PDA

View Full Version : My Greatest Fear...

TornLabrum
09-02-2003, 09:56 PM
...is that tonight's loss is a preview of our offense if we make it to the playoffs.

cheeses_h_rice
09-02-2003, 10:01 PM
During chat, I mentioned that we looked an awful lot like we did in October, 2000.

However, I must say that Burkett is so bad he's hard to hit. Plus that strike zone sucked tonight.

Lip Man 1
09-02-2003, 10:17 PM
Burkett had an ERA of almost FIVE. SOMEBODY has been beating his brains out haven't they?

If the Sox play like this for the rest of the week they can forget about October, it's not like they have a four game lead.

Disgusting performance tonight. Sickening. I can only imagine what Colon is thinking.

Lip

Jurr
09-02-2003, 10:28 PM
It's not that big a deal. When you screw with a strike zone like that, you're handcuffed. You don't know what the hell to swing at, because anything can be called a strike. Swinging a round bat at a small round ball is difficult. When you have a much larger range to have to protect, it's almost impossible!
Hell, look at how great Bartolo looked! Two hits????? It was ridiculous!!! That bum isn't behind the plate tomorrow. Let's see how they look.

Lip Man 1
09-02-2003, 10:32 PM
Jurr:

With respect....stop it...JUST STOP IT.

Almost every time the Sox lose somebody comes on the board and says it was the "umpires" out to get us.

Please......the ups didn't strand seven men tonight, four in scoring position.

Remember the Sox struggled badly Sunday against another goofball pitcher until the 8th. They got four in the 9th keyed by a pick off error.

In other words we haven't been exactly "mashing" the ball the past few days have we?

This is the absolutely worst time to even think that they'd be going back into a slump but it could be happening.

You said...it's no big deal....it isn't if you have a five game lead with 25 to go. They Sox don't and it is.

Lip

MisterB
09-02-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Burkett had an ERA of almost FIVE. SOMEBODY has been beating his brains out haven't they?

If the Sox play like this for the rest of the week they can forget about October, it's not like they have a four game lead.

Disgusting performance tonight. Sickening. I can only imagine what Colon is thinking.

Lip

:bcolon
"I hear the Yankees have a pretty consistent offense..."

cheeses_h_rice
09-02-2003, 10:34 PM
Anyone here agree with me that maybe JM should play Tony G. tomorrow instead of Jose? Tony seems to be relatively funk-proof, and Jose has looked awful at the dish lately.

doublem23
09-02-2003, 10:50 PM
Bla bla bla...

It's a loss. Deal with it.

voodoochile
09-02-2003, 11:43 PM
I think both teams were the victim of the strike zone tonight. Colon only gave up two hits and the Red Sox aren't exactly a light weight hitting squad.

The Sox JUST MISSED 3 homeruns tonight. I mean just barely. If any of the three is fair, the game goes into extra innings, so it wasn't so much really bad as bad enough and really unlucky...

LASOXFAN
09-03-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Anyone here agree with me that maybe JM should play Tony G. tomorrow instead of Jose? Tony seems to be relatively funk-proof, and Jose has looked awful at the dish lately.

I think they should give Tony the start but NOT at the top of the order. I like the work of Alomar, Lee and Thomas. Leave it.

Has anyone else noticed that Robbie's starting to get that look? That look of someone who can smell the playoffs? Maybe I'm high, but I've watched him play so much and seen how he makes things happen...for Cleveland or Toronto. I don't know, it seems like he's turned it up a bit. While Valentin, the so-called "heart" of this team, is whiffing. What is he? 0 for 22?

LASOXFAN
09-03-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
...is that tonight's loss is a preview of our offense if we make it to the playoffs.

As long as the pitching is also a preview, I'll take it. Look how far the yankees got in 2001 hitting closer to .200 than .300 in the playoffs.

SoxxoS
09-03-2003, 12:52 AM

Lip

Easy Lip, it's one game. Take a deep breath, relax, and realize you are watching baseball. The furthest thing from an exact science.

inta
09-03-2003, 02:20 AM
it's just one game, and this is HARDLY a loss that i feel embarassed about.
and why start with the "this is a sign of our offense in the playoffs" type posts?
couldnt the same be said about last week in NY?

pudge
09-03-2003, 02:43 AM
The one problem I see is that we're all homers and no manufactured runs. So on a night when three homers hook foul, we lose 2-1 instead of winning 4-2.

We just have to live with it, because it hasn't changed with this team in three years. We suck at small ball. We love grounding into rally-killing double plays.

Tomorrow is a true test.

steff
09-03-2003, 07:36 AM

Ahhh.. Today Hal, you make some sense :D:

soxtalker
09-03-2003, 07:51 AM
I'm very concerned for all the reasons others have stated. The one positive note that I can take away is that we are now being subjected to real play-off intensity baseball. Burkett may have had an ERA of over 5, but he's moved his game up a notch, as the Red Sox need victories to stay in the race. I'd rather not see a repeat of 2000, so we might as well figure out how to win those sorts of games now.

Procol Harum
09-03-2003, 08:52 AM
We should take some consolation in the fact that Birkett is the consumate junkball pitcher--exactly the type of pitcher who traditionally has given this team fits. The near-miss foul ball homers were just another indication of how he was screwing up the Sox' timing as they were getting around too soon on the beachballs he was floating up there.

ssang
09-03-2003, 09:22 AM
Uh, I'd say I'm more worried about JUST MAKING THE DAMN PLAYOFFS!! Let's get there first before we start bitching and moaning about how we're gonna score in the playoffs. Right now I'm still convinced the Twins will win the division and we will not.

Soxboyrob
09-03-2003, 09:45 AM

Hal, let's just GET to the playoffs!
Then we can start losing sleep about our chances in the playoffs. Right now, I'm losing sleep worrying that the Twins will run the table and win their final 9 games in a row.

A.T. Money
09-03-2003, 10:22 AM
Burkett had a great cutter working last night. It was looking about as good as Loaiza's. It was just floating away from the righty and jamming Everett and Valentin. He also threw a couple of good change ups, and his curve was sick.

We watched too many fastballs right down the middle and chased the junk. We were just beat. End of story.

fquaye149
09-03-2003, 12:51 PM
Jurr:

With respect....stop it...JUST STOP IT.

Almost every time the Sox lose somebody comes on the board and says it was the "umpires" out to get us.

Please......the ups didn't strand seven men tonight, four in scoring position.

Remember the Sox struggled badly Sunday against another goofball pitcher until the 8th. They got four in the 9th keyed by a pick off error.

In other words we haven't been exactly "mashing" the ball the past few days have we?

This is the absolutely worst time to even think that they'd be going back into a slump but it could be happening.

You said...it's no big deal....it isn't if you have a five game lead with 25 to go. They Sox don't and it is.

Lip

to me it didn't seem like he was saying that the ump was out to get us, just the strike zone made it hard for both teams to get hits, which seemed to be true

Jurr
09-03-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I think both teams were the victim of the strike zone tonight. Colon only gave up two hits and the Red Sox aren't exactly a light weight hitting squad.

The Sox JUST MISSED 3 homeruns tonight. I mean just barely. If any of the three is fair, the game goes into extra innings, so it wasn't so much really bad as bad enough and really unlucky...

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!! You're going to tell me that the Boston f****** RED SOX are going to get two hits all night???????? Against Bartolo!?!?!?! He is by no means that dominant. People need to open their eyes and quit being Chicken Little all the time. The sky is definitely not falling. Now, if the Sox come out and get shut out tonight, we may be on to something. But, by no means do you judge a situation by this one game.
And, about the Cornejo thing.....6 runs in a game is 6 runs in a game. I don't care what inning they come in. That's called offensive output.

gosox41
09-03-2003, 01:52 PM

I agree. This team lives and dies by the HR. If they don't hit them out, they have great difficulty manufacturing runs.

Weren't the Sox like 0-10 batting with RISP last night?

Bob