PDA

View Full Version : Call ups

rmusacch
09-02-2003, 11:53 AM
Now that Charlotte's season is over, does anyone have any word on the additional callups besides Burke that we will see called up from there?

DrCrawdad
09-02-2003, 05:01 PM
Any word on who was called up?

Mammoo
09-02-2003, 05:09 PM
Sox announce roster moves

September 2, 2003, 4:15 PM CDT

The White Sox recalled four players Tuesday from Triple-A Charlotte and also announced that reliever Billy Koch completed his rehabilitation assignment.

Pitchers Jon Adkins and Jose Paniagua, infielder Aaron Miles and outfielder Armando Rios were called up and pitcher Mike Porzio was designated for assignment.

Koch allowed five hits and walked three in 3 2/3 innings in four games at Charlotte.

Paul Konerko has been named the American League Player of the Week. It marks the second straight week a Sox player has won the award. Frank Thomas shared the honor with Oakland's Miguel Tejada last week.
Copyright 2003, ChicagoSports.com

Mammoo
09-02-2003, 05:13 PM
Scouting Report

Hitting, Baserunning & Defense:

Rios was able to generate surprising power from his small body in past seasons. But he was rendered a singles hitter in 2002 because of his knee. He tends to get pull-happy and can be jammed. Rios' speed and defense are average. While his ordinary range is more suited to a corner outfield spot, he has played some center field. His arm strength is just average after reconstructive elbow surgery in 2000, though his throws are accurate. Rios never has proven he can play regularly and is injury prone.

Why recall him? We cut him after the Alomar/Everett deals and nobody thought well enough of him to take a flyer. Oh well, who am I to question KW after the job he's done :smile: :gulp:

rmusacch
09-02-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo

The White Sox recalled four players Tuesday from Triple-A Charlotte and also announced that reliever Billy Koch completed his rehabilitation assignment.

Pitchers Jon Adkins and Jose Paniagua, infielder Aaron Miles and outfielder Armando Rios were called up and pitcher Mike Porzio was designated for assignment.

Koch allowed five hits and walked three in 3 2/3 innings in four games at Charlotte.

Paul Konerko has been named the American League Player of the Week. It marks the second straight week a Sox player has won the award. Frank Thomas shared the honor with Oakland's Miguel Tejada last week.

So does that mean that Koch has been reinstated from the DL?

gogosoxgogo
09-02-2003, 06:10 PM
Good, the more people, the better. With more bench players, we can use situations like pinch running, defensive replacements, and lefty-righty mathups to our advantage. I'm surprised Borchard was not called up. If nothing else, he would have been a great defensive replacement and could have been used as a runner on the base paths as well.

With all of these call ups, I hope that when the game is out of reach (whether we're winning or losing), we can put in some of these players in place of the regulars to give them the rest they'll need for the playoffs. I also want to see some of those pitchers going in blow out games so we don't waste our pitcher's arms. I also think that we can take our starters out a little ealier than normal if the game seems to be pretty safe now. We need to rest our players for the playoffs... let's just rest them in the right spots.-

rmusacch
09-02-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo

By my calculations, this gives us 41 men on the 40 man roster, since Aaron MIles, Armando Rios and Paniagua were not on the 40 man before and we stood at 39. Hmmm.

Daver
09-02-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
By my calculations, this gives us 41 men on the 40 man roster, since Aaron MIles, Armando Rios and Paniagua were not on the 40 man before and we stood at 39. Hmmm.

Mike Porzio was on the 40 man roster,and he was designated for assignment.

rmusacch
09-02-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Mike Porzio was on the 40 man roster,and he was designated for assignment.

Yes I understand that but we purchased the contracts of three players, removed one player from the 40 man after starting at 39. Unless my math is wrong, which I don't think it is, that puts us at 41.

MisterB
09-02-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
Yes I understand that but we purchased the contracts of three players, removed one player from the 40 man after starting at 39. Unless my math is wrong, which I don't think it is, that puts us at 41.

The Sox roster was at 39 before these moves were made. It is now at 40. Porzio was removed and Paniagua and Miles were added. Rios, since he accepted the assignment to AAA was already on the 40-man roster.

MHOUSE
09-02-2003, 08:22 PM
Rios is an obvious call-up, but probably won't seem much PT. I hope Miles can show he's better than wee Willie. Glad to have Burke back, I like him. I'd rather have Paniagua and Porzio than Adkins. Hopefully Bread & Water can eat some innings to rest our top guys and Adkins can stay out of trouble. Porzio is old and nothing special, but I still liked the guy. Sad to see him go. Hope he finds work.

duke of dorwood
09-02-2003, 08:23 PM
Maybe Borchard needs some time away-anyway I like the call ups.

:jerry

40? give me 50

rmusacch
09-02-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
The Sox roster was at 39 before these moves were made. It is now at 40. Porzio was removed and Paniagua and Miles were added. Rios, since he accepted the assignment to AAA was already on the 40-man roster.

Rios was not on the 40 man that is what I do not get. When he was designated for assignment, he was removed from the 40 man and then accepted an assignment of his contract to AAA. Oh well, nothing to worry over.