PDA

View Full Version : Cubs playoff policy

doogiec
09-02-2003, 01:22 PM
I just saw a playoff invoice/letter from the Cubs to season ticket holders.

Amazingly, they have found another way to screw their fans.

The Cubs will not refund money to the season ticket holders if the Cubs fail to reach the postseason. They will only apply it to next year's season ticket purchase. The White Sox offer refunds, of course.

Therefore, all the Cub fans who were promised post season tickets by buying this year's season seats are now effectively being forced to renew for next year also to get those seats.

And the Cubs are actually better off if the team fails to reach the playoffs, with a guaranteed 100% renewal rate.

The season ticket holder called the Cubs to complain. He was told that "most people didn't even cash the refund checks in previous years", hence this policy, which is obviously insane.

The White Sox better not attempt this in future years.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-02-2003, 01:32 PM
I suggest not confusing what the Cubs do with anything even remotely related to Chicago baseball. The Flubbie season ticketholders have more in common with those holding season passes to the Lyric Opera than they do with a baseball operation.

It's ticket scarcity, folks... plain and simple. The Flubs are in the entertainment business. You think this has ANYTHING to do with Chicago baseball? Think again. Read what their director of marketing had to say in today's Cubune.

Root for the Lyric Opera before you root for the Flubs. Rooting for those *******s is HURTING Chicago baseball, not helping it. They want to sell more "entertainment," got it?

You have to HATE Chicago baseball to root for the Cubs. Get a clue. It's entertainment, babe. Sheesh...

cheeses_h_rice
09-02-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by doogiec

The Cubs will not refund money to the season ticket holders if the Cubs fail to reach the postseason. They will only apply it to next year's season ticket purchase. The White Sox offer refunds, of course.

Therefore, all the Cub fans who were promised post season tickets by buying this year's season seats are now effectively being forced to renew for next year also to get those seats.

And the Cubs are actually better off if the team fails to reach the playoffs, with a guaranteed 100% renewal rate.

The season ticket holder called the Cubs to complain. He was told that "most people didn't even cash the refund checks in previous years", hence this policy, which is obviously insane.

Are you joking about this? That is A. MAY. ZING. if it's true.

The Flubs' actions surely have to be illegal, right? You can't collect money for an event that might not happen and then refuse to refund the money if they fail to make the playoffs.

Or maybe you can on the North Side of town.

Yet more reason to hope the Flubbies crash & burn, leaving their fans even more pissed off than they will otherwise be.

Can't say it better than this:

:thankgod

mandmandm
09-02-2003, 02:05 PM
That is a chapter taken straight from old man Wirtz's book.

voodoochile
09-02-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Are you joking about this? That is A. MAY. ZING. if it's true.

The Flubs' actions surely have to be illegal, right? You can't collect money for an event that might not happen and then refuse to refund the money if they fail to make the playoffs.

Or maybe you can on the North Side of town.

Yet more reason to hope the Flubbies crash & burn, leaving their fans even more pissed off than they will otherwise be.

Can't say it better than this:

:thankgod

I thought you had to offer a choice. The Bears used to allow people to put any unused post-season ticket money toward the next seasons tickets (way back when they used to occasionally make it to the playoffs), but you could opt for a refund if you wanted to. I would think the flubbies are on the edge of a legal issue if not over the line.

I refuse to believe that almost no one cashed refund checks for hundreds of dollars. Sounds like a scam to me...

MisterB
09-02-2003, 02:09 PM
Anybody who buys a season ticket plan based on the Cubs getting to the postseason is a fool, and should be parted from their money.

alohafri
09-02-2003, 02:36 PM
The Sox are offering season ticket holders the option of applying any potential unused playoff tix as credit towards their season tix for next year. Or we can get our money back (except for the $20 delivery charge).

I think the playoffs are pretty much dictated by MLB and I find it hard to believe that scrub fans can't get their $$ back should the scrubs not make it to the playoffs or go far into the games. I don't see how they can keep the money if the fans elect not to renew their season tix.

(mrs. Aloha)

gosox41
09-02-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by doogiec

Sounds like a dumb policy to me. I don't know too many people who wouldn't cash a refund check, especially one for a few hundred dollars.

But give the Cubs credit. They continually screw over their customers and they keep coming back for more. I hope they at least get kissed by Tribune Co.
:D:

Bob

kempsted
09-02-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by alohafri
The Sox are offering season ticket holders the option of applying any potential unused playoff tix as credit towards their season tix for next year. Or we can get our money back (except for the $20 delivery charge).

I think the playoffs are pretty much dictated by MLB and I find it hard to believe that scrub fans can't get their $$ back should the scrubs not make it to the playoffs or go far into the games. I don't see how they can keep the money if the fans elect not to renew their season tix.

(mrs. Aloha)
Yeah and they are offering you a special allstar picture of some kind if you check off - apply to next year. That is the way to do it if you want to thank your fans for supporting you.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-02-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
Anybody who buys a season ticket plan based on the Cubs getting to the postseason is a fool, and should be parted from their money.

Well said. The Cubune knows they have the lowest I.Q. of any sports franchise's fanbase. Who can blame them for taking advantage of the situation? :smile:

:santo
"Good news, Cubs fans. The Cubs have announced they will have everything they need to field a champion team just as soon as all Cubs fans empty their savings accounts and send it all into the Tribune Company. Hey Pat, can you repeat that mailing address for all our fans listening out there..."