PDA

View Full Version : The Road Trip...

jabrch
08-31-2003, 05:37 PM
OK, here's my assessment...

It wasn't perfect...It had its flaws. But I'll take it...

Good

1) 2 of 3 vs NYY

2) 4 of 6 overall

3) Bats are hot

4) Arms are hot

5) Pen was not overused at all

6) Everyone seems to be having fun (except Buehrle)

7) Manuel has limited how much he played with (tinkered) with the batting order. It seems he now only makes 1 change per day. That's an improvement; sadly enough

Bad
1) CottsGate - more upsetting is how it aggrevated Buehrle. If this guy is going to consider resigning here after next season instead of being a Cardinal, we need to treat him better.

2) Manuel still sits starters when they don't need the rest

3) We lost one game to Detroit - excuseless with Buehrle starting

4) We didn't get the sweep in NYC when we had every opportunity

All in all, it was a success. Let's be honest about it, if we win 2/3 of our road games in September (7 of 10 from the 3 @ Boston, 3 @ Minn and 4 @ KC) then this team will have a very good shot at it. Fortunately, although we have a well documented tough schedule, 15 of 25 games are at home where we are pretty strong when we have crowds. Fortunately it seems like we will have decent crowds the rest of the way.

I am not overly optimistic, but I still think we have by far the best talent in this division. Now it is just a matter of producing on the field.

Kilroy
08-31-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
1) CottsGate - more upsetting is how it aggrevated Buehrle. If this guy is going to consider resigning here after next season instead of being a Cardinal, we need to treat him better.

Buehrle has to go thru arbitration for 3 seasons before he's walking to Cardinalville. Worry about where he's signing in 2006. For now, he just needs to pitch if he wants to do better in arbitration money-wise than the contract he turned down.

jabrch
08-31-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Buehrle has to go thru arbitration for 3 seasons before he's walking to Cardinalville. Worry about where he's signing in 2006. For now, he just needs to pitch if he wants to do better in arbitration money-wise than the contract he turned down.

Is he that far away? That's great to hear. I thought we had him for next season, but then he could walk. Then I don't really care where he is in 2006. 2003 is far more important. Then I have concerns about 2004 and 2005, but they are minor for now. 2006 is nothing to think about.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.