PDA

View Full Version : Considering all that has happened this year so far...

oheeoh...magglio
09-01-2003, 06:27 PM
Including our for the most part pathetic play up until the first cub series, all the problems with our idiot manager, all of the struggles of our offense early in the season and our bullpen througout the season, and many others things I can't think of off the top of my head, at this point I have no complaints with where the sox are at. If you had told me in march that the sox would start their first game in the month of september with a 2 game lead in the division, I would have taken that in a second. Although the Sox are a flawed team, they are also a good team and in primed position for the stretch run and hopefully a playoff run, and I can't complain about that at all.

soxwon
09-01-2003, 07:55 PM
i personally think this REALLY IS OUR YEAR and im talkin WORLD SERIES, atleast make it there.
I feel a magic with this team and the YANKEES, SEATTLE AND BOSOX are not that great.
i was in Detroit and i was moved by our fans.
i see us only gaining more ground and by the time the last KC series we have a 4 or 5 game lead.
just my thoughts but i feel the magic!!!
da reverand

jabrch
09-01-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by oheeoh...magglio
Including our for the most part pathetic play up until the first cub series, all the problems with our idiot manager, all of the struggles of our offense early in the season and our bullpen througout the season, and many others things I can't think of off the top of my head, at this point I have no complaints with where the sox are at. If you had told me in march that the sox would start their first game in the month of september with a 2 game lead in the division, I would have taken that in a second. Although the Sox are a flawed team, they are also a good team and in primed position for the stretch run and hopefully a playoff run, and I can't complain about that at all.

I totally Disagree...If you told me in March that we would not be RUNNING AWAY WITH this division, I'd think you were nuts. Minnesota should be 10 games behind us and KC should be 20 out. KC played amazing. Pena should be, hands down, the manager of the year. We lost too many games to Tampa, Detroit, Cleve and Texas, the worst teams in the AL. We hit like garbage the first half. In the spring, I thought this team was a lock and would be resting our pitchers at this point in the season.

Now, if you would have told me, on July 17th, that we would be 2 games up when September starts, I'd have been thrilled. But at the beginning of the season, I expected more than this from this club.

oheeoh...magglio
09-01-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
I totally Disagree...If you told me in March that we would not be RUNNING AWAY WITH this division, I'd think you were nuts. Minnesota should be 10 games behind us and KC should be 20 out. KC played amazing. Pena should be, hands down, the manager of the year. We lost too many games to Tampa, Detroit, Cleve and Texas, the worst teams in the AL. We hit like garbage the first half. In the spring, I thought this team was a lock and would be resting our pitchers at this point in the season.

Now, if you would have told me, on July 17th, that we would be 2 games up when September starts, I'd have been thrilled. But at the beginning of the season, I expected more than this from this club.

Well I agree with some of your points, but honestly, did you think it would be that easy? It's rare these days that a team just runs away with the division. I mean kansas city has played some great ball this year, and they have that "team of destiny" thing going which in my opinion, is the only reason they are still in the race. But the point i was making is that with the sox, considering how things started at least we are STILL IN THE RACE, not to mention we are not only in the race, but in first place.

I mean, as poorly as we hit earlier this year, our starting pitching has been far and away better than i expected. Honestly, who on earth would have predicted ESTEBAN LOAIZA, a 30 something journeyman, woud have 18 WINS GOING INTO AUGUST AND BE A CY YOUNG CANDIDATE who could win more than 20 games this year. Many sox fans (including me) were really curious who would do ne thing as a starter for us after buehrle and colon. We were very fortunate obviously to get loaiza as a spring training invite for basically nothing.

And also, the point i was REALLY making was, if i had told you before the season our offense would sleepwalk through the first 2 and a half months of the season and buehrle would start 2-10, wouldn't you be happy recovering to the point where the sox are in first place all alone by 2 games heading into september?

tacosalbarojas
09-01-2003, 09:55 PM
Well, it's definitely a strange mix...a mix we wouldn't have expected in March. I think my hopes were to be about 5-7 games up on Minny at this point. The Royals couldn't have been a factor in anyone's mind.

Other unexpecteds:

1) R. Alomar and Everett: who would have thought that even after our very mediocre first half that KW would go out and add veterans, tested ones at that, to the current mix we have. Plus, Schoeneweis and Sullivan, all the veterans we added make us much more of a veteran team comprised mostly of players (n=17) who have played in the postseason before.

2) Loaiza as you mention winning 18. Unfortunatlely, also unexpected was a .500 effort from Colon, a sub-.500 effort from Buehrle and nothing out of 14 game winner Danny Wright. Garland's .500 is what he has been giving us all along, so I guess we're getting what we have been there, though I think most are waiting on him to deliver on that Matt Karchner size potential.

3) Konerko delivering only 15 HR's and Frank giving us a 2000-type effort with the long ball.

4) Billy Koch melting down and giving us zilch, but having Gordon and Marte step up and capably fill the closer hole.

Not what we drew up on paper, and of course Pena is the manager of the year, but at this point I think we'll all take what we can get. Fate is in our own hands with alll the games with KC and Minny. If we don't win it, we will look no further than the man in the mirror. Guys like Konerko, Colon and Buehrle who have underachieved to some degree will have plenty of opportunity to reedem themselves this month. Go do it, boys.

pudge
09-02-2003, 01:57 AM

I mean, as poorly as we hit earlier this year, our starting pitching has been far and away better than i expected. Honestly, who on earth would have predicted ESTEBAN LOAIZA, a 30 something journeyman, woud have 18 WINS GOING INTO AUGUST AND BE A CY YOUNG CANDIDATE who could win more than 20 games this year. Many sox fans (including me) were really curious who would do ne thing as a starter for us after buehrle and colon. We were very fortunate obviously to get loaiza as a spring training invite for basically nothing.

The problem here is that I think most of us thought Dan Wright would build upon his 14 wins of last year and Jon Garland would grow faster, plus Buehrle wouldn't lose his first 12 and Colon would be well above .500.

So factoring all that, if you told me in March we'd be 2 games up on September 1, I would have said, "Smells like 1996, and that ain't a good smell."

Then again, I'm amazed that we're 2 up based on where we were in mid-July.

Shoeless Joe
09-02-2003, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by soxwon
i personally think this REALLY IS OUR YEAR and im talkin WORLD SERIES, atleast make it there.
I feel a magic with this team and the YANKEES, SEATTLE AND BOSOX are not that great.
i was in Detroit and i was moved by our fans.
i see us only gaining more ground and by the time the last KC series we have a 4 or 5 game lead.
just my thoughts but i feel the magic!!!
da reverand

I agree, in 2000 I think most Sox fans didn't expect a World Series out of the team. But there was still the mystique or something magical about the team coming into the playoffs. When they lost, sure everyone was disappointed but the truth is we never had a real championship caliber team.

I, along with many other people thought this year was going to be a laugher for the Sox. But I certainly wasn't laughing in early June. After a much delayed winning spurt I'm finally seeing a team that I taught was going to be a World Series contender. This year I'm expecting nothing less than World Series because they finally do have a championship caliber team.

gosox41
09-02-2003, 02:50 PM

Back in April I figured the Sox to win 93 games this season. I'm kind of disappointed the way the first half went, but am feeling more optimistic now.

Bob