PDA

View Full Version : where the Sox/Cub fans are

CubKiller
09-02-2003, 12:03 PM
These quotes are from HOSE 's 'Josh Paul' thread. I thought maybe they merit a new thread.

MRKARNO: "While the north side is in general cub territory and the south side is generally sox territory, I bet you'd find a lot of sox fans on the north side of town/north suburbs and a lot, but maybe not as many, cub fans on the south side"

PUDGE: "Woo hoo, I grew up in Northbrook... I'm a Sox fan BECAUSE there were so many obnoxious Cub fans around the north shore... I wonder if what a previous poster said is true, that you can find a lot of Sox fans up north, but hardly any Cub fans down south? Would be interested to know if that's true."

I'm not sure if MRKARNO was referring to the Southside as in the neighborhood, Chicago south of Madison, or all of South Chicagoland -- and it's not worth arguing what should be called what, because that could go on forever.

So regardless...

I grew up in Dolton, IL (14 years), live in Lansing, IL (14 years) and work in Chicago's Near North neighborhood (10 yrs). For those who don't know, Dolton and Lansing start at or near 138th and 170th, respectively.

Sadly, for as far back as I can remember, the Sox fans have been seemingly outnumbered by Cub fans. Anywhere I've been except Comiskey. Not sure, but maybe it's just because I take more notice of blue/red enemy apparel (bumper stickers, flags, etc) when I see it.

I'll also add this. Although I despise the vast majority of all Cub fans, I have extra hatred for Cub fans who were born and reside on the Southside and/or anywhere near where I'm from. It's those Cub fans that truly make my blood boil. I am curious to know if anyone else is the same way...

LuvSox
09-02-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by CubKiller
Although I despise the vast majority of all Cub fans, I have extra hatred for Cub fans who were born and reside on the Southside and/or anywhere near where I'm from. It's those Cub fans that truly make my blood boil. I am curious to know if anyone else is the same way...

I feel your pain. Many, many people have moved over here to NW Indiana from Chicago and the south suburbs. I have no idea how "natural south siders' can become Cubbie "fans." My family ended up here after stops on the south side, Cal City and Lansing. My dad was a season ticket holder in the late 60's/ early 70's. It's in your blood, there is no stopping it. I'm baffled at the Cubbie "fans."

rmusacch
09-02-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by CubKiller
These quotes are from HOSE 's 'Josh Paul' thread. I thought maybe they merit a new thread.

I'm not sure if MRKARNO was referring to the Southside as in the neighborhood, Chicago south of Madison, or all of South Chicagoland -- and it's not worth arguing what should be called what, because that could go on forever.

So regardless...

I grew up in Dolton, IL (14 years), live in Lansing, IL (14 years) and work in Chicago's Near North neighborhood (10 yrs). For those who don't know, Dolton and Lansing start at or near 138th and 170th, respectively.

Sadly, for as far back as I can remember, the Sox fans have been seemingly outnumbered by Cub fans. Anywhere I've been except Comiskey. Not sure, but maybe it's just because I take more notice of blue/red enemy apparel (bumper stickers, flags, etc) when I see it.

I'll also add this. Although I despise the vast majority of all Cub fans, I have extra hatred for Cub fans who were born and reside on the Southside and/or anywhere near where I'm from. It's those Cub fans that truly make my blood boil. I am curious to know if anyone else is the same way...

My grandparents lived in Dolton on University until about 4 or 5 years ago.

alohafri
09-02-2003, 12:38 PM
What's also bad is all the scrubbie fans in the southwest burbs like in SW DuPage County, where we live. Many of the people who live in the Darien area are originally from the SW side of Chicago. You'd think it would be full of Sox fans. NOT! The ratio is probably 2-1 in favor of the scrubs. Not good.

(Mrs. Aloha)

FanOf14
09-02-2003, 12:49 PM
I am originally from the SW side of Chicago (63rd and Fairfield for the 1st 16 yrs of life, than at 60th and Pulaski for the next 8 yrs). After college I moved to Woodridge and a year ago I moved back to the city to the Mount Greenwood area. I never realized how many scrubs fans are there (Mt. Greenwood area) until I moved in. I cured one of that illness (my bf no longer roots for them, but I have yet to get him to be a full time Sox fan), but I still have much work to do. :D:

MetalliSox
09-02-2003, 12:55 PM
I live up north near Great America and it is Cub fan city. People always ask me how I am a Sox fan living on the north side. Pisses me off.

pudge
09-02-2003, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the thread. Sound like there are plenty of Cub fans in the south, unfortunately. I guess it's just all spread now. I know a lot of people who grew up in the north like I did and are big Sox fans. Go figure.

CubKiller
09-02-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
I feel your pain...It's in your blood, there is no stopping it. I'm baffled at the Cubbie "fans."

You said it. At times, I've tried to ignore them (Cub fans on South side) and/or not let em get to me, but I just can't help it.

Even in 95-96 after the strike when I didn't follow baseball...my Cub/Cub fan hatred didn't even begin to drop off.

As far as NW Indiana...I've noticed Cub fans seem to dominate there too...Highland, Munster, Scherrville, etc.

There oughta be a law...seriously...NO Cub fans on Southside (Sox fans on Northside okay though)...

doublem23
09-02-2003, 02:18 PM
Pfft! You don't know Sox Fan Hell until you've had to reside on the Northwest Side of the city. You can't throw a rock without hitting an obnoxious, moronic Cub fan.

Oy... Peoria isn't too much better... All 45% Cub fans, 45% Cardinal fans, 10% Sox/other fans. Life is hard. :(:

DSpivack
09-02-2003, 02:40 PM
Growing up in Evanston, many of my friends were fans of the Flubs. There were a good number of us Sox fans, though, which was great to see.
I was not always a Sox fan, I must admit. I was brainwashed as a youth into rooting for the dark side, until I went to a certain White Sox game in the fall of 1993. I was 9 years old, and it was Game 6 against the Blue Jays. I was converted.
Sure, they lost, but a full Comiskey, a booming HR from the Big Hurt, and more turned me to side of the right, all the way from Evanston to the South Side.
As for whom you root for, sure, it is ingrained from where you grow up, but it can be so much more. It is who you are, and what feels right to you. It is finding the right fit for you. And I found it.
Sadly I can not go to any more games this year as I going to college in Georgia- where they have the best team in baseball- but Michael Vick's injury and Georgia football is bigger news. Now that's sad.
This thread just made me realize how great of a sports town Chicago truly is. The Bears opening up a new stadium, especially considering they still are in many ways Chicago's team, should be bigger news. But an unprecedented Chicago baseball season is big news.
Sure, I'd rather have my second-favorite Cardinals in the playoffs than the Flubs. But, all I concern myself right now is the White Sox. What the Flubs do is inconsequential- North Side, South Side, or the Suburbs.

maurice
09-02-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
You can't throw a rock without hitting an obnoxious, moronic Cub fan.

Well, if you need to throw a rock, you might as well hit a scrubs fan in the process.

LuvSox
09-02-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
You can't throw a rock without hitting an obnoxious, moronic Cub fan.

I'd like to give it a shot :D: ( Easy Grobstein, I'm only joking)

kempsted
09-02-2003, 03:37 PM
I live in the Northwest corner of Chicago proper - West Rodgers park as it is called by locals. Most of the people are Cubs fans but you do find plenty of Sox fans walking around, myself included of course.

Actually my 7 year old (he was 6 at the time) at summer camp was talking about the Sox and a Cubs fan was giving him a hard time and called him "a disgrace to the northside" because he rooted for the Sox. My son just said "Cubs suck, Go SOX" and walked away :D: A friend of mine said he should have told the kid .."No,,, disgrace to the north side - you are confusing me with the Chicago Cubs."

adsit
09-02-2003, 03:38 PM
Grew up on Logan Blvd off Milwaukee Ave, Eastwood off Kedzie, and Springfield between Irving Park and Montrose. I am definitely a North Sider, with a big extended family full of Cub fans (or, closer to the point, North Siders who "identify" with the Cubs, but don't go to games, can't name players and etc.).

How did I become a Sox fan? Though the odds would seem overwhelmingly against me, it was easy. I didn't care about pro baseball at all as a young kid. While I regret that now, at least it kept all that Cub crap from having any influence.

The 1977 Sox season sparked my interest in MLB... winning seasons played by players with personality, a boisterous fan base, a fun stadium and the media's attention will do that for you. They've been trying my patience ever since, but I've stayed on.

Right now, I guess I'm a far, far East Side Sox fan. I still live right off the "Ryan"... 898 miles away from U.S. Cellular Field.

DSpivack
09-02-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by kempsted
I live in the Northwest corner of Chicago proper - West Rodgers park as it is called by locals.

West Rogers Park, eh? When not at school I live in Evanston, but just two blocks north of howard at California.

Max Power
09-02-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
Growing up in Evanston, many of my friends were fans of the Flubs. There were a good number of us Sox fans, though, which was great to see.
I was not always a Sox fan, I must admit. I was brainwashed as a youth into rooting for the dark side, until I went to a certain White Sox game in the fall of 1993. I was 9 years old, and it was Game 6 against the Blue Jays. I was converted.

My story is the same as yours, except "my moment of conversion" came at a game in 1990.
Interestingly, I have a summer job in Highland Park and work with/see people from that area and there are a ton of Sox fans. You'd think that'd be a Cubs stronghold. Maybe my sample size is too small.

Tom in Boston
09-05-2003, 10:58 PM
Mine's pretty similar as well - I grew up in Deerfield/Highland Park and quickly learned to associate the Flubs with the yuppified, elitist, frat-boy *******s (VC EDIT: Please don't try to circumvent the language filters) that worship them. I also come from a family of Flubs fans in which one member of each generation becomes an outspoken Sox fan (beginning with my great-uncle, who lived next door to the Comiskeys themselves) - so why not me?

I still have no explanation for my Flub-fan college roommate, an otherwise intelligent and worldly guy from Palos Park who hates the garbage-tossing, cell-phone-addicted Wrigleyville demographic as much as any of us does.

OEO Magglio
09-06-2003, 12:08 AM
I live up north near Great America and it is Cub fan city. People always ask me how I am a Sox fan living on the north side. Pisses me off.
Well since we go to school in pretty much the same area, I'm sure your school is infected with a lot of flubbie fans also, everyone who goes to my school pretty much is flubbie fan, while on the other hand there are about 3 people who really care about the sox, all who post on these boards.

chisoxfanatic
09-06-2003, 12:27 AM
Sadly, there is not one single person other than myself in my entire family (extended included) who remotely resembles a sports-minded person. Everyone else is into the arts (opera, theater, ballet, and other BORING stuff). I kinda picked up on my love for the Blackhawks, Bears, Sox, and Bulls all on my own...

I grew up in Bolingbrook, which is just 30 minutes away from Comiskey Park. If you look in my yearbooks, literally 75% of the pictures with people wearing baseball attire were those of people wearing Sox gear! I didn't have to worry about too many Cub fans growing up! Bolingbrook is a town (well, more than a 'town' now that we have 64,000 residents) that is clearly dominated by Sox fans.

The day after Frank Thomas' first major league game (8/10/90), I saw his picture in the paper and thought it looked cool. I'm 21 2/3 right now, but was 8 2/3 at that time. I wanted to investigate exactly what that picture was all about, so I checked out a game on TV all by myself. I was amazed at everything and grew to raise myself on White Sox baseball. I was forced to watch every game on my own, since nobody else in the family thought it was anything worthwhile watching. It's great to have a car to be able to go to games though.

A positive note: My 13-year-old sister is REALLY picking up on loving the Sox! She's not afraid to say "Cubs Suck!" She really likes Frank Thomas and Magglio Ordonez. Though she hasn't picked up on the Hawks, Bears, or Bulls much yet, at least I've succeeded in passing on SOX love to her!

OEO Magglio
09-06-2003, 12:29 AM
A positive note: My 13-year-old sister is REALLY picking up on loving the Sox! She's not afraid to say "Cubs Suck!" She really likes Frank Thomas and Magglio Ordonez. Though she hasn't picked up on the Hawks, Bears, or Bulls much yet, at least I've succeeded in passing on SOX love to her!
Well Done!!!!!!

Bisco Stu
09-06-2003, 02:22 AM
I grew up on the North Side, Touhy and Harlem at first, then Peterson & Western for 15 years. Except for SIU, lived on the Nort Side for 23 years. Never lived on the Sout Side. Never a Cubs fan.

NORTH SIDE SOX TROOPERS!!!

Greg1983
09-06-2003, 08:39 AM
I know what you mean about South-Side Cub fans. It's irritating because they ought to know better.

I read a book a couple of summers ago called "The South Side" that was mostly about the "white flight" and disintegration of the South Side's ethnic, working-class neighborhoods in the late 60's and early 70's. It was a really good, really readable book. It was more a collection of personal accounts from families, not some sociologist or economist spewing academic drivel.

Anyway, the one thing that upset me was a guy reminiscing about a time Ernie Banks came to the neighborhood...don't remember exactly where he lived, but it wasn't far from Bridgeport. And all the kids gathered around to see the great Ernie Banks.

I don't hate the Cubs so much that I can't admit that Ernie Banks was a great player, and apparently a nice guy. But that should have been Aparicio or Nellie Fox or SOMEONE from the freakin' Sox.

Greg1983

GoSox2K3
09-06-2003, 12:18 PM
I grew up in Des Plaines and just about everyone was a Cub fan there. I think I only remember meeting one other Sox fan in high school. My parents don't follow baseball, so I can't say that I came from a family of Cub fans or Sox fans.

I remember deciding to be a Sox fan when I was 7 yrs old when a friend explained to me that the Cubs always lose but everyone still loves them. I thought to myself that that was SO STUPID! So, I decided to place my allegiance with the Sox. I really started following them during that great '77 season.