PDA

View Full Version : Slezak column on Ligue today

tacosalbarojas
08-31-2003, 10:51 PM
Did this bug anyone else as much as it did me? That this guy has the freedom to come to the park just like anyone else. Jurisprudence gone awry, "Eight Men Out" stylee. Speaking of "Eight Men Out", in the book written by Eliot Asinof, it talks about how one of the main gamblers who functioned as main conduits to the ballplayers for the fix, Abe Atell, was denied admittance to the Polo Grounds (among other ballparks, one might suspect) a year or so after the fix came out.

What would keep the SOX from denying him admitance? What are the legal issues behind an edict like that from the SOX? Aside from just the embarassment quotient, it really bugs me with the Inside Edition cameras rolling as he played sing-a-long with Elvis outside the park last Friday that this guy is milking his five seconds of fame for every bit of juice he can get out of it.

WinningUgly!
09-01-2003, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by tacosalbarojas
Did this bug anyone else as much as it did me? That this guy has the freedom to come to the park just like anyone else. Jurisprudence gone awry, "Eight Men Out" stylee. Speaking of "Eight Men Out", in the book written by Eliot Asinof, it talks about how one of the main gamblers who functioned as main conduits to the ballplayers for the fix, Abe Atell, was denied admittance to the Polo Grounds (among other ballparks, one might suspect) a year or so after the fix came out.

What would keep the SOX from denying him admitance? What are the legal issues behind an edict like that from the SOX? Aside from just the embarassment quotient, it really bugs me with the Inside Edition cameras rolling as he played sing-a-long with Elvis outside the park last Friday that this guy is milking his five seconds of fame for every bit of juice he can get out of it.

It pisses me off that we even know this guy's name - more than a year after the incident. The news-media played the video clip over & over to make this idiot into a mini-Joey Buttafucco/Kato Kalen type sleezeball celebrity. I guess referring to "Inside Edition" as "news-media" is a bit of a stretch...isn't this the same tabloid TV show that crapped out Bill O'Reilley?

hose
09-01-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by tacosalbarojas

What bothers me is that the judge allowed this all to happen by slapping Legue on the wrist to begin with.

I would like to think that this judge will feel the backlash from the voters next election , but in all honesty he isn't going to get booted off the bench by the voters.

A judge named Ryan from the Rolling Meadows courthouse was exposed for being a complete and total ASS and still survived election despite every tv, radio, and newspaper calling for his ouster. This piece of work made a lady stand in front of his bench while she pleaded to be allowed to use the restroom. Ryan refused to let her go and the poor lady peed right in front of the court room and was humiliated to no end.

This was just one example of how idiotic this judge Ryan is. There are plenty more controversial things this jerk has done.

Even all the Bar Associations advised a NO vote for Ryan, but he survived the election. Turns out that there was more than one Ryan on the ballot and not enough knowledgeable voters to bounce the creep.