PDA

View Full Version : One problem with having a lot of youngsters.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-26-2001, 10:28 PM
Now that we have a lot of great talent that needs playing time, we can't seem to get a line-up that looks the same from one day to the next.

I realize that this is partially Manuel's fault & mostly royce's fault, but I thought I'd throw out another reason why we have no consistency on this team.

doublem23
08-26-2001, 10:31 PM
Too many players for too few positions is always a playing time problem.

That said, baseball logic says, play your best 9 pretty reuglarly with a break now and then.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-26-2001, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Too many players for too few positions is always a playing time problem.

That said, baseball logic says, play your best 9 pretty reuglarly with a break now and then.

Yeah, but this is Jerry Manuel we're talking about here. When did he ever do anything logical anyway??

delben91
08-26-2001, 11:06 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority here, in fact I probably am, but it seems to me that for the team to do so well last year, Jerry had to do something right. Maybe not a lot, and maybe it was that the players made it so easy that any manager could've compiled a great record. But I think some of it, just a teensy bit, must have been Manuel.

Iguana775
08-27-2001, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND
Now that we have a lot of great talent that needs playing time, we can't seem to get a line-up that looks the same from one day to the next.

I realize that this is partially Manuel's fault & mostly royce's fault, but I thought I'd throw out another reason why we have no consistency on this team.

the first thing JM could do is put :rowand in CF for the rest of the year.

doublem23
08-27-2001, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by delben91
Maybe I'm in the minority here, in fact I probably am, but it seems to me that for the team to do so well last year, Jerry had to do something right. Maybe not a lot, and maybe it was that the players made it so easy that any manager could've compiled a great record. But I think some of it, just a teensy bit, must have been Manuel.

Last year was fine. But I don't know what's going on in Jerry's head this year. The fact that we don't have a set lineup. I blame Royce Clayton, for breathing and Kenny Williams for pressuring Manuel to make him play.

I really hope Jerry isn't a baseball version of Dave Wannstedt. You know, a guy who can win when he's surrounded by talent, but totally inept once a few things go wrong...

Daver
08-27-2001, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

I really hope Jerry isn't a baseball version of Dave Wannstedt. You know, a guy who can win when he's surrounded by talent, but totally inept once a few things go wrong...

The fact that the Sox are at .500 right now aside from all the injuries is because of Jerry,not despite him.
But then again what the hell do I know.

KVinc
08-27-2001, 10:13 PM
hello thank you daver, you give this team to Don Baylor and yes even bobby cox this team would not be .500 or in competition.

Even joe torre wouldnt get this team this far. Bobby Cox, Baylor, Torre could probably help us more in the playoffs because they are all pretty good strategist. Jerry Manuel did not have a good playoff series at all but give him a break it was his first ever when he was actually in control of everything. I think jerry can become a great manager in the reg. season and post season if he gets the chance again

Daver
08-27-2001, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by KVinc
[BI think jerry can become a great manager in the reg. season and post season if he gets the chance again [/B]

Jerry will get the chance again,I just don't know if the labor situation will allow it to be next year.
But then again what the hell do I know?

KVinc
08-27-2001, 10:53 PM
nothing Minnesota fans know nothing, Warren Sapp will destroy you hahahaha. cant wait to hear Keyshawn get more yards that Moss this year, also the vikes former QB brad johnson go in the reg. season and sweep the season series.

I love it, Daunte Cullpepper will die after getting sacked 17 times. Mark your calender september 30th the day vikings will crawl into obsurity.

Rest In Peace

Robert Smith and Vikings Super Bowl Chances.

1993-2000

doublem23
08-27-2001, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by daver
The fact that the Sox are at .500 right now aside from all the injuries is because of Jerry,not despite him.
But then again what the hell do I know.

Tis true.

ma-gaga
08-28-2001, 09:22 AM
nothing Minnesota fans know nothing, Warren Sapp will destroy you hahahaha. cant wait to hear Keyshawn get more yards that Moss this year, also the vikes former QB brad johnson go in the reg. season and sweep the season series.

I love it, Daunte Cullpepper will die after getting sacked 17 times. Mark your calender september 30th the day vikings will crawl into obsurity.

Rest In Peace

Robert Smith and Vikings Super Bowl Chances.

1993-2000

where did this come from?

Iguana775
08-28-2001, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga

where did this come from?

my thoughts exactally. lol

Dadawg_77
08-28-2001, 10:35 AM
hello thank you daver, you give this team to Don Baylor and yes even bobby cox this team would not be .500 or in competition.

Even joe torre wouldnt get this team this far. Bobby Cox, Baylor, Torre could probably help us more in the playoffs because they are all pretty good strategist. J

I'm not sure if Jerry is the great manager for strategy, but he did learn his craft form one of the masters. What Jerry does very well is getting his player to believe in a cause, a mission. he gets his guys to play, now if he could get Royce to hit. Jerry is like Jackson in this way, that is what Phill didn't worry so much about strategy with the Bulls and Lakers but more so on the player themselves.

Torre is great at this to, plus he seems to be better at strategy then Jerry. So I think Torre could get the Sox to where they are now. Im not sure how Cox is, but it seems Baylor does a good job of this to, but has no grip on strategy. What I would like to see is for the Sox to add Jerry's old master, Alou as another bench coach, if he doesn't take a managers job somewhere. Hey then you could trade Lee and bring in his son, well that for another thread.