PDA

View Full Version : umps vs. MIT?

charlie browned
08-26-2001, 09:50 PM
there was a brief discussion the other day about replacing umps with cameras and sensors...you have to admit that the computerized strike zone is the logical end result of Sandy Alderson's first attempts this year with the umpires to standardize the strike zone....well, thanks to MIT's Center for Sports Innovation, it may happen someday...

Finding the Strike Zone

An older pastime has not escaped the attention of Blair and his crew. This project involves designing an automated strike zone for baseball. One approach includes posting high-speed cameras at the correct angles to identify balls and strikes.

Another approach uses light beams that are broken by the baseball as it crosses home plate. Since strike zones vary according to each player's height, that information would have to be added to the program in advance.

Blair acknowledges that improvements such as these may not always be considered improvements. "There's always the risk of upsetting the way a game is played when you make technological changes," he says. "Baseball is a very traditional game. A few years ago, someone at MIT developed a dimpled baseball bat, just like the dimpled golf ball. The dimpled surface reduced the aeronautic drag on the bat so you could swing it faster than the standard bat. The inventor took it to the major leagues, and they said, 'No.'"

MIT Sports Innovation Center (http://www.riverdeep.net/teaching_the_news/news_2000/march/front.270300.mit.jhtml)

MIT Center for Sports Innovation slide (http://web.mit.edu/aeroastro/www/labs/csi/sld006.htm)

CSI main web page (http://web.mit.edu/aeroastro/www/labs/csi/index.htm)

KempersRS
08-26-2001, 09:54 PM
If a system was used to tell strikes, from balls, people would learn quickly how small the plate is. There is already too much scoring in baseball, this would just make more. There are so many pitches that are off the plate, but if thats where the catcher is set up, the ump is going to give the pitcher the call. The idea is pretty stupid if you ask me, it would really take a lot of personality away from the game.

Paulwny
08-26-2001, 09:59 PM
Who the hell would Bowa and Pinella argue with?

FarWestChicago
08-26-2001, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Who the hell would Bowa and Pinella argue with?

I would love to see Lou ripping a computer out of some setup and tossing it across the infield. It would be a thing of beauty!

Daver
08-26-2001, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago

I would love to see Lou ripping a computer out of some setup and tossing it across the infield. It would be a thing of beauty!

It would be better if he used an axe on it.

Iguana775
08-27-2001, 12:05 AM
i think it would ruin the integrity of the game. this game is played with humans and it should stay that way. having umps is part of the game. they may suck at it a times but that is baseballs fault for not properly teaching the umps how to call a game.

KVinc
08-28-2001, 02:09 PM
i believe this a good solution, i mean as a student of the school we heard about this but i really didnt pay attention too busy in Geforce 3 utopia.

Dadawg_77
08-28-2001, 02:42 PM
Computers for umps for take a lot of fun out of the games. If we do that why not make it robot wars baseball. How many bad calls are still talked about years after they happen? Everyone remeber Hugh Hollins cost the bulls the championship, or Don "Magic" ohhellinotevengoingtrytospellit threw the pass after going over line of scrimange(sp?), the phantom tag. These are all moments that make being a sports fan what it is. Take away the human element, you'll be taking alot away from the game.

El Train
08-28-2001, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
why not make it robot wars baseball.
I'LL SAY IT...BASEWARS!!! LOL that game was crazy. Robot baseball at its finest.