wooing the Royals' Denny Matthews.

34 Inch Stick
09-04-2003, 08:04 AM
That wouldn't be the first lie Stone tried to tell the outside world, if you know what I mean.

Farmer sucks. His producers should force him to give the score every time he is about to break and every time he returns from a break. Tuning in to a game can make you pull your hair out as he regales the audience with some insignificant story while the listener is left in the dark about the action.

Rooney is excellent.

DJ is brutal. He and Hawk have 0 chemistry. The Sox need to think about replacing one of them for the good of the broadcast.

Hawk is okay. He is not great and not bad. He does nothing to improve the relationship between He and DJ and that only hurts his broadcast.

Stone is the best.

I am offended that Chimp even has a job in broadcasting. God I want to wedgie that loser every time I hear him. Even in his later days his grampa never acted as old as a young Chimp.

Ronny is there only out of sympathy. Nice rug Ronny. Hughes is as average as they come.

KingXerxes
09-04-2003, 09:20 AM
Farmer was really awful last night. I went out on my front porch with a radio, turned it on, and this is what I get:

:farmer

"Okay now Ortiz hit a two run home run, a two run home run, but that only puts us down by one run, not two, ever though the home run was a two run home run......."

Why is this guy on the radio?

SoxFan76
09-04-2003, 05:40 PM
yeah, farmer is pretty bad. i know i said they are the best team in chicago, and i stand by that only because they have the most chemistry between the 4 teams, but farmer shows no emotion at all. rooney is great though. i think hawk is the best announcer in baseball. he just gets so emotional, that it makes the game that much more fun to watch. ill watch sox highlights on sportscenter just so i can hear hawks calls. like alomar and everetts first game together, with that extra innnings win. when paulie hit that homerun, that was unbelievable. then frank hits the massive shot to win it. hawk made it that much better.

it wouldnt break my heart if DJ left. i say bring back wimpy. i think what really hurts hawk and DJ, is that they are from 2 different eras. hawk will talk about hank aaron, while DJ will talk about tony gwynn. so hawk can relate with DJ, but DJ cant really relate with hawk.

SouthBendSox
09-04-2003, 06:40 PM
and Hawk just doesnt like Dj for some reason

soxtalker
09-04-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
it wouldnt break my heart if DJ left. i say bring back wimpy. i think what really hurts hawk and DJ, is that they are from 2 different eras. hawk will talk about hank aaron, while DJ will talk about tony gwynn. so hawk can relate with DJ, but DJ cant really relate with hawk.

I also wouldn't at all mind seeing DJ leave. I don't even think that it is relating to Hawk that is the problem for me, though that doesn't help.

Hawk and Wimpy were great together. (I still remember the "bat" commercial from Wimpy's early days in the booth where he dressed as a vampire). I never did understand the real story of why he was forced to leave. Last I had heard, he was in Detroit.

faneidde
09-04-2003, 07:41 PM
Yeah, whatever happened to Wimpy? He and Hawk were the best.

Viva Magglio
09-04-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by faneidde
Yeah, whatever happened to Wimpy? He and Hawk were the best.

Supposedly, Hawk didn't want Wimpy around anymore.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-04-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Supposedly, Hawk didn't want Wimpy around anymore.

The cover story was Wimpy wanted to be back home in Stone Mountain to be with his family. Wimpy came clean with the truth a few months later. The Sox wanted Wimpy to change his routine inside the booth, spend more time explaining the fundamentals of the game for the baseball illiterates that the Sox felt were tuning in. Wimpy went to Jerry Reinsdorf with his beefs, got no satisfaction, and resigned.

Did Hawk have anything to do with Paciorek's ouster? If not, he sure didn't move a finger to help Wimpy with the Chairman.

soxtalker
09-04-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Did Hawk have anything to do with Paciorek's ouster? If not, he sure didn't move a finger to help Wimpy with the Chairman.

I wonder what the dynamics are between JR and Hawk. Were there, for example, any instances that we can cite in which Hawk did intercede on behalf of someone with JR? Also, who in the organization was pushing for Wimpy to change his style?

Hawk not fighting for Wimpy could mean that he actively wanted him out, or it could mean that he didn't want to expend any political capital to do it. If it is the latter, I wonder if he thinks differently now after working with DJ.

greenpeach
09-04-2003, 10:34 PM
Last fall, I met Wimpy at Jocks & Jills outside of Atlanta. He was watching college football waiting for a blind date. We talked for a good 45 minutes & he bought my friends & I some adult beverages. He was a really good guy.

I quizzed him on some people & was surprised with his honesty. To make a long story short, he called Hawk a back stabber & an A-Hole. His highest praise was saved for Tommy Lasorda & Bobby Valentine. He called them two of the best friends a guy could have. To this day, he's still close with both of them. The funniest part of the evening was when he talked about ex-Dodger manager Walt Alston. He said that Walt reminded him of his grandpa after senility set in. He indicated that the last couple of years he couldn't remember the names of the players on the team.

Daver
09-04-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by greenpeach
Last fall, I met Wimpy at Jocks & Jills outside of Atlanta. He was watching college football waiting for a blind date. We talked for a good 45 minutes & he bought my friends & I some adult beverages. He was a really good guy.

I quizzed him on some people & was surprised with his honesty. To make a long story short, he called Hawk a back stabber & an A-Hole. His highest praise was saved for Tommy Lasorda & Bobby Valentine. He called them two of the best friends a guy could have. To this day, he's still close with both of them. The funniest part of the evening was when he talked about ex-Dodger manager Walt Alston. He said that Walt reminded him of his grandpa after senility set in. He indicated that the last couple of years he couldn't remember the names of the players on the team.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

GoSox2K3
09-04-2003, 11:33 PM
Very interesting about Wimpy. I never heard anything beyond the cover story of him wanted to stay close to his family.

I'm surprised the Scrubs didn't pick him up. They almost always are waiting to pick up the Sox's castaways. (Harry Caray, Piersall, Sosa, Larry Hines, Danny Evans, Schueler, Bobby Hill, Sirotka, Josh Paul). They could have easily given the Sox another black eye by getting Wimpy. I'm glad it didn't happen.

thepaulbowski
09-05-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
Farmer was really awful last night. I went out on my front porch with a radio, turned it on, and this is what I get:

:farmer

"Okay now Ortiz hit a two run home run, a two run home run, but that only puts us down by one run, not two, ever though the home run was a two run home run......."

Why is this guy on the radio?

I like Rooney & Farmer. Farmer says some stupid things, but he knows the game and how it should be played. Farmer can offer some of the same insight that Stone can, both former players that often question what is happening on the field.

Hangar18
09-05-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
Very interesting about Wimpy. I never heard anything beyond the cover story of him wanted to stay close to his family.

I'm surprised the Scrubs didn't pick him up. They almost always are waiting to pick up the Sox's castaways. (Harry Caray, Piersall, Sosa, Larry Hines, Danny Evans, Schueler, Bobby Hill, Sirotka, Josh Paul). They could have easily given the Sox another black eye by getting Wimpy. I'm glad it didn't happen.

I told everyone that the Wimperoo would be hired down the line by the cubs for that very reason, but it didnt happen. I did call in the OffSeason that Lofton would be a cub. My prediction of Pudge being a Cub by the tradedeadline was off.

KingXerxes
09-05-2003, 09:41 AM
The fact that Farmer once played means absolutely nothing in terms of his ability as an announcer.

I'm all for knowledgable broadcasters, but this guy sits in the radio booth all game and chatters on like a magpie. Sometimes there is no end to it.

Does anybody remember J.C. Martin in the booth? Billy Pierce?, Lou Brock? They were all former players - AND THEY WERE ALL TERRIBLE. Throw Farmer on this scrap heap, and get somebody who's tolerable.

Of all the announcers they have - Rooney is the best. Everybody else should be shown the door as part of a massive marketing overhaul. The announcers have a primary obligation to entertain because this is, after all, an entertainment business. If they can do so intelligently great, but to say that somebody's knowledge of the game is enough to carry them day after day in the broadcast booth is simply a non-starter. Why don't we just hire actuaries from Bill James' Statistical Abstract to sit and spew out monotonous factoids all game - they have knowledge? I still believe that their television crew (Harrelson and whomever) have an extremely limited appeal to general audiences - and it manifests itself in increasing shrinking attendance numbers and fan interest levels.

That all being said - Do people on this board like Harrelson/Farmer/Wills? For the most part yes. But the Chicago White Sox don't need to appeal to the people on these boards because we're already a captive group - we were born this way. They need mass appeal in order to put butts in the seats, and they just don't see where they're screwing it up.

KingXerxes
09-05-2003, 09:52 AM
I honestly believe that Ken Harrelson acts as Jerry Reinsdorf's eyes and ears from the broadcast booth - a mole if you will. Sometimes we spend so much time looking for the obscure that we miss the obvious. The fact is that the Harrelson is basically Reinsdorf's hand puppet on television (and I suspect in the clubhouse as some sort of little spy).

I had heard that Paciorek totally broke bad on Harrelson due to something on Harrelson's part.

34 Inch Stick
09-05-2003, 10:17 AM

thepaulbowski
09-05-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes

That all being said - Do people on this board like Harrelson/Farmer/Wills? For the most part yes. But the Chicago White Sox don't need to appeal to the people on these boards because we're already a captive group - we were born this way. They need mass appeal in order to put butts in the seats, and they just don't see where they're screwing it up.

So changing the broadcast crew would put people in the seats? I think putting a consistant winner would put people in the seats before the announcers would. Bob Uecker is great in the booth, so why don't the Brewers draw more people then? The TV & Radio ratings for the Sox are always pretty good, so the problem is not with what's in the booth, it's with what's been placed on the field.

KingXerxes
09-05-2003, 11:25 AM
There is only one thing that puts people in the seats, and that's a sucessful marketing program. The White Sox are a perfect example of a team which year in and year out - for the most part -play competitive baseball and generally end the year with a winning record.

Here we are in the middle of a division race, with Boston in town and perfect weather and what do we draw? 20,000? Something is wrong here. It kills me that fans sit and say, well if "we had a consistent winner........." In the past 125 years of baseball, there have precious few teams (St. Louis and the Yankees, possibly the New York Giants and Atlanta Braves) who have been consistent winners.

Would winning help attendance? - I guess it would - but I'm not certain it would help as much as others think it would. Look at Atlanta - they win and can't draw. If you hinge your marketing program on "We're Going to Win it all This Year" (which the White Sox have done in recent years) then you sure as hell better win it all or everybody you initially convinced with your marketing pitch feels like they've been fooled or misled. Everybody writes on these threads how stupid Cub fans are because they show up even when the team sucks - Well that may be only one cut on the multifaceted marketing stone. The Tribune obviously does not make winning the World Series the mark of a sucessful season - and they're wise to do so. They market the field, the players, the broadcasters, the history, the sunshine, the tradition of failure - all of it, and guess what? It works and has for years.

In the mean time what do we get? For the first ten years we get nothing but a marketing scheme hell bent on separating Reinsdorf's White Sox from all other editions before it. New uniforms, new park, new announcers. All the while talking about how "OUR GOAL IS WINNING IT ALL". Clearly that's the goal of all teams in MLB, but you can't make it the only true mark of achievement in the minds of your fan base - and they evidently have.

The Philadelphia Phillies didn't win a pennant until 1950, and then it took another 30 years after that for a 2nd pennant. Were all their fans idiots for not abandoning their team when it didn't consistently win? How about Cincinnati? Doormats for years in the National League. Hell if winning consistently were truly the major factor in attendance then my guess would be that the New York Yankees would be the only team left in baseball.

faneidde
09-05-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3

The Cubs would do well to pick him up. Let Wimpy do the play by play and Stoney do all the boring fundamental stuff. Anything to get rid of ole Chiparoo.

Rocklive99
09-06-2003, 03:41 PM
Chimp and Stone were reallly annoying during the Cardinal series. Whenever the Flubs were down, they were crying about the bad calls, and if they had the lead, they would talk about how no matter what bad calls there are the best team is the team who is going to win.