09-02-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

(POTY)konerko 1b

Wasn't he just player of the week?

MRKARNO
09-02-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
Wasn't he just player of the week?

Now it's fixed, but boy, that's embarrassing.

Hondo
09-02-2003, 07:08 PM
hey all. I'm a new member here.
Let's kick some butt tonight.
I have MlB.com but for some reason I can't get the sox radio feed only Boston's. So if missing anything of importance or extremely entertaining from Farmer or Rooney let me know

Daver
09-02-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Hondo
hey all. I'm a new member here.
Let's kick some butt tonight.
I have MlB.com but for some reason I can't get the sox radio feed only Boston's. So if missing anything of importance or extremely entertaining from Farmer or Rooney let me know

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

Hondo
09-02-2003, 07:14 PM
Thanks! :)

Let's get to the BoSox bullpen early tonight

FJA
09-02-2003, 07:14 PM
KC 2-0, Bottom 1 ... Cy Valdes is on the mound for Texas, while Cy Abbott hits the bump for the Royals.

Ugh ... that's an ugly pitching matchup.

0-0 Minn., Ana. ... Top 1

Hondo
09-02-2003, 07:21 PM
Let's go Carl. One Time

FJA
09-02-2003, 07:37 PM
Nice play, Carl.

3-0 Minn., Top 3

2-0 KC, Bottom 2

Hondo
09-02-2003, 07:40 PM
It sounds like Boston has quite the contingent at the cell tonight.

So Mueller leads the league in BA and bats 7th?

Does anyone know if Valentin is signed through next year or will he be a free agent?

Daver
09-02-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Hondo

Does anyone know if Valentin is signed through next year or will he be a free agent?

The Sox hold a five million dollar option on him for next season.

adsit
09-02-2003, 07:50 PM
Burkett's pitches look like they're crossing the plate at 40 mph... and he's pitching everyone inside (just ask Big Frank). Let's see if our guys can figure him out their second time thru.

Hondo
09-02-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by adsit
Burkett's pitches look like they're crossing the plate at 40 mph... and he's pitching everyone inside (just ask Big Frank). Let's see if our guys can figure him out their second time thru.

Detroit insisted on pitching Frank inside and he made them regret it.

FJA
09-02-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by adsit

Hope so ... we're not getting much help from Texas and Anaheim ...

9-1 Twins, Bottom 3

3-0 Royals, Bottom 3

Unregistered
09-02-2003, 08:11 PM
Not quite sure what the "strategy" is tonight, but this "swing away" crap isn't working. Next time a runner is in scoring position with 0 outs, let's just TRY to get the runner to third by sacrificing. If it doesn't work, blame me.

Hondo
09-02-2003, 08:18 PM
The White Sox can play small ball. They've done so well this year. Not to be a Manuel hater, even though I am, they really do win IN SPITE of him.

FJA
09-02-2003, 08:19 PM
Pending ...

:corpseball

FJA
09-02-2003, 08:21 PM
In Texas, Paul Abbott has a no-hitter going through four. The catch?

He's already walked five and thrown 80 pitches.

Unregistered
09-02-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by FJA
Pending ...

:corpseball Well, we were wrong the last time we declared Corpse Ball (Sunday vs. Detroit), hopefully we're wrong again...

Unregistered
09-02-2003, 08:24 PM
Holy Crap, 1000 posts.
What do I win? :D:

FJA
09-02-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Holy Crap, 1000 posts.

Hopefully your 1000th post coming true. :D:

Daver
09-02-2003, 08:29 PM
Holy Crap, 1000 posts.

Congratulations,you get to clean the fryer!!!!!!!

:)

Unregistered
09-02-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by FJA
Hopefully your 1000th post coming true. :D: In that case, I should have gone for a World Series win in that post...

FJA
09-02-2003, 08:34 PM
I hate watching this team when they have one run through five and they're still swinging for the fences.

Unregistered
09-02-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Congratulations,you get to clean the fryer!!!!!!!
Small price to pay for beating the system and remaining unregistered! [evil laugh]

rmusacch
09-02-2003, 08:37 PM
Why is the grass patch from the pitcher's mound to home a little shade of green than the rest?

Unregistered
09-02-2003, 08:41 PM
Dammit. Colon is actually pitching well (as opposed to Burkett who is pitching lucky). Hopefully we can scrape up some runs for him...

rmusacch
09-02-2003, 08:41 PM
There must be some scrubs fans there tonight on half price night. After Kapler's home run, they were yelling toss it back.

Daver
09-02-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
Why is the grass patch from the pitcher's mound to home a little shade of green than the rest?

More than likely they had to replace the sod because of the two days worth of rain we had here in Chicago.

kempsted
09-02-2003, 08:44 PM
For what it is worth - Burkett threw 94 pitches in his 5 innings. Lets get him. Go SOX

Unregistered
09-02-2003, 08:52 PM
Texas just came back to take a 4-3 lead...

FJA
09-02-2003, 08:55 PM
Does anyone know how many ground ball outs we have tonight? I don't think it's many. I'm sick of popups.

Unregistered
09-02-2003, 08:56 PM
Come on, guys... get a little clutch. 0 for 7 with runners in scoring position tonight. Is it officially Corpseball yet?

kempsted
09-02-2003, 08:56 PM
We have had a lot more opps to score tonight than on Sunday. But we are not getting them across the plate. Ugg. :(:

FJA
09-02-2003, 08:57 PM
Come on, guys... get a little clutch. 0 for 7 with runners in scoring position tonight. Is it officially Corpseball yet?

I like to officially call corpseball in the 5th, but I gave it an extra inning tonight in light of a strong pitching performance from Colon.

That being said, it's officially ...

:corpseball

Unregistered
09-02-2003, 09:10 PM
OK, here we go. Once again, runner on 2nd, 0 outs.

Will we:

A. Sac him to 3rd, and tie it on a sac fly

B. Swing away and fly out to shallow left/pop out

or

C. Sac him to 3rd, and strike out with 1 out

Acid
All we need is a long fly ball here and we might be accused of playing fundamental baseball. Maybe.

Unregistered
Come on A...

Unregistered
09-02-2003, 09:12 PM
Heh, from the Boston feed:
"Alomeh is a vehry good buntah, so waughtch out for thet..."

FJA
09-02-2003, 09:16 PM
Wow. This is corpseball of the mid-May variety.

balboner
09-02-2003, 09:17 PM
For once, i would like to see Manuel actually manage this team. A squeeze play w/Alomar at the bat would have been a good idea, as well as sending Alomar in order to stay out of the double play. Williamson has a very slow delivery, but Robbie was just staying there at first. FIRE JERRY MANUEL!

Unregistered
09-02-2003, 09:18 PM
ARGH! Meanwhile, Texas leads 8-3...

FJA
09-02-2003, 09:20 PM
ARGH! Meanwhile, Texas leads 8-3...

Yeah, but Minnesota, a team much more freightening IMO, is up 12-4. I really would like to keep them at two games distance, if at all possible.

kempsted
09-02-2003, 09:22 PM
Well they keep getting the opps they just need to get someone home. Looks like at best they will pull another Sunday

MetalliSox
09-02-2003, 09:24 PM
Give Burkett credit, ump was giving him 4 inches off the plate and used it.

MetalliSox
09-02-2003, 09:36 PM
It sickens me as to how good Colon pitched tonight. He made two mistakes and paid but for the most part cruised all night.

Wasting an awesome outing tonight. Still have the bottom of 9.

Get Williamson out of there.

FJA
09-02-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip
It sickens me as to how good Colon pitched tonight. He made two mistakes and paid but for the most part cruised all night.

Wasting an awesome outing tonight. Still have the bottom of 9.

Get Williamson out of there.

No kidding ... these guys better find a way to get Bartolo the W, or at least the ND.

FJA
09-02-2003, 09:42 PM
Why can't we get a damn ball inside the foul post?!?

FJA
09-02-2003, 09:45 PM
Jose, getting on base for Crede would be fine. Please stop just swinging for the fences.

Jurr
09-02-2003, 09:49 PM
At least BC had a good night. I can't believe they squandered that damn opportunity in the 7th.

cheeses_h_rice
09-02-2003, 09:50 PM
God, I hope we don't look back at this game as "the one that got away" at the end of the year. All those men on base. All those near-home runs. And a 2-hit CG loss by Bartolo on top of it against the best offensive team in the AL.

CRAP.

duke of dorwood
The ONLY team Kapler has ever hit against while in Detroit, Texas and now Boston is us.

Hondo
At least they got done with this game early so they could go join Manny at the bars.
Who knew Burkett and that vaunted Boston are that good?

Maybe we should start Cotts tomorrow to shake things up.

I'm gonna drink 1 or 8 beers and forget this happened

Jurr
09-02-2003, 09:51 PM
Usually, thank God, when the Sox get screwed by an ump, they come back the next game pissed off and mash.

Viva Magglio
09-02-2003, 09:53 PM
That loss was absolutely inexcusable. Bartolo Colon has every right to ball out his wuss batters, especially one Carlos Lee. Minnesota and Kansas City are already tailgating us on the road to October. We cannot afford stupid losses like this, in more ways than one.

MisterB
09-02-2003, 09:54 PM
The White Sox gave this one away. They wasted practically every chance they had to score. I hope to whatever deity may be listening that Manuel doesn't try tinkering tomorrow. :angry:

flo-B-flo
09-02-2003, 09:58 PM
Can't watch tonight. No WCIU out here. Thanx to all for the play by play. Don't get down or negative. Boston is pretty good an we are the best team in the central. Get em' tomorrow GO-GO SOX!

oheeoh...magglio
09-02-2003, 09:59 PM
I had to sit here and watch the game on gamecast, and i feel sick without even seeing any live action. Colon only faced 2 over the minimum, and we lose??? Playoff teams don't do that kinda ***t

WhiteSox = Life
09-02-2003, 09:59 PM
It's hard to stay positive on a frustrating night like this. However, the Sox had some very good things happen. Of course, Colon pitched very well. The Sox defense also did well. Holding down the best offensive team in the AL is quite a feat.

Unfortunately, the bad outweighs the good. The Sox need to win tomorrow. No doubt about it.

I'm not pleased, expecially with the poor executing with men on 2nd and no outs, but tomorrow's another day.

Go, Sox!

FJA
09-02-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
That loss was absolutely inexcusable. Bartolo Colon has every right to ball out his wuss batters, especially one Carlos Lee. Minnesota and Kansas City are already tailgating us on the road to October. We cannot afford stupid losses like this, in more ways than one.

I agree ... if you were to look back at a tape of this game, you'd see nearly every hitter swinging for the fences. I think one of the reasons it happened was that we were so close to getting three or four home runs, and guys wanted to get over that hump. I get the feeling in games like today that no one is around to re-focus this team when they fall off the tracks during the course of a game.

I don't think this is the kind of loss that sets us off on one or two more, but good Buehrle better show up, or a loss tomorrow might.

flo-B-flo
09-02-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by FJA
Why can't we get a damn ball inside the foul post?!? Foul post?

FJA
09-02-2003, 10:02 PM
Don't look now, folks, but Texas' lead is down to 8-7 in the ninth.

oheeoh...magglio
09-02-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
It's hard to stay positive on a frustrating night like this. However, the Sox had some very good things happen. Of course, Colon pitched very well. The Sox defense also did well. Holding down the best offensive team in the AL is quite a feat.

Unfortunately, the bad outweighs the good. The Sox need to win tomorrow. No doubt about it.

I'm not pleased, expecially with the poor executing with men on 2nd and no outs, but tomorrow's another day.

Go, Sox!

Yeah, at least there is tomorrow, and at least we didn't put up this corpseball-esque effort on national tv, so let's go get 'em tomorrow and salvage a split.

FJA
09-02-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by flo-B-flo
Foul post?

Pole, of course, is what I meant.

cheeses_h_rice
09-02-2003, 10:05 PM
KC loses 8-7.

*Exhale*.

oheeoh...magglio
09-02-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
KC loses 8-7.

*Exhale*.

Oh come on, don't tell me you didn't have faith in texas' pitching staff!! :)

cheeses_h_rice
09-02-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by oheeoh...magglio
Oh come on, don't tell me you didn't have faith in texas' pitching staff!! :)

Not particularly.

:gulp:

flo-B-flo
09-02-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by oheeoh...magglio
Oh come on, don't tell me you didn't have faith in texas' pitching staff!! :) No

Lip Man 1
09-02-2003, 10:14 PM
Brutal...absolutely BRUTAL game tonight.

You hold the highest scoring team in the league to two hits and LOSE! Unfriggin believeable!

This is as bad as that Boston game earlier in the season where they got four hits and won in extra innings because our buffoons blew four sacrifice chances.

Unfriggin beleiveable.

Before tonight I said the Sox HAVE to win six of nine on the homestand at least.....they just made it five times tougher on themselves after tonight.

And Burkett had an ERA of almost FIVE. Derek Lowe tomorrow and he's as bad on the Sox as Pedro, they can't hit him with a paddle.

Amazing, corpseball.

Lip
Lip

SoxFanDan
09-02-2003, 10:19 PM
life goes on. if the sox play like dump tomorrow, ill be concerned. I have a strange feeling this is going to be a good one for the sox. Also the twins have balfour pitcing tomorrow. Who, exactly

FJA
09-02-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

You hold the highest scoring team in the league to two hits and LOSE! Unfriggin believeable!

This is as bad as that Boston game earlier in the season where they got four hits and won in extra innings because our buffoons blew four sacrifice chances.

Unfriggin beleiveable.

Before tonight I said the Sox HAVE to win six of nine on the homestand at least.....they just made it five times tougher on themselves after tonight.

And Burkett had an ERA of almost FIVE. Derek Lowe tomorrow and he's as bad on the Sox as Pedro, they can't hit him with a paddle.

Amazing, corpseball.

Lip
Lip

Lowe's ERA on the road is almost 7. I will be very concerned if we only get two runs off of him again tomorrow (like we did last time he pitched).

kermittheefrog
09-02-2003, 10:21 PM
I dunno if this has come up because I haven't read the entire thread but why the hell was Rios pinch hitting instead of Daubach?

oheeoh...magglio
09-02-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by SoxFanDan
life goes on. if the sox play like dump tomorrow, ill be concerned. I have a strange feeling this is going to be a good one for the sox. Also the twins have balfour pitcing tomorrow. Who, exactly

LOL, didn't he used to be a goalie for the hawks?? :)

cheeses_h_rice
09-02-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I dunno if this has come up because I haven't read the entire thread but why the hell was Rios pinch hitting instead of Daubach?

Because they wanted Rios to bunt. He ended up hitting a FC that got the runner over to third, which was just as good as a bunt.

I gather Daubach must be a crap bunter.

Daver
09-02-2003, 10:27 PM

I gather Daubach must be a crap bunter.

Daubach bunts like my ass chews gum.

MisterB
09-02-2003, 10:30 PM

Thanks for that unpleasant mental image... :o:

LASOXFAN
09-03-2003, 12:10 AM

that's beautiful!

anewman35
09-03-2003, 08:05 AM

Amazing, corpseball.

Lip
Lip

Can't you ever just chalk up a game to a good pitcher having a good night? Does it always have to be corpseball this and Jerry Manuel that? Even good teams lose games sometimes. It happens. A game like this can go either way, and this time, it wasn't our way. No reason to rant and rave over it.

maurice
09-03-2003, 10:53 AM
Because they wanted Rios to bunt. . . . I gather Daubach must be a crap bunter.

This would make sense, except that Rios was pinch hitting for Olivo. Rios has consistently proven that he can't bunt, while Olivo gets a decent one down once in a while. At least Rios got the runner over.

My guess is that JM missed Rios while he was gone, and wants him to get into as many games as possible. (shudder) Look for JM favorite Miles to get at least one start at 2B, irrespective of the standings.

:angry:

A.T. Money
09-03-2003, 11:10 AM
Burkett had a great cutter and an outstanding hook last night. I admit that we were a bit homer happy, but still.

Lip, did you even watch the game?

Lip Man 1
09-03-2003, 11:13 AM
I watched as much as possible i.e. I listened to it through MLB audio (I get the Sox feeds) saw the highlights on WGN, NESN and SportsCenter.

Umpire or no umpire you've got to make the plays when needed. Read the newspaper accounts today....all have a common theme. The Sox blew chances.

By the way I wasn't the only one to use the term corpseball. Go back over this thread. Why don't you start singling those folks out as well?

This was a garbage effort against a pitcher with an ERA of almost five. When you allow two runs to a top team YOU WIN THE FRIGGIN' GAME!

The Sox have no room to "tip their hats to the opposition." You have a five game lead...fine, then do that...until then WIN THE DAMN GAME.

Stop the excuses....the umpires, the opposing pitcher etc. The Sox supposedly have all this talent, then show it. Especially now

Lip

A.T. Money
09-03-2003, 11:19 AM
I watched as much as possible i.e. I listened to it throught MLB audio (I get the Sox feeds) saw the highlights on WGN, NESN and SportsCenter.

Umpire or no umpire you've got to make the plays when needed. Read the newspaper accounts today....all have a common theme. The Sox blew chances.

Lip

They blew chances yes, but that pitcher was dealing. He threw junk all day and the Sox were popping them up. He did a good job, and his cutter was awesome.

I'm not blaming an umpire, I'm saying the pitcher did his job.

A.T. Money
09-03-2003, 11:35 AM
By the way I wasn't the only one to use the term corpseball. Go back over this thread. Why don't you start singling those folks out as well?

I'm questioning you because you are the most negative poster on this board. I read what others write out of frustration. Even what I type is out of frustration. You seem to find negativity in every game. You act as if you want the Sox to fail, just so you can sit back with an evil laugh and say, "Hah, I told you so!" The act is tired Lip, and I think people are getting bored with it. Try rooting FOR the team for change, you may live longer to see them win.

This was a garbage effort against a pitcher with an ERA of almost five. When you allow two runs to a top team YOU WIN THE FRIGGIN' GAME!

It wasn't a garbage effort. You didn't even watch the game dude. Colon's ERA has been high as well, and take a good look at his record. Maybe the same can be said for him.

The Sox have no room to "tip their hats to the opposition." You have a five game lead...fine, then do that...until then WIN THE DAMN GAME.

What does your division lead have to do with anything? So you can tip your cap to opposition if you're up 5 games, but not 2? What kind of point is that? Do you expect the Sox to go 162-0? I'm not sure what you're thinking man. Last time I checked, the Red Sox were a pretty good team. This is also the second time they lost a game to Burkett. Maybe they just don't match up well with him. Ever think of that?

Stop the excuses....the umpires, the opposing pitcher etc. The Sox supposedly have all this talent, then show it. Especially now

Lip

There are no excuses. They lost the damn game, and lost it to a pitcher that was making the right pitches at the right time. A big basehit would have been all the White Sox needed last night, but he made the right pitches when it mattered most. I get as pissed as the next guy about these types of things, and I know we can't afford to lose games now. But for someone like you, that didn't even SEE corpseball, let alone call it corpseball, is laughable.

LuvSox
09-03-2003, 12:36 PM
Interesting bit of trivia from the game.......It seems that the Bosox Millar is the nephew of our very own White Sox legend Mr. Wayne Nordhagen.