PDA

View Full Version : Loaiza MVP?

WinningUgly!
09-01-2003, 02:39 AM
...for the Sox? Yes.

He's obviously the Cy Young favorite, at this point...
What about American League MVP?

I normally don't like pitchers winning the MVP award, but White Sox pitchers aren't normally in the running! :D:

I'd like this to be the official kick off of the Esteban Loaiza for MVP campaign.

August is now over & here's a look at some of Loaiza's numbers,
along with his AL rank...

Wins-18 (1st)
ERA-2.45 (2nd)
SO-166 (4th)
QS-23 (2nd)
WHIP-1.07 (3rd)
K/BB-3.95 (5th)
BAA-.228 (4th)

Esteban could/should have 20+ wins already. If the bats &/or bullpen bothered to show up for these 6 games Loaiza could very easily be sporting 24 wins right now...

1) 5/18 at MIN (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=230518109) - 6 IP, 1 ER, Sox lose 3-2
2) 5/24 vs. DET (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=230524104) - 7 IP, 1 ER, Sox lose 1-0
3) 6/3 at AZ (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=230603129) - 7 IP, 1 ER, Sox lose 2-1
4) 7/5 at TB (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=230705130) - 7 IP, 3 ER, Sox lose 3-2
5) 7/10 at DET (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=230710106) - 8 IP, 1 ER, Sox lose 1-0
6) 7/31 at KC (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=230731107) - 7 IP, 3 ER, Sox win 8-6 in 11 innings.
The bullpen took over & blew a 5-3 8th inning lead, but the Sox came back & won.
No decision fo E-Lo. :(:

Who is more deserving of the AL MVP Award?

VeeckAsInWreck
09-01-2003, 02:42 AM
If this man can keep up his torrid pace from now until the end of the season, and hopefully into the postseason. It will be none other than: :hurt

WinningUgly!
09-01-2003, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
If this man can keep up his torrid pace from now until the end of the season, and hopefully into the postseason. It will be none other than: :hurt

I'd love to see Big Frank pick up another MVP. You're right, if he does keep up his current pace until the end of the season, he will win it, but I'm not sure it's possible. Those are some wicked-phat numbers!

I just think E-Lo has kept this team hanging around contention all season long. He's been the one true constant that's kept the Sox from totally falling apart. The rest of the starters have been sub .500 most of the year, the bullpen (thanks Billy) blew game after game in the 1st half & the bats were all in hibernation the 1st couple months of the season. Loaiza kept the Sox in it until the team finally got their stuff together & started playing like they were expected to.

LASOXFAN
09-01-2003, 03:08 AM
I shudder to think what this team would be like without Loiza. It would be a disaster. And I'm glad you posted what he did in those losses. Wow!

But I don't think a pitcher should ever win an MVP. They don't play everyday. That's what the Cy Young is for, and you can take it to the bank that ELo's got it!

kermittheefrog
09-01-2003, 03:17 AM
If a modern pitcher was going to win an MVP it should have been Pedro Martinez in 1999. I don't see Esteban having a chance and there are plenty of positioned player candidates. I'd say the top candidates right now are Alex Rodriguez, Carlos Delgado and Bret Boone. Maybe throw in Jorge Posada.

Foulke You
09-01-2003, 03:28 AM
Esteban is certainly deserving of the Cy Young at this point and is by far the MVP of the White Sox but to be the MVP of the league I think that should go to an everyday player. It wouldn't hurt for Esteban to be considered for AL MVP though. As a previous poster said, this team would be a disaster without him. He has quietly gone in and done his job and done it well. He is the rock of this pitching staff.

Shoeless Joe
09-01-2003, 08:54 AM
September will dictate who's going to win the MVP as it has been in past years. Of course any Sox fan would want Frank to win it but there are overwhelming circumstances.

1. The Sox HAVE to win the division.
2. A-Rod doesn't continue to hit (unlikely)
3. East and West coast bias don't come into play

I think A-Rod will win it but I wouldn't be surprised if Frank makes a push at it toward the end of the year.

And as far as pitchers winning MVP awards: I simply don't agree with it. They created Cy Young awards for a reason and there's no reason Esteban Loaiza shouldn't get it.

hose
09-01-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
If a modern pitcher was going to win an MVP it should have been Pedro Martinez in 1999. I don't see Esteban having a chance and there are plenty of positioned player candidates. I'd say the top candidates right now are Alex Rodriguez, Carlos Delgado and Bret Boone. Maybe throw in Jorge Posada.

A-Rod and Delgado has NO CHANCE .

The MVP will go to a player on a contending team.

Tragg
09-01-2003, 10:30 AM
Barring an incredible year for a pitcher and an off year for all hitters, a pitcher should not be MVP, imo.

Go Frank! that would be 3 MVPs (how many you got gary carter and eddie murray, not to mention hall of fame "cinch" shamme?), which should do it for the hall of fame. MVPs equalize stats into the era that the player played.

Now, Loiza should be a lock for the Cy Young.

soxtalker
09-01-2003, 11:25 AM
There are at least 3 awards that Loiaza could be considered for: Cy Young, MVP, and Come-back Player of the Year. Maybe there are one or two more that I've missed. Question -- does the winning of one of these impact the decisions on the others. Specifically, would the people that make the choices decide that he would get Come-back player of the year, and, therefore, they could award the Cy Young to someone else?

Konerkoholic
09-01-2003, 09:28 PM
I don't think so. in 2001, Ichiro won Rookie of the Year and MVP. I think the more likely scenario would be Loaiza winning the Cy Young award and maybe someone else would get the Comeback Player of the Year award.
Also, in order for Frank to win the MVP, I think the Sox would have to win their division, and Frank would need a BA of .280 or higher with 45+ HR and 110+ RBIs. He would need another monster month.

tacosalbarojas
09-01-2003, 09:35 PM
My MVP is the immortal Gil Heredia for having such a shoddy spring training that we decided on Este for the fifth slot in the rotation. Anyone else out there think about where we would be with the likely numbers Heredia would have posted (think 6-11 4.89)?

Not only that, does anyone else remember those heady days in April when we skipped Loaiza's spot a couple of times so that Buehrle and Colon could get an extra start? That madness ended right quick.

Thunderstruck30
09-01-2003, 09:53 PM
I dont want Loaiza to win AL MVP because he is a pitcher. Pitchers shouldnt win the MVP because they dont play everyday and they have their own award. The Cy Young award is looking pretty good right now for Loaiza.

anewman35
09-01-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
There are at least 3 awards that Loiaza could be considered for: Cy Young, MVP, and Come-back Player of the Year. Maybe there are one or two more that I've missed. Question -- does the winning of one of these impact the decisions on the others. Specifically, would the people that make the choices decide that he would get Come-back player of the year, and, therefore, they could award the Cy Young to someone else?

The thing with Esteban is that he isn't really a comeback player, since that would imply he was at one point great before this and he's just coming back to that. No, this came out of nowhere. Not that I'm complaining :D:

WinningUgly!
09-01-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
The thing with Esteban is that he isn't really a comeback player, since that would imply he was at one point great before this and he's just coming back to that. No, this came out of nowhere. Not that I'm complaining :D:

This is true.

kermittheefrog
09-01-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by hose
A-Rod and Delgado has NO CHANCE .

The MVP will go to a player on a contending team.

I was talking about players deserving of the MVP award. The Internet Baseball Awards are more interesting anyway and Arod has a good shot there.

Bisco Stu
09-02-2003, 06:24 AM
This was just discussed on Mike & Mike on ESPN radio. They said they got an email (from an WSI'er, methinks?) propping ELo as a viable AL MVP candidate and they discussed the possibility.

The buzz is starting...

WinningUgly!
09-02-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
This was just discussed on Mike & Mike on ESPN radio. They said they got an email (from an WSI'er, methinks?) propping ELo as a viable AL MVP candidate and they discussed the possibility.

The buzz is starting...

I planted the seed, now I'm watching it grow... :D:

I don't think E-Lo has a serious chance at it, but he is just as deserving of the award as anybody.

shane
09-02-2003, 01:03 PM
I say no pitchers for MVP. I normally wouldn't want to see a DH get an MVP either, but in the case of Frank, he truly is an MVP this season. I don't think the guys would say we're in the post-season because E-Lo got us here, but I could hear them saying we are here because Frank stepped it up and got us going when we were down. E-Lo is having a tremendous season, but I tend to agree that he deserves the CY Young, not the MVP.