PDA

View Full Version : Josh Paul

hose
09-01-2003, 10:22 AM
Recalled and will be at Wrigley wearing a cub uniform today.

hose
09-01-2003, 10:32 AM
I'll probably catch grief for this , but I would really like to see Josh do good.

He is from Buffalo Grove, a die hard life long Sox fan and a first class guy.

GO GET 'EM JOSH

rmusacch
09-01-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by hose
I'll probably catch grief for this , but I would really like to see Josh do good.

GO GET 'EM JOSH

I question whether he is really a die hard life long Sox fan, considering he is from Buffalo Grove, right in the middle of Cubs territory.

MarqSox
09-01-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by rmusacch
I question whether he is really a die hard life long Sox fan, considering he is from Buffalo Grove, right in the middle of Cubs territory.
I don't question it at all ... ever hear him talk about the Sox (before the got cut, anyway)? I wish him well, but the thought of a Sox diehard in a Cubs jersey makes me sick.

HawkDJ
09-01-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by rmusacch

There a few people here from Buffalo Grove, including me, so there are Sox fans here believe it or not.

dickallen15
09-01-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I don't question it at all ... ever hear him talk about the Sox (before the got cut, anyway)? I wish him well, but the thought of a Sox diehard in a Cubs jersey makes me sick.

Funny thing is, he chose to be a free agent. If he would have decided to stay with the Sox and had gone to Charlotte, he would have completed the minor league season, which he did at Iowa, and would have been called up to the big club, just as he was with the Cubs. I'm sure there's other factors involved, but if he was truly a die hard Sox fan, you would think he would have stayed here.

Steve Bartman
09-01-2003, 11:18 AM

GO GET 'EM JOSH

Josh Paul grew up in Evanston. He has his residence now though in Buffalo Grove. The fact that he was a sox fan growing up in Evanston is all the more surprising.

anewman35
09-01-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by dickallen15
Funny thing is, he chose to be a free agent. If he would have decided to stay with the Sox and had gone to Charlotte, he would have completed the minor league season, which he did at Iowa, and would have been called up to the big club, just as he was with the Cubs. I'm sure there's other factors involved, but if he was truly a die hard Sox fan, you would think he would have stayed here.

Well, after the way he'd been up and down for years, can you really blame him for leaving?

Oh, and I'm another diehard Sox fan from Buffalo Grove. So we do exist.

soxtalker
09-01-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
Well, after the way he'd been up and down for years, can you really blame him for leaving?

Yes, he must have seen that his days with the Sox were numbered. Olivo was clearly going to be the catcher of the future, and there's plenty of competition for the back-up spot.

hose
09-01-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Cubsloseagain911
Josh Paul grew up in Evanston. He has his residence now though in Buffalo Grove. The fact that he was a sox fan growing up in Evanston is all the more surprising.

Josh went to Buffalo Grove High School.

My buddy is a high school umpire and recalls some of Josh's games.

Paul's younger brother was drafted by the Sox but I'm not sure if he signed or not.

SoxFanDan
09-01-2003, 11:35 AM
im from deerfield, and im a sox fan.

i know of many sox fans in bg

MRKARNO
09-01-2003, 11:50 AM
While the north side is in general cub territory and the south side is generally sox territory, I bet you'd find a lot of sox fans on the north side of town/north suburbs and a lot, but maybe not as many, cub fans on the south side

SoxFanDan
09-01-2003, 11:55 AM
here is an example of the good amount of sox fans on the north side.

After driving home from both of the first two game against the cubs at the cell, i had my white sox flag on my car. Though receiving many boos, i had hundreds of people in the north shore(milwaukee ave.) honking and waving their sox hat out the windows

gogosoxgogo
09-01-2003, 12:10 PM
I'm from Deerfield, and there are plenty of die hard Sox fans here on the north side. All of my good friends at school are die hards (then again, that's probably why they're my good friends). We're definately outnumbered by the Cubbie blue, but we put up a good fight. Don't think that just because we live on the north side we're all induced into the cubbie crack. There's a lot more sox fans up here than you would think. I don't know how it goes vice versa, but I do know someone from the southern suburbs who's a Cubbie fan.

Steve Bartman
09-01-2003, 12:42 PM
Josh went to Buffalo Grove High School.

My buddy is a high school umpire and recalls some of Josh's games.

Paul's younger brother was drafted by the Sox but I'm not sure if he signed or not.

I see......I guess he was just born in Evanston, and soon moved to Buffalo Grove. Is everyone sure he grew up a Sox fan? Because I swore I heard once he was a Cub fan.

SoxFanDan
09-01-2003, 12:43 PM
gogosoxgoo, are you still in hs. deerfield high school, i think i may know you.

cheeses_h_rice
09-01-2003, 01:56 PM
:versatile

Just called up by the Flubbies, guys! I'm a difference maker!

DrCrawdad
09-01-2003, 03:37 PM
Expect the Cubune to have an article soon about how happy Josh is now that he's left the Sox and with the Cubs, how great the Cubs have treated him and that he was actually a Cubs fan all along.

hose
09-01-2003, 04:41 PM
I see......I guess he was just born in Evanston, and soon moved to Buffalo Grove. Is everyone sure he grew up a Sox fan? Because I swore I heard once he was a Cub fan.

I was born in Evanston also, spent all of two days there. :D:

emaholic
09-01-2003, 04:50 PM
Josh said he was a big Carlton Fisk fan growing up, which was why he had the number 27. So obviously, he grew up as a Sox fan.

hose
09-01-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Expect the Cubune to have an article soon about how happy Josh is now that he's left the Sox and with the Cubs, how great the Cubs have treated him and that he was actually a Cubs fan all along.

Come on Craw you know thats a given.

Standard Cubune operating procedures. :cool:

Lip Man 1
09-01-2003, 07:48 PM
I hope Josh does just as well for the Cubs as he did for the Sox....making errors, having passed balls, getting thrown out on the bases and looking like a goofus in left field.

I wish him nothing but the best on the North Side and hope he lives up to his very small potential.

Lip

rmusacch
09-01-2003, 07:49 PM

He graduated high school from Buffalo Grove High School in 1993 with one of my good friends.

rmusacch
09-01-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by emaholic
Josh said he was a big Carlton Fisk fan growing up, which was why he had the number 27. So obviously, he grew up as a Sox fan.

Just because he was a Fisk fan does not mean that he was a Sox fan although it seems to be true in this case.

bc2k
09-01-2003, 08:12 PM
In the Tribune after a 2003 series with the Cubs, Josh was quoted as saying that he was glad to help the Sox beat the Cubs in the game he threw out a Cubs runner attempting to steal second. That was the Nossek pitchout call. Josh said these games mean a little more to him than the rest of his teammates since he is a lifelong Sox fan. For that, he earns our respect. Good luck with your career Josh.

Daver
09-01-2003, 08:21 PM
To sum it all up.

Josh Paul,life long Chicago area resident,a Sox fan growing up,nice guy,crappy catcher.

Good luck on the north side Josh.

house215
09-01-2003, 09:48 PM
I live in Northbrook and there are plenty of Sox fans here. Obviously, we are still outnumbered but we have a good amount of loyal fans out here.

Daver
09-01-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by house215
I live in Northbrook and there are plenty of Sox fans here. Obviously, we are still outnumbered but we have a good amount of loyal fans out here.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

WinningUgly!
09-01-2003, 10:05 PM

They can just reprint their Kenny Lofton story & simply plug in Josh Paul's name in place of Lofton's.

GoSox2K3
09-01-2003, 10:56 PM
Isn't Josh the second "Paul" Sox Fan/Player to have the indignity of ending up in a Cubs uniform? Am I remembering correctly that die hard Sox fan Donn Pall eventually played for the Cubs?

StillMissOzzie
09-02-2003, 12:37 AM

Yes, he would have finished up the season in the minors, and probably have been a September call-up has he taken the trip to Charlotte instead of Des Moines, but I think he saw his future as being too limited with the Sox. With a young up-and-comer like Miguel Olivo in front of him, he was destined for 2nd or 3rd string, depending on S. Alomar's status.

:gulp:

pudge
09-02-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by house215

Woo hoo, I grew up in Northbrook... I'm a Sox fan BECAUSE there were so many obnoxious Cub fans around the north shore... I wonder if what a previous poster said is true, that you can find a lot of Sox fans up north, but hardly any Cub fans down south? Would be interested to know if that's true.

JasonC23
09-02-2003, 06:35 AM
I also graduated from BG, class of '93. And EVERYONE knew Josh was a huge Sox fan. So if the Trib tries to say he's a lifelong Cubs fan, it's a bald-face lie.

Not that that means they won't try... :smile:

thepaulbowski
09-02-2003, 07:28 AM
Recalled and will be at Wrigley wearing a cub uniform today.

My questions is....with him gone, who will do the catching clinics at Soxfest?

DrCrawdad
09-02-2003, 08:27 AM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/sp/v/mlb/players/2/6820.jpg

Name to watch

Mike Rivera, a catcher who was acquired on waivers from San Diego earlier this year, is hitting .309 with 12 homers. If Sandy Alomar Jr. retires, Rivera would become a leading candidate to back up Miguel Olivo in 2004. - CHICAGO CUBUNE. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030831soxnotes,1,7261018.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

MIKE RIVERA
CATCHER

Claimed off of waivers from the San Diego Padres on June 11th. Spent portions of the past three seasons in the major leagues with San Diego and Detroit. Was named 2001 Tigers Co-Minor League player of the year, leading Double-A Erie with 33 home runs and 101 RBI while hitting .289. Appeared in the Kevin Costner film "For Love of the Game." - CHARLOTTE KNIGHTS WEBPAGE. (http://www.charlotteknights.com/roster/rivera.htm)

hose
09-02-2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by JasonC23
I also graduated from BG, class of '93. And EVERYONE knew Josh was a huge Sox fan. So if the Trib tries to say he's a lifelong Cubs fan, it's a bald-face lie.

Josh Paul is no Tommy Zibalowski....GO IRISH

(Tommy was all everything in football at Buffalo Grove and a boxer to boot ) :cool:

Hangar18
09-02-2003, 10:03 AM
SInce the cubs Love picking up discards and have no qualms about digging thru other teams trash, TYLER HOUSTON will be a cub again shortly....

Lip Man 1
09-02-2003, 12:05 PM
Houston is the best pinch hitter in baseball this year....sounds like the Sox ought to be interested in that "trash."

Lip

rmusacch
09-02-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by JasonC23

Is your last name Crase by any chance?

LuvSox
09-02-2003, 12:36 PM

What would you do? This is his career. He can get on with being a Sox fan after he retires, or even try to be a free agent pick up before he quits the game. I wouldn't want to stay in the minors if I had a shot with another team.

hose
10-05-2003, 09:03 AM

Here is something from Paul Sullivan's article in today's Cubune:

Is it time for White Sox fans to bury the hatchet and pull for the Cubs the rest of the postseason? "It'll never happen," said catcher Josh Paul, who grew up a Sox fan and played for the Sox until being released in June and signing a minor-league contract with the Cubs. "They're going to root against us all the way. And I come from that tradition. That's just the way it is." Paul conceded his family now roots for the Cubs, but only because he's employed by the team. "My brother was reluctant to change that. A true Sox fan wouldn't do any of this kind of 'Let's just pull for the city' thing, and I don't expect anything different."

This quote should warm the heart of cheese h rice and a few others :)

TornLabrum
10-05-2003, 09:33 AM
Here is something from Paul Sullivan's article in today's Cubune:

Is it time for White Sox fans to bury the hatchet and pull for the Cubs the rest of the postseason? "It'll never happen," said catcher Josh Paul, who grew up a Sox fan and played for the Sox until being released in June and signing a minor-league contract with the Cubs. "They're going to root against us all the way. And I come from that tradition. That's just the way it is." Paul conceded his family now roots for the Cubs, but only because he's employed by the team. "My brother was reluctant to change that. A true Sox fan wouldn't do any of this kind of 'Let's just pull for the city' thing, and I don't expect anything different."

This quote should warm the heart of cheese h rice and a few others :)

Too bad we ran out of options on this guy!

jortafan
10-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Is Josh Paul actually on the Cubs roster for the playoffs? I didn't realize he'd been with the team long enough in the season to be eligible. If so, he'd be the only player part of both the 2000 Sox and '03 Cubs -- which would wind up being the highlight of his career, being the answer to a Chicago sports trivia question 30 years from now.

On a serious note, it's good to see at least one person understands the reality of the situation between Sox and Cubs fans. I did not suddenly expect Cubs fans to support the Sox during the 2000 playoffs, just because of the Chicago connection. I fully understood their apathy. It's the same feeling I have had this week. I could care less what happens to the Cubs on the playing field.

The only thing that bugs me are the geeks this week who I have heard say repeatedly that "everybody's a Cubs fan" come this year's playoffs. Just like Mike North when he appeared on Chicago Tonight's week in review program last week, telling Sox fans on the panel that "everybody's a Cubs fan, you just don't know it yet."

DrCrawdad
10-05-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
Is Josh Paul actually on the Cubs roster for the playoffs? I didn't realize he'd been with the team long enough in the season to be eligible. If so, he'd be the only player part of both the 2000 Sox and '03 Cubs -- which would wind up being the highlight of his career, being the answer to a Chicago sports trivia question 30 years from now.

On a serious note, it's good to see at least one person understands the reality of the situation between Sox and Cubs fans. I did not suddenly expect Cubs fans to support the Sox during the 2000 playoffs, just because of the Chicago connection. I fully understood their apathy. It's the same feeling I have had this week. I could care less what happens to the Cubs on the playing field.

The only thing that bugs me are the geeks this week who I have heard say repeatedly that "everybody's a Cubs fan" come this year's playoffs. Just like Mike North when he appeared on Chicago Tonight's week in review program last week, telling Sox fans on the panel that "everybody's a Cubs fan, you just don't know it yet."

Mike North is a Richard-Head and not solely because of his comments on this Cubbies/Sox stuff.

I didn't read the Josh Paul comments until I saw it here. Josh gets it. I'm surprised that there were no, "The Sox organization sucks..." comments. Although if there were I'm sure that Lip would have posted them.

As far as I know, Josh Paul is NOT on the playoff roster. Although I did see him at The Shrine as a bullpen catcher.

One other thing, don't ever fool yourself with this "root for Chicago" crap because Cubbie fans in general DID NOT root for the Sox in 1993 or 2000. Of course being the puds that many are, they blame this on Sox fans too. It usually goes like this, "Duh, I won't root for the Sox because when I was in school Sox fans kicked my ass because I was a *ussy Cubbie fan."

Cubbie fan Les Grobsten claims that he pulled for the Sox to win in 2K. But if Les pulled for the Sox why is it that he celebrated the Sox getting swept?

TornLabrum
10-05-2003, 05:41 PM
Cubbie fan Les Grobsten claims that he pulled for the Sox to win in 2K. But if Les pulled for the Sox why is it that he celebrated the Sox getting swept?

He's a masochist and likes to be wrong?

DrCrawdad
10-05-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
He's a masochist and likes to be wrong?

I'm suspect of Les' claims to have pulled for the Sox. Les rooted for the Sox about as much as I'll be rooting for the Cubbies tonight.

TornLabrum
10-05-2003, 05:53 PM
I'm suspect of Les' claims to have pulled for the Sox. Les rooted for the Sox about as much as I'll be rooting for the Cubbies tonight.

I'll be rooting for the Cute and Cuddlies tonight...to lose.

DrCrawdad
10-05-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I'll be rooting for the Cute and Cuddlies tonight...to lose.

I'm thinking about rooting for the Cubbies tonight. Have I completely lost my mind? No.

Consider that the last two companies that I've worked for, one closed and moved to Texas and the last one has virtually gone out of business. Then I rooted for the Sox, and they went down in flames. Next I pulled for the Twins. Now they've lost. I could see if my midas touch continued by rooting for the Cubbies to win.

hose
10-06-2003, 06:14 AM
I'm thinking about rooting for the Cubbies tonight. Have I completely lost my mind? No.

Consider that the last two companies that I've worked for, one closed and moved to Texas and the last one has virtually gone out of business. Then I rooted for the Sox, and they went down in flames. Next I pulled for the Twins. Now they've lost. I could see if my midas touch continued by rooting for the Cubbies to win.

ROFLOL !!!