PDA

View Full Version : 9/11 date on pocket schedule


kingpin_rcs
09-02-2003, 01:38 PM
Have you noticed that on the pocket schedule the "11" is missing for the September 11 game vs Min? Do you think this is a wierd coincidence or something done on purpose?

MarqSox
09-02-2003, 01:40 PM
Whoa ... that is kinda bizarre. I'd never noticed that before.

LuvSox
09-02-2003, 01:43 PM
Who was at the first game after 9/11? (The 18th, I think) What an emotional night. I was in the bleachers, people were crying their eyes out during the pre-game. Gene Honda was obviously moved, his voice quivering at times. I'll never forget it. I have, however, forgotten the outcome of the game :D:

FanOf14
09-02-2003, 01:46 PM
That was pre-cohabitation days for me and I was running an errand for my bf and tried to set my VCR - I found out the hard way the timer doesn't work on my VCR. I had it on the radio and I was bawling my eyes out on RT. 83. I got home in the 2nd or 3rd inning and called my mom and her voice still had a shake in it.

MetalliSox
09-02-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
I have, however, forgotten the outcome of the game :D:

That was a very well umpired game.

Iwritecode
09-02-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Who was at the first game after 9/11? (The 18th, I think) What an emotional night. I was in the bleachers, people were crying their eyes out during the pre-game. Gene Honda was obviously moved, his voice quivering at times. I'll never forget it. I have, however, forgotten the outcome of the game :D:

I wasn't able to get to that one but I was at the first sCrUBS home game after 9/11. That one was on the 27th. I got to see the Sox beat the Twins earlier that day, then drive 8 miles north to watch the Cubs lose to Houston.

Luckily I was headed towards the bathrooms when Shammy hit a homerun and carried his little american flag around the bases with him...

voodoochile
09-02-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I wasn't able to get to that one but I was at the first sCrUBS home game after 9/11. That one was on the 27th. I got to see the Sox beat the Twins earlier that day, then drive 8 miles north to watch the Cubs lose to Houston.

Luckily I was headed towards the bathrooms when Shammy hit a homerun and carried his little american flag around the bases with him...

I did that same DH that day. I was in my seat when he pulled out the flag while running to first. I just looked at my flubbie fan buddy who I went to both games with and laughed. He shook his head and sighed.

CubKiller
09-02-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Who was at the first game after 9/11?

I was there...they handed out flags at the door...the national anthem was great (then radio jackasses, I think Boers & Bernstien made fun of the lady) and everyone was chanting 'USA'.

But then the Yanks bombed the Sox. Ray Durham went crazy after an ump ejected him. If I remember right, he sprinted back on the field from the dugout. Not 100% sure on all the details so I won't try and guess. I do remember that the call that went against the Sox erased what coulda been the start of a big inning.

MarqSox
09-02-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by CubKiller
I was there...they handed out flags at the door...the national anthem was great (then radio jackasses, I think Boers & Bernstien made fun of the lady) and everyone was chanting 'USA'.

But then the Yanks bombed the Sox. Ray Durham went crazy after an ump ejected him. If I remember right, he sprinted back on the field from the dugout. Not 100% sure on all the details so I won't try and guess. I do remember that the call that went against the Sox erased what coulda been the start of a big inning.
That's the only Sox game I can think of where the action on the field was genuinely irrelevant.

alohafri
09-02-2003, 03:57 PM
. I was in my seat when he pulled out the flag while running to first.


From what I remember, he was HANDED that flag--he didn't have it on him

Iwritecode
09-02-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by alohafri
. I was in my seat when he pulled out the flag while running to first.


From what I remember, he was HANDED that flag--he didn't have it on him

That's also what I thought I saw when I watched the highlights. I thought the first base coach had it and handed it to him as he rounded first.

I wasn't exactly sure though so I didn't say anything...

Dadawg_77
09-02-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
That's also what I thought I saw when I watched the highlights. I thought the first base coach had it and handed it to him as he rounded first.

I wasn't exactly sure though so I didn't say anything...

If the first base coach had the flag on him, it was a plant by Sosa.

ewokpelts
09-02-2003, 04:26 PM
it's a misprint.......the earlier sched(without the $1 hot dog icons)...has the date printed...and the later sched(with sox logo...not asg logo)has it as well.....so dont think it's 9/11 related
Gene

p.s. the date's also on the magnet sched

MetalliSox
09-02-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by kingpin_rcs
Have you noticed that on the pocket schedule the "11" is missing for the September 11 game vs Min? Do you think this is a wierd coincidence or something done on purpose?

This just in, Al Qaeda has taken credit for the misprint.

WhiteSox = Life
09-02-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
That's also what I thought I saw when I watched the highlights. I thought the first base coach had it and handed it to him as he rounded first.

I wasn't exactly sure though so I didn't say anything...

Actually, Sham-Me* was already several feet past first base when he was called back by the first base coach and handed the flag.

That Sammy. What a patriot.

Viva Magglio
09-02-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
Actually, Sham-Me* was already several feet past first base when he was called back by the first base coach and handed the flag.

That Sammy. What a patriot.

That is why he is such an egotistical phony. I will never comprehend why so many people, Cub fans and non-Cub fans alike, fall for his crap. This is a guy that corked his bat for God knows how long before he got caught. And while it has not been proven, this is a guy that has been accused of using anabolic steroids by several sources. This is a guy that acts like a big hot dog on the field with his hops and his stupid HR trot around the bases. This is a guy that irritates his teammates with the loud music in the clubhouse, giving an indication of how much a team player he really is. I could go on, but I won't. And I'm not going to get on him for the rum bottle because it was over a decade ago, and there have not been any similar incidents since to the best of our knowledge.

My point here is that this guy with so many character flaws gets all the accolades while our own right fielder gets slighted. Compared to their right fielder, our right fielder is a saint. Our own right fielder buys baseball equipment for poor kids from his country. Our own right fielder is truly appreciative of his fans and his teammates. Our own right fielder engages in no hot dog antics and just does his job.

Damn those who think Sosa is a "baseball god." Maggs is my guy.

WhiteSox = Life
09-02-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Damn those who think Sosa is a "baseball god." Maggs is my guy.

Absolutely, positively true.

cheeses_h_rice
09-02-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
That is why he is such an egotistical phony. I will never comprehend why so many people, Cub fans and non-Cub fans alike, fall for his crap. This is a guy that corked his bat for God knows how long before he got caught. And while it has not been proven, this is a guy that has been accused of using anabolic steroids by several sources. This is a guy that acts like a big hot dog on the field with his hops and his stupid HR trot around the bases. This is a guy that irritates his teammates with the loud music in the clubhouse, giving an indication of how much a team player he really is. I could go on, but I won't. And I'm not going to get on him for the rum bottle because it was over a decade ago, and there have not been any similar incidents since to the best of our knowledge.

My point here is that this guy with so many character flaws gets all the accolades while our own right fielder gets slighted. Compared to their right fielder, our right fielder is a saint. Our own right fielder buys baseball equipment for poor kids from his country. Our own right fielder is truly appreciative of his fans and his teammates. Our own right fielder engages in no hot dog antics and just does his job.

Damn those who think Sosa is a "baseball god." Maggs is my guy.

I like this quote from Sham-ME* about why he didn't play game 2 of the double-header today (even though many of his teammates did):

``After you play 15 innings, I don't think you have any energy left. But that was a big one for the team. We played so hard to be where we are.''


Translation: I got my zinger, what more do you want?

oheeoh...magglio
09-02-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

Damn those who think Sosa is a "baseball god." Maggs is my guy.

Preach it man!! :)