PDA

View Full Version : Manuel Waffling On 4 Man Rotation


Lip Man 1
08-31-2003, 02:03 AM
Folks:

Some of you are about to have your Sunday morning ruined.

I believe it wasn't three days ago someone started a thread here at WSI and posted the link where Manager Gandhi stated he was going to a four man rotation.

WELL GUESS WHAT.....

Phil Rogers has a story in the Sunday Tribune which quotes Manager Gandhi as having second thoughts now about doing this. Gandhi claims that to pull that off the bullpen "would have to be right" and that he is now leaning towards sticking Danny "I Can't Pitch" Wright back in as the 5th starter (even though Wright may, notice I said may, have found a place as a long man in the pen.)

Any wonder the Sox haven't lived up to their potential?

Somewhere Rick White is laughing don't you think?

If some of you feel this is simply another "minor irritant" thanks to our wishy washy manager (who makes Charlie Brown look like a paragon of decisiveness), consider this paragraph from Rogers' column:

"The Sox's current plans have the fifth starter's spot coming up four more times : Sept. 9 against Minnesota, Sept. 14 at Boston, Sept. 20 against Kansas City and Sept. 25 at Kansas City. Given the 3-10 record and 6.77 earned-run average from the four pitchers who have been in that role, that's hardly ideal."

Gandhi never fails to amaze me.

Perhaps someone can post the WSI thread link with Manuel's comments about going to a four man rotation.

Obviously this change of direction has caught Phil in a loop. Remember just a few days ago he wrote a column saying Manuel would be proven correct in the Cotts / Buehrle debacle regardless of how badly the 5th starters have performed.. now he's saying going back to a five man rotation is "hardly ideal..."

Strange, bizarre, unbelieveable. It's a miracle the players can win ANY games with this type of indecisiveness.

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
08-31-2003, 07:29 AM
If you really want to win the division, here's my best advice:

Ignore this man --------------> :jerry

voodoochile
08-31-2003, 09:26 AM
Shocking... I am stunned beyond belief that he now does not plan to stick to the 4-man rotation plan. I realize it is an abberation for Jerry to say something and then completely backtrack/forget about it a few days later, so I will just go back to worrying about his tinkering and nothing else...

:jerry
"4-man, 5-man... What's the difference? With any luck, I'll have these guys so mad at me by the end of the season they will be killing everyone they play. I call it managing despite the spite..."

voodoochile
08-31-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Perhaps someone can post the WSI thread link with Manuel's comments about going to a four man rotation.

Here Ya' Go (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23779)

OEO Magglio
08-31-2003, 09:59 AM
Why won't this guy just resign.

RedPinStripes
08-31-2003, 10:03 AM
4 man rotaion is the only way they'll win this division imo.

TheRockinMT
08-31-2003, 11:58 AM
The idea of a four-man rotation intrigues us long suffering Sox fans, who yearn for the playoffs and World Series, but...

Pitchers today are not prepared to skip that extra day of rest and we might burn them out winning the division only to get blown away in the playoffs because of the tired arm syndrome. We may need that fifth starter maybe througha trade today, or bringing up someone with a bit of experience such as Jon Rausch or Josh Stewart. Danny Wright may also be a choice to fill that role.

Manuel is right to be cautious. We may see the 4-man rotation, but there must be a strong bullpen behind them becasue I can see 6-7 innings max on the starters so they can save their arms. Baseball history is replete with 4-man and even 3-man rotations in September that failed.

voodoochile
08-31-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT
The idea of a four-man rotation intrigues us long suffering Sox fans, who yearn for the playoffs and World Series, but...

Pitchers today are not prepared to skip that extra day of rest and we might burn them out winning the division only to get blown away in the playoffs because of the tired arm syndrome. We may need that fifth starter maybe througha trade today, or bringing up someone with a bit of experience such as Jon Rausch or Josh Stewart. Danny Wright may also be a choice to fill that role.

Manuel is right to be cautious. We may see the 4-man rotation, but there must be a strong bullpen behind them becasue I can see 6-7 innings max on the starters so they can save their arms. Baseball history is replete with 4-man and even 3-man rotations in September that failed.

Acctually, no, I don't care whether he uses a 5-man or 4-man rotation. I thought things were fine when we were skipping the 5th starter as possible all season until Thursday(?). I do find it hilarious that he says something so definitive and then immediately takes it back. He does it all the time. You can almost count on whatever he says being the opposite of what he does...

Jurr
08-31-2003, 12:07 PM
Like Jose Valentin said, "If we keep winning series, we're going to be okay"
If that 5th guy is coming up in a situation where the Sox need a win to get a series win, they shouldn't play him.
The deal is, if they win 2 of three or 3 of 4 against KC and Minn, then they're going to win the division anyway. If they're losing series or in danger of losing them, you can't have the 5th starter going. Soooo...hopefully, the other starters remain solid (along with the bats) and minimize the importance of those games that the #5 guy appears in. Also, scoring in droves when the 5th guy is on the bump may help.

BEST CASE SCENARIO: Dan Wright has his head on straight and can pitch like Danny "I'm now down 3-0 after one and it's lights out" Wright. I still think he's got great stuff...he's all about location, location, location.

firejauron
08-31-2003, 06:22 PM
Speaking of the rotation, does anyone know what the pitching matchups are for the Boston series?

soxtalker
08-31-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Acctually, no, I don't care whether he uses a 5-man or 4-man rotation. I thought things were fine when we were skipping the 5th starter as possible all season until Thursday(?). I do find it hilarious that he says something so definitive and then immediately takes it back. He does it all the time. You can almost count on whatever he says being the opposite of what he does...

I pretty much agree with this. It does mean that we can't really take much of what JM says that he intends to do very seriously, but most of us on this board were leaning that direction anyway. And while I'd love to know the future plans, it probably doesn't hurt if the opposition is a bit confused. It does hurt if our players are confused.

On the 4-man vs. 5-man rotation, I get the sense that the failure of the pitching staff toward the end of the 2000 season really has left an imprint on JM. He's being super cautious to avoid the same problem this year.

idseer
08-31-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
I pretty much agree with this. It does mean that we can't really take much of what JM says that he intends to do very seriously, but most of us on this board were leaning that direction anyway. And while I'd love to know the future plans, it probably doesn't hurt if the opposition is a bit confused. It does hurt if our players are confused.

On the 4-man vs. 5-man rotation, I get the sense that the failure of the pitching staff toward the end of the 2000 season really has left an imprint on JM. He's being super cautious to avoid the same problem this year.

i thought the pitching was pretty good at the end of 2000. why does everyone keep suggesting it was worn out? it wasn't pitching that caused the early playoff exit.

tacosalbarojas
08-31-2003, 09:22 PM
To the poster who wanted to know the pitching matchups - Burkett and Lowe are going for Boston. We're sedning Colon and Buehrle, I believe. Unless Neal Cotts gets recalled, of course.

firejauron
09-01-2003, 12:43 PM
Thanks Taco! Sounds like some good matchups.