PDA

View Full Version : Royals will play one game after the "final" set against the sox

MRKARNO
08-31-2003, 07:07 PM
This kinda messes everything up that this game was rained out because now the royals could be half a game back at the end of the season, win that game and force a playoff with the division leader...Or the sox could just decide to run away with it now that we have a 1.5 game lead over both teams and make that last game unecessary. I'd rather the second
:)

Tragg
08-31-2003, 08:31 PM
I wish they could have played today - the royals will face a AAA Angels time at the end of the season, at best. Hopefully, we'll have won it well before then.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-31-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
I wish they could have played today - the royals will face a AAA Angels time at the end of the season, at best. Hopefully, we'll have won it well before then.

I agree. It's almost like the Royals are getting a freebie. We need to win TWO more games than them just to clinch. Otherwise those jerks get to play the Anaheim AAAngels and force a playoff.

I'd rather they got their heads handed to them twice today. Well, I guess will just have to pound lumps on them ourselves. :cool:

Tragg
08-31-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I agree. It's almost like the Royals are getting a freebie. We need to win TWO more games than them just to clinch. Otherwise those jerks get to play the Anaheim AAAngels and force a playoff.

I'd rather they got their heads handed to them twice today. Well, I guess will just have to pound lumps on them ourselves. :cool:

Plus, if that game is played, that will probably mean that the royals would have just played FOUR extremely pressure-filled games and withstood them - it will make a fifth game that much easier for them.

FoulTerritory
08-31-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

I disagree that the Angels will field a AAA type team if it comes down to that last game. I mean, you never know, but I'd be inclined to think the opposite.

If the central division comes down to that game, I would think, with the national media focusing on the game, and thus the integrity of the league in full vision, they would be compelled to field the best lineup possible.

Furthermore, just being in the limelight in such a crucial game may raise their intensity as opposed to playing the royals on a ho-hum August afternoon.

However, I do wish that this Voight guy with the 8.3something ERA would have gone tonight.

Regardless, lets just take this thing outright. I'm fired up.

Brad

tacosalbarojas
08-31-2003, 09:00 PM
Whatever. It sure doesn't look like anyone is going to lose this race, so we're going to have to win it. Win three of four against Minny at home, win two of three against KC at home, (it would be better to sweep one of these series) and hope to God that splitting that last weekend in KC will be all we need, but if we have to take three of four so be it. We've got 17 guys on this roster with playoff experience, and that's a real good thing, because this team needs to finish a few games ahead of its manager. Lead us down the stretch boys!

tacosalbarojas
08-31-2003, 09:02 PM
I hope you're right Brad. They are the defending World Champs, so you know the character is there. On the other hand, what if they decide to start Gary Glover for that last game? Hmmmm.

voodoochile
08-31-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by FoulTerritory
I disagree that the Angels will field a AAA type team if it comes down to that last game. I mean, you never know, but I'd be inclined to think the opposite.

If the central division comes down to that game, I would think, with the national media focusing on the game, and thus the integrity of the league in full vision, they would be compelled to field the best lineup possible.

Furthermore, just being in the limelight in such a crucial game may raise their intensity as opposed to playing the royals on a ho-hum August afternoon.

However, I do wish that this Voight guy with the 8.3something ERA would have gone tonight.

Regardless, lets just take this thing outright. I'm fired up.

Brad

It will be their last game as WS champions too and with the chance to influence the playoffs, I doubt they will lay down.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-31-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
It will be their last game as WS champions too and with the chance to influence the playoffs, I doubt they will lay down.

Yes, you and Taco make a good point. Anaheim would be too proud to lie down on national TV.

Still, I would prefer KC lost twice today.

:bandance:

Lip Man 1
08-31-2003, 09:46 PM
A few points.....

In the past Proud To Be Your Bud Selig has issued memos 'reminding" teams that they aren't allowed to rest their best players in key playoff implicating series so I'd imagine that he'll do the same thing in this case.

and I agree with the contention that if the "final" game is needed it'll be on national TV and Scioscia won't lay down for it. He seems to me to be an "old school" type player / manager, and has more respect for the game as well as for the Sox and Royals then that.

Plus like I stated last night if the Sox win a minimum of 9 of the 14 games against KC and Minnesota it won't matter anyway.

Lip

TornLabrum
08-31-2003, 09:49 PM
I worry more about Jerry Manuel resting four starters against the Twins or Royals than I do about Scoscia throwing out a AAA team.

tacosalbarojas
08-31-2003, 09:57 PM
Good point torn...

I can just see it now, Sunday afternoon in KC.

ss Graffanino
cf Rowand
dh Thomas
rf Ordonez
lf Lee
1b Daubach
3b Crede
c Olivo
2b Harris

Throw in Schoeneweis to start the game and you'd have the quintessential Manuel Sunday afternoon lineup card.

Nick@Nite
08-31-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
and I agree with the contention that if the "final" game is needed it'll be on national TV and Scioscia won't lay down for it. He seems to me to be an "old school" type player / manager, and has more respect for the game as well as for the Sox and Royals then that.

I like that thought. After watching Scioscia manage the All-Star game as if it were a WS game, with a bunch of players he'd normally not manage... he seems old school indeed. Laying down to Scioscia would probably be sacrilegious to him.

TornLabrum
08-31-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by PinchALoaf
I like that thought. After watching Scioscia manage the All-Star game as if it were a WS game, with a bunch of players he'd normally not manage... he seems old school indeed. Laying down to Scioscia would probably be sacrilegious to him.

Anyone who has had to zip up Ron Kittle's pants on a regular basis has to take the game seriously.

Nick@Nite
08-31-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Anyone who has had to zip up Ron Kittle's pants on a regular basis has to take the game seriously.

Got to admit TL... my brain cells are fried at the moment cuz that went right over my head :?: ... but it is colorful, though I'd rather not give it much thought! :D:

Lip Man 1
08-31-2003, 11:08 PM
Scoiscia and Kittle were teammates in the Dodgers minor league system before Ron was released after he broke his neck in a play at the plate in his very first game. (Scioscia's hit was the one that sent him sliding into home)

Lip

Nick@Nite
08-31-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Scoiscia and Kittle were teammates in the Dodgers minor league system before Ron was released after he broke his neck in a play at the plate in his very first game. (Scioscia's hit was the one that sent him sliding into home)

Lip

Wow... not only could Scioscia really block the plate in his day, but he dressed for two, too?

soxtalker
09-01-2003, 09:24 AM
Anyone been monitoring the KC and MN boards and press to see what their take on this is?