PDA

View Full Version : KC newspaper views

soxtalker
09-01-2003, 10:48 AM
A couple of interesting articles from KC newspaper regarding their game yesterday

www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/6666227.htm (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/6666227.htm)

and the upcoming schedule

www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/baseball/mlb/kansas_city_royals/6668704.htm (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/baseball/mlb/kansas_city_royals/6668704.htm)

From the latter article:

"It's going to be a tough one," Jeremy Affeldt said. "Obviously, with us in the pennant race, our schedule has turned a little more trying than Chicago's probably has."

Interesting that someone on one of the other teams would look at our schedule -- which has generally been deemed to be the toughest, being against teams with better records -- and think that theirs is more difficult.

MRKARNO
09-01-2003, 11:16 AM
The royals have only one off day this month and had to play games on their last 21 days, even before the anaheim game was tacked on at the end.

Even though we have to play teams like Boston and NYY, we've had great success against MInny and KC both there and here when we saw them both last, so I'm personally not all too worried about them because we need to beat them to win anyways. Boston and New York coming here doesnt scare me either because the sox always play well at home and against teams above .500, a combination which should allow for a favorable white sox record in those games. Cleveland scares me a bit because they're below .500, but being at home should invigorate the sox. Going into Boston is what scares me most where the red sox play great at home and we play terrible on the road. I think our schedule is actually favorable considering that we play so well against the good teams

voodoochile
09-01-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
The royals have only one off day this month and had to play games on their last 21 days, even before the anaheim game was tacked on at the end.

Question about the CBA. I thought it was against the CBA to force the players to play more than 21 days in a row. Will they have to take an off day before they play that game?

Daver
09-01-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Question about the CBA. I thought it was against the CBA to force the players to play more than 21 days in a row. Will they have to take an off day before they play that game?

They can play that many consecutive games if they are making up rainouts,it states in the CBA that they will play the number of games needed to end the season in a timely manner.

MarqSox
09-01-2003, 11:36 AM
Anyone else disappointed that the Angels/Royals rainout may mean we have to wait an extra day after the season to clinch?

Actually, that might be kinda cool ... if we're 1/2 game up the day after the season ends, the Sox could open up The Cell and put the Royals game on the jumbotron. I doubt they'd do it, but it could be a pretty cool atmosphere.

Jurr
09-01-2003, 11:40 AM
About the 21 day thing..I don't think it's against the rules. The Phillies are in the midst of a 27 straight day stretch of the schedule. Talk about nasty!

soxtalker
09-01-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Anyone else disappointed that the Angels/Royals rainout may mean we have to wait an extra day after the season to clinch?

Actually, that might be kinda cool ... if we're 1/2 game up the day after the season ends, the Sox could open up The Cell and put the Royals game on the jumbotron. I doubt they'd do it, but it could be a pretty cool atmosphere.

There was a discussion of this on another thread, but the articles above add another perspective. I don't think that I'd envy a Royals team having to play the Angels on the last day of the season -- certainly not for a tie and probably not for an outright win. However, if they were really dragging after yesterday's first game, it might have been good to see them play the second. Of course, they got to sit around for 2-1/2 hours anyway.

A.T. Money
09-01-2003, 12:35 PM
Remember, this isn't a 2-team race. We have to worry about Minnesota, and their easy schedule.

Dadawg_77
09-01-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Jurr
About the 21 day thing..I don't think it's against the rules. The Phillies are in the midst of a 27 straight day stretch of the schedule. Talk about nasty!

It is but there are exceptions to the rule, like make up dates mention above. The players also can waive the rules by a majority vote.

Tragg
09-01-2003, 12:47 PM
Any way you slice it, we have to go a minimum of 5-2 against each of the royals and twins, barring a collapse by one of them.

OEO Magglio
09-01-2003, 04:27 PM
It is but there are exceptions to the rule, like make up dates mention above. The players also can waive the rules by a majority vote.
Yup, Philli had a make up game with Boston today.