PDA

View Full Version : What's all this "Chicago fans don't understand baseball" jazz?

LongLiveFisk
09-03-2003, 05:41 PM
OK, I have heard this phrase THREE times this year already.

1)Mark Buehrle, when he was struggling earlier this year and the fans were getting on him.
2)Jerry Manuel, in response to the Buehrle/Cotts controversy against the Yankees, and
3) (even though I'm not a Cubs fan) Antonio Alfonseca after the fiasco at Wrigley Field yesterday.

I happen to think Chicago baseball fans (at least fans of the South Side team anyway) DO understand baseball, and we understand it pretty darn well. Maybe this is just a quick and convenient cop-out answer when the heat is on?

Not that this is anything major, I just found it odd that I never remember hearing this in the past, but all of a sudden it's the common theme around here.

ma-gaga
09-03-2003, 06:35 PM
You 'hear' it because it makes great copy. Chicago writers really like to emphasise the positive. Or expand a non-story if it even smells like a story.

Ignore it, and you'll feel much better.

SoxOnTop
09-03-2003, 07:41 PM
Where the heck did you get that signature!!!! It's a stich.

Jerko
09-03-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by LongLiveFisk
OK, I have heard this phrase THREE times this year already.

1)Mark Buehrle, when he was struggling earlier this year and the fans were getting on him.
2)Jerry Manuel, in response to the Buehrle/Cotts controversy against the Yankees, and
3) (even though I'm not a Cubs fan) Antonio Alfonseca after the fiasco at Wrigley Field yesterday.

I happen to think Chicago baseball fans (at least fans of the South Side team anyway) DO understand baseball, and we understand it pretty darn well. Maybe this is just a quick and convenient cop-out answer when the heat is on?

Not that this is anything major, I just found it odd that I never remember hearing this in the past, but all of a sudden it's the common theme around here.

To add to #3, Guthrie said the same thing while defending good old six-fingers. I think it's just the athlete in general looking down on us poor folk cause we 'never played the game'. They think they know more just cause they play; I guess they never heard the term "dumb jock". I guess since none of US are major league players we're just stupid.

34 Inch Stick
09-04-2003, 08:11 AM
And don't forget WSI's own infrequent poster Joe Cowley said that anyone who would want Manuel fired doesn't know as much about baseball as they think they do.

When it comes down to it most people in the sports business have no respect for the observations of fans.

soxruleEP
09-04-2003, 08:17 AM
And the interesting thing about it (having been a fairly successful high school coach for twelve years before surrendering to moron parents and giving it up) is that baseball is the simpliest of the three major sports to coach although it is the most intersting to watch. these guys need to remember that we do exactly what they do during the game--talk and think about it.

Besides--from what I see going on in the bullpen and the dugout, we may be paying closer attention to the game than they are.

I know I'm paying more attention than the idiot Manuel is.

kevingrt
09-04-2003, 09:04 AM
I think most of us understand baseball better then the average fan anywhere else... sometimes we just get crazy fans saying crazy things, and I don't think anyone likes us taking our baseball teams so serious!

ma-gaga
09-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
Where the heck did you get that signature!!!! It's a stich.

When Carl signed with the Rangers in february, there was a pretty funny article posted at B.Primer. Here. (http://www.baseballprimer.com/clutch/archives/00005831.shtml)

Once, Chicago traded for him, I figured it was pretty amusing. I need to work on a couple more verses, or at least update my fantasy standings.

:)