PDA

View Full Version : Jose has shown us he's a winner


Gumshoe
09-03-2003, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I know, he's slumping hard right now, but I'm not worried, playoff time and he'll be the man.

What of all the naysayers of Jose's D the last 3 months? He's been nearly perfect with some HUGE plays. Just wanted to point this out to all those who thought we didn't need him at SS. He is our every day MVP. You need guys like this to win. What a gamer. I love the guy, whether or not he's hitting .230+

Jose, you're the man

Gumshoe

Rocky Soprano
09-03-2003, 02:18 PM
Jose has heart and thats something certain players batting .300+ dont have.

I agree, come playoff time Jose will step up.

For Jose: :gulp:

JRIG
09-03-2003, 02:41 PM
Even though Win Shares are not meant to be used as an "in-season" stat, Jose has the most defensive Win Shares among shortstops in the AL, and it's not particularly close.

He's always been underrated defensively, and this year has shown he'll take a walk too. His OBP is about 100 points higher than his BA, a great ratio.

maurice
09-03-2003, 02:58 PM
Valentin's defense has been significantly improved since Alomar came on board. It's really quite remarkable. Hopefully, he keeps it up deep into the postseason. Unfortunately, given his extensive history, we can't reasonably expect it to last any longer than that.

There's still no excuse for a major league starter in this era to routinely bat less than .250, especially when he plays on a platoon basis.

JRIG
09-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Valentin's defense has been significantly improved since Alomar came on board. It's really quite remarkable. Hopefully, he keeps it up deep into the postseason. Unfortunately, given his extensive history, we can't reasonably expect it to last any longer than that.

There's still no excuse for a major league starter in this era to routinely bat less than .250, especially when he plays on a platoon basis.

I wish Jose was a platoon player. It would be better for the team if Graffanino started at SS against LHP and it would prevent Valentin from activating the $5 million extension for next year.

In 91 at bats from the right side, Jose is a complete disaster, "batting" .154/.220/.231. From the left side, he's a very good .251/.333/.500.

Dadawg_77
09-03-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
Even though Win Shares are not meant to be used as an "in-season" stat, Jose has the most defensive Win Shares among shortstops in the AL, and it's not particularly close.

He's always been underrated defensively, and this year has shown he'll take a walk too. His OBP is about 100 points higher than his BA, a great ratio.

Injuries and Texas sucking are probably the main cause for that fact. If your team doesn't win or you aren't playing, you don't get a win share.

JRIG
09-03-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Injuries and Texas sucking are probably the main cause for that fact. If your team doesn't win or you aren't playing, you don't get a win share.

Granted, but I don't think that lessens Jose's defensive contributions this year. Even factoring in other players being healthy I think he'd probably be at or near the top.

maurice
09-03-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
I wish Jose was a platoon player. It would be better for the team if Graffanino started at SS against LHP.

Well, Valentin's in JM's version of a "platoon," to the aggravation of many posters here. He's started only 118 of 138 games. IIRC, all the other starts went to Graffy against LH starters. Valentin would have started even fewer games, except that JM also plays Graffy at 2B against LHPs (leaving Valentin the only option at SS) and refuses to PH Graffy for Valentin against LH relievers. Imagine how much worse Valentin's numbers would be if he got those 20 additional starts.

Originally posted by JRIG
From the left side, he's a very good .251/.333/.500.

Sorry, but a .251 AVE and .333 OBP are not "very good" . . . they're "barely adequate." I can live with it if he keeps slugging once in a while and playing good D.

Jurr
09-03-2003, 09:36 PM
Validation.