PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather have Ventura & Alvarez

Bisco Stu
09-03-2003, 02:52 AM
than Crede & (insert our 5th starter here)?

Yeah, I know Crede's the future and Alvarez wouldn't have a 2.57 ERA in the AL, but Robin and Wilson would be a link to the past and more of a veteran presence.

All we got from 93 is Frank.

Oh yeah, and JR...

faneidde
09-03-2003, 06:42 AM
Nope, as much as I love Robin, I must say I'm happy with Crede. He has been swinging the bat really well lately hope he continues too. An interesting thought for next year might be to bring Ventura in as a Graffanino type player. He can play 1st and 3rd and is a left-handed bat that the Sox could use. Just a thought.

RichH55
09-03-2003, 07:55 AM
Pretty much everyone that is gone: Darwin, Hernandez, Fernandez, Alvarez, and Ventura....has done nothing since being with the Sox....for as much crap as JR took for all the moves....pretty much all right on the money

Brian26
09-03-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Pretty much everyone that is gone: Darwin, Hernandez, Fernandez, Alvarez, and Ventura....has done nothing since being with the Sox....for as much crap as JR took for all the moves....pretty much all right on the money

Ugh.

Alex helped the fish win a world title in '97.

Ventura's been to the post season and World Series, and he had one the most dramatic homers in playoff history with the Mets.
Ventura has put up consistent numbers since he's been gone.

Even Roberto, suprisingly, has pitched consistently out of the bullpen for KC, Tampa and Atlanta.

Medford Bobby
09-03-2003, 10:53 AM
I would not mind Robin as a bench guy for next year. Can You imagine if the Sox had all 3 guys together... Thomas, Sosa, and Robin. At this point you would have 2 guys over 400 homeruns and Robin is just shy of 300.....Alvarez would have just gotten :D: fatter and eventually exploded eating his way thru Chicago. I'd say bring back the Deacon............ :cool:

Lip Man 1
09-03-2003, 11:35 AM
Alvarez has had an amazing run as a starter for the Dodgers. Maybe he's finally healthy.

Lip

doublem23
09-03-2003, 12:02 PM
Man, Robin Ventura was like my idol growing up... But his time has passed and Crede has played very well and I am looking forward to him anchoring the hot corner for years.

Maybe Alvarez, but who knows? He would have been too big a risk to take on, anyway.

Hangar18
09-03-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Medford Bobby
I would not mind Robin as a bench guy for next year. Can You imagine if the Sox had all 3 guys together... Thomas, Sosa, and Robin. At this point you would have 2 guys over 400 homeruns and Robin is just shy of 300.....Alvarez would have just gotten :D: fatter and eventually exploded eating his way thru Chicago. I'd say bring back the Deacon............ :cool:

Wait a sec....
Did you just say bring Sosa back to the SOX?? first, he CANT hit AL pitching, and what would we do with that Ordonez guy?

fquaye149
09-03-2003, 12:39 PM
where do we put sosa? no damn where. he's selfish too

Bobby Thigpen
09-03-2003, 12:55 PM
Sosa on Sox= 1 new Brewers fan

Medford Bobby
09-03-2003, 01:53 PM
I'll admit it if Sosa was still on the Sox nobody knows if he could hit AL pitching, hit in a bigger park than Wiggly Field, and listen to any Sox hitting coach, and yes don't forget :angry: the steroids.........He started to turn things around when Jeff Pentland was the Cups hitting coached...........

:bandance: Sox will kick Carmine butt tonight!!!!!!!!!

gosox41
09-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Ugh.

Alex helped the fish win a world title in '97.

Ventura's been to the post season and World Series, and he had one the most dramatic homers in playoff history with the Mets.
Ventura has put up consistent numbers since he's been gone.

Even Roberto, suprisingly, has pitched consistently out of the bullpen for KC, Tampa and Atlanta.

Fernandez won 17 games for the '97 Marlins. After that he had rotator cuff surgery while he collected the remaining $28 mill. on his contract.

Would Sox fans hgave come out more to support this team if Fernandex and Alvarez were signed to long term contracts? I doubt it, they would have just tied down the payroll even more.

Ventura has not been anything like the Ventura of the mid '90's. His best days are behind him.

Bob

RichH55
09-03-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Fernandez won 17 games for the '97 Marlins. After that he had rotator cuff surgery while he collected the remaining $28 mill. on his contract.

Would Sox fans hgave come out more to support this team if Fernandex and Alvarez were signed to long term contracts? I doubt it, they would have just tied down the payroll even more.

Ventura has not been anything like the Ventura of the mid '90's. His best days are behind him.

Bob

Exactly my point...thank you

RichH55
09-03-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Alvarez has had an amazing run as a starter for the Dodgers. Maybe he's finally healthy.

Lip

What's it like 6 years after the fact? That's two deals we would have had to sign him to just to get the "maybe he is finally healthy" version...ugh....JR made the right choice there

Ventura23Fan
09-04-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by RichH55

I won't defend the others, but I will defend Robin. In '99 he won a GG, was 6th in NL MVP voting, and had 120 RBI. He had a decent year last year as well. But his days are numbered, and I would not want him instead of Joe C.

RichH55
09-04-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Ventura23Fan
I won't defend the others, but I will defend Robin. In '99 he won a GG, was 6th in NL MVP voting, and had 120 RBI. He had a decent year last year as well. But his days are numbered, and I would not want him instead of Joe C.

In 1999 he did have a good year, but unless Robin was coming to the White Sox on a one year deal back then, he would have been a negative for most of his additional stay here....He went to a sub 800 OPS player....thats quite the dropoff